• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

LittleBuford

Advertisement
This man is invited to the cookout:

I don’t get why the policeman asked to see the licence of the guy who’d been at the receiving end of the woman’s racism.

LittleBuford

And ridiculous.
Indeed, but I suspect Kayla will be much happier and healthier in a less intolerant school. The posted article treats her behavioural issues (such as they are) as the source of the problem, whereas I view them as the outcome of being an LGBTQI kid in an environment that treats your “lifestyle” as abominable. Thank goodness she’s now out of it.

Last edited:

raven24

I don’t get why the policeman asked to see the licence of the guy who’d been at the receiving end of the woman’s racism.
He had a reason, but I don’t believe it.

I saw no reason to ask for identification.

Simple solution, don't attend. Arguing for the sake of arguing is stupid. Join the club.
Yep, that is the solution. And the rules are still ridiculous.

Indeed, but I suspect Kayla will be much happier and healthier in a less bigoted school. The posted article treats her behavioural issues (such as they are) as the source of the problem, whereas I view them as the outcome of being an LGBTQI kid in an environment that treats your “lifestyle” as abominable. Thank goodness she’s now out of it.
Absolutely. Clearly she doesn’t care about her previous school’s rules and regulations. It’s very obvious she and that school are not a match for each other.

raven24

Being black isn't a choice. Attending a private school is. Congrats on having the dumbest post of 2020 so far.
Pretty confident you missed the point.

Rosa Parks knew the rules and yet actively chose to disobey. The rules were set in place, and they were terrible rules. Just like the rules at that school.

Her race has nothing to do with that point, and if THIS is the dumbest post you’ve seen this far, then... Wait, never mind, not shocked you’d say something like that.

MinnieM123

My "guess" is that the policeman had to submit a report of the incident, as it occurred on his "watch". (I think that's most likely standard procedure in all police departments, here in the U.S.) He probably had to get the names of the 2 people directly involved, for the report.

LittleBuford

My "guess" is that the policeman had to submit a report of the incident, as it occurred on his "watch". (I think that's most likely standard procedure in all police departments, here in the U.S.) He probably had to get the names of the 2 people directly involved, for the report.
Assuming your guess is right (and it seems convincing to me!), I wish the officer had explained that clearly before asking for identification.

MinnieM123

Assuming your guess is right (and it seems convincing to me!), I wish the officer had explained that clearly before asking for identification.
Yes, it would have been preferable, but I really don't know if they have to. May be something that varies from locality to locality, or even state to state.

Willmark

Case # (who knows how many were in now) regarding waiting for all information before jumping to conclusions, this time regarding Rainbow Cake Girl.

Predictably, it morphed from the outrage/concern/condemnation (insert reason here) over the incident to a condemnation of the school. Whether people like it or not the school is protected under the 1st amendment. This is not the same thing at all as Rosa Parks, Rosa rightly fought for a public accommodation, Rainbow Cake girl is not doing the same.

The modern left is never going to agree with anything (or nearly so) established religion traditionally holds as values. Certainly not Christianity (as it’s practiced by some sects in the US) so I’m not sure what the point of this is.

She agreed to attend the school and abide by its rules. She apparently has a history that is antithetical to those rules. Her Mom then makes it an issue, takes to social media /news but leaves out key info. But here’s the kicker: being a minor there is probably even more stuff we don’t know about.

In the end this followed a fairly predictable arc here (and elsewhere) from the outrage/“how dare they phase” to trying to draw equivalencies and yet another example of how news unfolds on the internet.

TLDR? You might not like the outcome, you might not like the school or the way the story unfolded but it was all there for anyone to see if they wanted to. The school was 100% within their rights based on their religious beliefs and this is from a non-religious person.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Yes, it would have been preferable, but I really don't know if they have to. May be something that varies from locality to locality, or even state to state.
Oh, I’m sure he acted according to procedure, but a little bit of reassurance and explanation would have been no bad thing, even if it wasn’t technically required of him.

MinnieM123

Case # (who knows how many were in now) regarding waiting for all information before jumping to conclusions, this time regarding Rainbow Cake Girl.

Predictably, it morphed from the outrage/concern/condemnation (insert reason here) over the incident to a condemnation of the school. Whether people like it or not the school is protected under the 1st amendment. This is not the same thing at all as Rosa Parks, Rosa rightly fought for a public accommodation, Rainbow Cale girl is not doing the same.

The modern left is never going to agree eith anything established religion traditionally holds as values so I’m not sure what the point of this is.

She agreed to attend the school and abide by its rules. She apparently has a history that is antithetical to those rules. Her Mom then makes it an issue, takes to social media but leaves out key info. But here’s the kicker: being a minor there is probably even more stuff we don’t know about.

In the end this followed a fairly predictable arc here (and elsewhere) from the outrage/“how dare they phase” to trying to draw equivalencies and yet another example of how news unfolds on the internet.

TLDR? You might not like the outcome, you might not like the school or the way the story unfolded but it was all there for anyone to see if they wanted to. The school was 100% within their rights based on their religious beliefs and this is from a non-religious poster.
Valid points you shared, and I'm not disputing your analysis.

I think the issue is more of an emotional (not legal) one. I'm straight, and can't relate to the girl's sexual identity; but I do have a heart, and just feel bad for any child struggling with certain situations.

LittleBuford

Valid points you shared, and I'm not disputing your analysis.

I think the issue is more of an emotional (not legal) one. I'm straight, and can't relate to the girl's sexual identity; but I do have a heart, and just feel bad for any child struggling with certain situations.
This echoes my stance. I‘m not questioning the school’s legal right to expel her, but that doesn’t mean I think their policies are ethical. Ultimately, however, I do believe the expulsion will prove best for Kayla, though I worry how it will impact those LGBTQI children who remain at the school.

Willmark

Others may disagree, but in most cases, I don’t believe that a child’s choice of school can be viewed as only or even mainly their own particularly when the school in question is private.
I agree, religions, almost all of them tend to recruit and start indoctrination at a young age before most children can object and/or realize those objections rationally. Simply put parents will tend to bring up children in the same faith as their parents, etc.

I don’t really want to say too much more because there are plenty of other cases that
this can be applied and I’d prefer to leave that as a simple statement for what it is. It’s not a condemnation of religion, nor people who are followers of any faith.

But why did I go down this route? I have a sneaking suspicion there is much more to this than meets the eye between the mother and daughter. I’m guessing there is a fundamental disagreement that the mother hasn’t accepted. We’ll probably never know for sure but I’m fairly certain this isn’t really about the school with these two and everything to do with the relationship between the mother and daughter.

Another thought? It’s entirely possible this has nothing to do with the girl coming to terms with her sexual identify (if that’s indeed the case) and this is a symptom. I don’t think that likely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

As always YMMV.

LittleBuford

I agree, religions, almost all of them recruit start indoctrination at a young age before most children can object and/or realize those objections rationally.

I don’t really want to say too much more because there are plenty of other cases that
this can be applied and I’d prefer to leave that as a simple statement for what it is. It’s not a condemnation of religion, nor people who are followers of any faith.

But why did I go down this route? I have a sneaking suspicion there is much more to this than meets the eye between the mother and daughter. I’m guessing there is a fundamental disagreement that the mother hasn’t accepted. We’ll probably never know for sure but I’m fairly certain this isn’t really about the school with these two and everything to do with the relationship between the mother and daughter.

Another thought? It’s entirely possible this has nothing to do with the girl coming to terms with her sexual identify (if that’s indeed the case) and this is a symptom. I don’t think that likely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

As always YMMV.
Thanks for your response. I agree with the first two paragraphs and don’t want to speculate regarding the rest.

Top Bottom