General political chat

ImperfectPixie

Advertisement
MASSACHUSETTS BRINGS BACK SUPERMARKET PLASTIC BAGS
by Kevin Ryan

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker today became the latest politician to reverse his community’s long running war on plastic bags.

"From now on, reusable bags are prohibited and all regulations on plastic bag bans are lifted," he said, announcing a new public health order related to grocery stores and pharmacies in the state.

“Grocery store and pharmacy employees shall not perform bagging of retail products if reusable checkout bags are used and customers at grocery stores and pharmacies shall not use reusable checkout bags until further notice.”

The order also prohibits stores from charging customers for paper bags or single-use plastic bags. Other features of the public health order require grocery stores and pharmacies to:

• Hold at least one hour per day of shopping time for adults over 60-years old.
• Offer hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes, as available, for customers to use in store for cleaning carts.
• Enact procedures to ensure customers and staff maintain 6 feet of distance.
• Close all self-serve food stations.

Last week New Hampshire became the first state to ban reusable bags. Governor Chris Sununu ordered all grocery stores, supermarkets, and other retail stores to use paper or plastic.

“Our grocery store workers are on the front lines of COVID-19, working around the clock to keep New Hampshire families fed,” Sununu said. “With identified community transmission, it is important that shoppers keep their reusable bags at home, given the potential risk to baggers, grocers, and customers.”

“Reusable checkout bags that have not been sufficiently disinfected could potentially contribute to the spread of COVID-19 among staff and customers at these establishments,” Mayor Sumbul Siddiqui of Cambridge, MA said in a statement announcing his town’s ban on reusable bags prior to the Massachusetts order.

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh had previously announced the same measures there.

The Massachusetts Food Association urged all municipalities to suspend restrictions on plastic and ban reusable bags, saying such measures would protect cashiers and other employees at supermarkets.

However, many longtime advocates for banning plastic bags were upset at the reversal, which is not certain to be temporary or mark the beginning of a long term shift.

“Whether something is safe or not depends on the system around it,” said Kirstie Pecci, director of the zero waste project at the Conservation Law Foundation in Boston.

“The jury is out on whether this is an effective measure,” said Janet Domenitz, executive director of MASSPIRG, a Boston-based advocacy group. “At the same time, most Bay Staters agree that single-use plastic is a source of waste and litter. It’s made from fossil fuels and harms our marine life. We look forward to getting back to reducing all of it soon.”

SOURCES:
Any idea how that affects town-based plastic bag bans?

Lensman

Premium Member
I find the reports somewhat conflicting.

This one appears optimistic:

While this one appears grim:

Here's another one that is more of a view into one or two hospitals in Queens. I think it's helpful sometimes to look at what is happening on the ground even though for the larger trends you have to look at the overall numbers across the City and the state.

Quinnmac000

Some Fox News hosts have criticized one item in the massive $2 trillion coronavirus relief package: $25 million for the Kennedy Center.

But President Donald Trump, at his daily press briefing Wednesday, defended the outlay, saying that the arts organization has “suffered greatly” because it has been forced to cancel performances and close during the crisis.

“It was $35 million but we took off 10, but I am a fan of that,” he said. “The Kennedy Center has suffered greatly because no one can go there. It is essentially closed. And they do need some funding. I said, ‘Look, that was a Democrat request. That was not my request.’ And I said, you have got to give them something. It is something that they wanted. The Democrats have treated us fairly.”

Angel Ariel

Some Fox News hosts have criticized one item in the massive $2 trillion coronavirus relief package: $25 million for the Kennedy Center.

But President Donald Trump, at his daily press briefing Wednesday, defended the outlay, saying that the arts organization has “suffered greatly” because it has been forced to cancel performances and close during the crisis.

“It was $35 million but we took off 10, but I am a fan of that,” he said. “The Kennedy Center has suffered greatly because no one can go there. It is essentially closed. And they do need some funding. I said, ‘Look, that was a Democrat request. That was not my request.’ And I said, you have got to give them something. It is something that they wanted. The Democrats have treated us fairly.”
I'm genuinely surprised to see this comment from him. Good surprised.

(It's not "essentially" closed, though - it's really closed. Like most, if not all, arts organizations are right now :( )

Jimmy Thick

One of the wealthiest companies in the world just set up a relief fund asking for donations to help their employees.

While we aren’t expecting anyone to do so, you can make a voluntary donation to the fund if you desire to do so.

I should help Amazon employees while the owner is worth over 100 billion? Will Amazon get a chunk of the recently passed stimulus?

Do people realize there are homeless with nothing, absolutely nothing?

DoubleJ21

One of the wealthiest companies in the world just set up a relief fund asking for donations to help their employees.

While we aren’t expecting anyone to do so, you can make a voluntary donation to the fund if you desire to do so.

I should help Amazon employees while the owner is worth over 100 billion? Will Amazon get a chunk of the recently passed stimulus?

Do people realize there are homeless with nothing, absolutely nothing?
Just to be clear, Amazon isn’t soliciting donations. In order to operate a fund like this they’re required to make it open to public donations. The fund is intended to be funded by a $25 million injection by Amazon.

Lilofan

Yeah, see...I can acknowledge that "a Chinese virus" is linguistically correct, but I will still use COVID-19 simply because I don't want to be mistakenly lumped into the same crowd as racists.
It would be hypocrisy of some to name it the Chinese virus when high end travel and tourism, USA real estate agents cater to many rich Chinese to come to LA, SF, NYC, and Las Vegas just as examples to spend their millions to support the U.S. economy. And unless it changes by our elected officials, 80% of our medication come from China. I don't think USA companies that have strong relationships with China ( aka TWDC ) wouldn't be calling it the Chinese virus since we are dependent on China for electrical equipment, computers, optical and medical equipment, apparel, fabric, and textiles. If covid19 originated in USA, and it got nicknamed the Gringovirus, how would we feel? And we better believe Trump will have a temper tantrum on that one.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

From what I read this morning, it appears that the actual vote (in the House?) will happen Friday, on the stimulus package. Hopefully, that will finalize it. (I find the voting process confusing, as it's been delayed a few times.)

@Tony the Tigger , I looked at various sources today, and I pasted below a section explaining the benefit for small businesses.

If I understood it correctly, it appears that as long as employees are retained (for 8 weeks) during the next few months, you don't have to repay the "loan" back to the government. Hopefully, this helps your business.

From USA Today (March 26, 2020):
  • The bill would give small businesses access to a nearly $350 billion loan program to cover monthly expenses like payroll, rent and utilities. The loans would not have to be repaid if businesses maintained their workforce.
  • The eight weeks of assistance would be retroactive to Feb. 15, 2020 to help bring back workers who have already been laid off.

draybook

It would be hypocrisy of some to name it the Chinese virus when high end travel and tourism, USA real estate agents cater to many rich Chinese to come to LA, SF, NYC, and Las Vegas just as examples to spend their millions to support the U.S. economy. And unless it changes by our elected officials, 80% of our medication come from China. I don't think USA companies that have strong relationships with China ( aka TWDC ) wouldn't be calling it the Chinese virus since we are dependent on China for electrical equipment, computers, optical and medical equipment, apparel, fabric, and textiles. If covid19 originated in USA, and it got nicknamed the Gringovirus, how would we feel? And we better believe Trump will have a temper tantrum on that one.

Gringo isn't a definition of region or ethnicity/race. Call it the American virus and you'd be comparing apples to apples.

MinnieM123

Good. May other news outlets quickly follow suit. I attempted to watch Dear Leader’s self-praise festival of lies tonight and got all the way to where he was snorting about how he rebuilt the armed forces or whatever, and I had to turn it off.
Although I also have issues with (some) of President Trump's delivery, I personally think that the press conferences have been very informative and helpful. I've been watching them daily, (as well as tuning in to the occasional news conferences, from my own state's governor and mayor).

Maybe lower the volume if you prefer to not listen to the President's opening remarks (or the Q&A at the end).

But, please do listen to the doctors and other experts that address the public daily. We want you to be safe and informed. Take care, Buddy.

Dead2009

Yeah you are aware that "gringo" is basically used as a slur against Americans, right?

MinnieM123

This is disturbing but accurate. Why on earth would anyone who is getting state and federal unemployment from the corona virus layoff and making more money than a real job ever want to go back to work?

Iam not against helping people not earning money but I hope people understand we are at a very very dark time in America here especially when the gravy train of this stimulus runs it course.
When making a decision to pay such a large group of people, there may be some who will take advantage.

Respectfully, most Americans will graciously be thankful for the needed money. But, their real goal is to just get back their job; because for many, they also find dignity and purpose in in their work. It's not just a paycheck for most.

Kind regards, and I wish continued good health to you and your family.

Lilofan

Yeah you are aware that "gringo" is basically used as a slur against Americans, right?
When I visit Central and South America that's a common term. I reply back with some sass but not to the FARC guerillas at certain Army checkpoints where they took control of in Colombia 2001. That's a death wish. One person I know whose relative got kidnapped in Colombia in the Escobar times got released after months in captivity after family paying off.

Last edited:

Dead2009

This is disturbing but accurate. Why on earth would anyone who is getting state and federal unemployment from the corona virus layoff and making more money than a real job ever want to go back to work?

Iam not against helping people not earning money but I hope people understand we are at a very very dark time in America here especially when the gravy train of this stimulus runs it course.
Same reason why Bernie Sanders is so willing to give people free stuff. He knows there are people out that who are lazy and refuse to work for anything so he wants to reward them for that.

seascape

How can the hospital's be losing money treating thousands of new patients? The answer is simple and provides proof of why Medicare for all would be a disaster. Medicare does not pay the same amount as private insurance does. In otherwords, Medicare is subsidized by private insurance. As Covid19 requies a higher percentage of hospitalizations than young patients it shows what will happen to hospitals if the Democrats had their way and we had a single payer system.

Top Bottom