1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

General political chat

Discussion in 'Politics and Social Issues' started by truecoat, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Sans Souci

Sans Souci Well-Known Member

I moved during my time in the Girl Scouts and it was the same type of programming in my new troop--home ec types of activities. I even earned a housekeeping badge as a Junior. If there were badges for housekeeping, then that informed what the council/troop could present as meeting activities. This wasn't due to rogue troop leaders.

I used to love to pore over the badge book with its colorful badges. It was frustrating for me to see the activities on the badges, like canoeing and hiking and never having the opportunity to do those things as a troop to earn those badges. Don't get me wrong. it's never a bad thing to learn how to mend something or to cook a simple meal. To me, having these types of activities meeting after meeting felt like I was being put into box that I desperately wanted to break out of. I don't agree with the Boy Scout's change in policy, but I can see why it would appeal to some girls.

thehowiet and Lucky like this.
  2. Andrew C

Andrew C You know what's funny? Premium Member

Troop-Beverly-Hills.jpg

Angel Ariel likes this.
  3. willtravel

willtravel Well-Known Member

And I agree with you 100%. So why not have a campaign to make changes to the activities of the Girl Scouts? Let there be choices instead of just standard activities. I have not nor wanted to be a girl scout but I would hope though activities now vs. 70"s thru 90's is different in what they offer?

21stamps likes this.
  4. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

Thank you, Trump supporters. The nightmare rolls on:

DONALD TRUMP TO BECOME FIRST SITTING PRESIDENT TO SPEAK AT ANTI-GAY CONFERENCE

President Donald Trump will be the keynote speaker at the Values Voter Summit this weekend, an event held by the listed anti-LGBT hate group Family Research Council.

Trump will become the first president to appear at the annual conference, which brings together far right activists, religious extremists as well as white supremacists.

The global embarrassment has spoken at the conference three times already, including last year as a presidential candidate. He’ll be returning to speak tomorrow morning (October 13) during the opening ceremony of the three-day conference.

The Family Research Council were classed as a hate group in 2010 by the Southern Poverty Law Center. According to LGBT rights group GLAAD, the group’s leader, Tony Perkins, has previously claimed that paedophilia is a “gay problem”, and compared being gay to using drugs.

In a statement, Perkins said: “Values voters have waited eight years for a leader who puts America’s mission first and respects the values that made America into a great nation.”

“Values voters are coming to our nation’s capital thankful to hear from a president who is fulfilling the promises that he campaigned on. Since the early days of the campaign, President Trump allied himself with values voters, promising to put an end to the 8 years of relentless assault on the First Amendment.”

“Values voters are coming to our nation’s capital thankful to hear from a president who is fulfilling the promises that he campaigned on. Since the early days of the campaign, President Trump allied himself with values voters, promising to put an end to the 8 years of relentless assault on the First Amendment.”

[​IMG]

According to the Washington Blade, Perkins also praised Trump’s actions since taking office, including the recent ‘religious freedom’ guidance the Department of Justice issued.

He said: “President Trump’s executive order on religious liberty and the follow up actions last week by HHS and DOJ, demonstrate that he is committed to undoing the anti-faith policies of the previous administration and restoring true religious freedom.”

Other speakers to attend the event include Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson along with Steve Scalise, the House Majority Whip, and Roy Moore.

http://attitude.co.uk/donald-trump-...ng-president-to-speak-at-anti-gay-conference/

thehowiet likes this.
  5. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

I understand that was your experience, and I would have been frustrated too.

My mom never tried to make us into homemakers. We did so many outdoor actives and badges during my years with Girl Scouts, my mom and other leaders focused on being empowered women.
    From everything I hear today, many leaders are doing the same, with even more activities than I had in my day.

I don't think it really has to do with the activities. I think it has to do with society's love of drama.

Here's some anecdotal comments from 2 mothers of current Girl Scouts, in 2 different cities in different regions of the country, one of them is a troop leader-

An East Coast troop-
    IMG_5347.jpg

A Midwest troop-
    IMG_5348.JPG

The problem is the individual troops, just as it always has been. If you want your daughter to do something, then invest YOUR time into making it possible. All of the "boy" activities do exist in Girl Scouts. Some people may be unlucky with the troop who is most convenient to their location.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  6. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

More trash, as usual.

Here's a little humor to offset this news.

BuddyThomas likes this.
  7. Quinnmac000

Quinnmac000 Well-Known Member

After all of Trump’s incessant harping over the NFL players’ take-a-knee protests during the anthem, he seems lacking in protocols of respect, as well.

As he sat with Sean Hannity on Wednesday night on a Pennsylvania Air National Guard base, the nightly playing of “Retreat” began. “Retreat” is the song played during the lowering of the flag at the end of the duty day on military bases around the country.

How did Trump respond?

Well, he didn’t stand or do anything to honor the lowering of the American flag. He had no idea what it was or why it was suddenly playing.

Military site Task and Purpose was the first to notice Trump sitting during the song. According to Task and Purpose, uniformed service members are required to stop what they’re doing and salute the flag as its lowered during the song while civilians are required to place their hand over their heart.

Trump not only does not stand or place his hand over his heart, but instead talks through the song and assumes it’s being played to honor him or Hannity.

Because everything is to honor the gilded toad./

Where is his complaint? Or is that just reserved for NFL players.

4 U.S. Code § 9 - Conduct during hoisting, lowering or passing of flag

https://www.redstate.com/sweetie15/2017/10/12/trump-disrespects-flag-live-television-video/

During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Lucky likes this.
  8. Quinnmac000

As for the Boy Scouts allowing girls, I don't why people are making it a big deal. Chapters are allowed to form all girl groups, keep their troops exclusively male or make coed groups per the press release sent out. The only thing new is girls offiicially allowed to join the main scouts rather than organizations under scouts such as Police Explorers, fire explorers etc.

9. thehowiet

thehowiet Wilson King of Prussia Premium Member

And this is what appears to get lost in the discussion of BSA changing. Organizations either adapt to the changing needs/wants of those they serve and survive or don’t and risk going the way of the dinosaurs.

The BSA is not forcing girls or their parents to jump ship. If people determine that the Girl Scouts serves their needs and is the best option for them then the organization will be fine; however, if not and they do not adapt to that reality then they likely will be in trouble.

I find it a bit puzzling when someone claims to strongly believe in capitalism and a free market system in one instance struggle with the application of those concepts in this instance. Unfortunately, it appears that many people who oppose the change are taking this as the left just trying to destroy America instead of an organization adapting to change.

ScoutN, wm49rs and Lucky like this.
  10. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

You think Girl Scouts is going to be in trouble?
    They are far from a "dinosaur".

People are opposed to this change because we have our own children in the program and are worried about what the future of the organization and our packs is going to be like. Shockingly people care about what has a direct impact on their own children. Sorry that it's not some elusive cause that we're speaking for or against.

11. thehowiet

thehowiet Wilson King of Prussia Premium Member

It appears you have either misread or misunderstood my post. In fact, the first part of your post proves my point. Again, if people feel that Girl Scouts serves their needs and is the best option then they will be fine. At no point in my post did I say that Girl Scouts will not survive or call them a dinosaur.

12. The Mom

The Mom Moderator Premium Member

I'm not sure that people who have not been in the military would instantly recognize the first few notes of "Retreat" and respond appropriately - unlike the familiarity of The Star Spangled Banner. Also, no one in the audience stood and faced the flag - which might have given a non-military person a clue. https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-mozilla-003&hsimp=yhs-003&hspart=mozilla&p=Robin+Williams+surprised+by+"Retreat"#id=1&vid=ee694c5359ecc2d724b32fd79adf698f&action=view It is also a failing on the part of whomever invited him, as most of what I've read about it states that whoever invites civilian guests on base is responsible for letting them know the protocol.

I guess if Hail to the Chief was played every time I walked into a room I might think that someone was playing music just for me. ;)

englanddg likes this.
  13. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Harvey. You can still be elected President.

14. Nemo14

Nemo14 Well-Known Member

or "Forever Young"? :D

15. Quinnmac000

Its more so the fact that he always talking about military and how sitting for the anthem is disrespectful to our troops and then on the military base when you are actually respecting dead troops not know what its about. It takes credibility away from any statements being made.

I know we don't agree on a lot of things. I just feel this one was an actual huge slap in the face to many troops who now feel they are being made pawns.

16. englanddg

englanddg One Little Spark... Premium Member

As has been pointed out, Blue Crabs, pretty sure.

All I know is...

NOMMERS!

bhg469 likes this.
  17. englanddg

Spoken like someone who has never lived in a ghetto, but merely fantasized about it.

Look, in Feb I was robbed at gunpoint in my apartment complex parking lot walking back from the restaurant across the street around 11p. They stole my phone, and everything in my backpack. List goes on.

And, that isn't my first experience. Not even close.

When my kid was younger, about 3 (I think), we had, in the middle of the night, a knock on our door in the middle of the night (not 10p middle of the night, 1a middle of the night). It was our neighbor (whom was friendly with us), saying she was being beaten by her boyfriend. We let her in, because, what else should you do with a woman screaming that she is being beaten in the middle of the night? Send her to the police?

Her boyfriend, whom I only knew by sight, came over, and banged on our door. RAGED that we wouldn't let him in, and tossed my kid's wagon on our roof. He kept banging saying he was going to kill us all. Finally, I had enough, and got my glock, put it behind my back, and I answered. He calmed down when I confronted him, and stepped outside with him to get him away from the house, and I never had to show him the gun or threaten him with it, though he could have seen it when I relaxed and dropped my hand to my side. I don't know.

The point is, he backed down pretty damned fast and went off to lick his wounds and sleep off whatever cocktail of booze and drugs he had taken.

Cops were called and they showed up about an hour later (yeah, response time is slow in the ghetto, imagine that (oh wait, statistics show that...but, if they show up faster, which means they patrol more, it's called RACIST)...pfft...). They cared a lot when I said I showed up with the gun at my door, wanted to see my license, searched my rooms, etc...I was treated as if *I* was the criminal threatening people.

They were more interested in what was in our place than the story that led to them being called. And, whilst I was a bit upset at the time about it, I can, in retrospect, understand it. The danger was dealt with, and here they have me...smelling of booze, telling them about some drama that happened over an hour ago, with no proof outside of a playskool wagon on our roof.

You have no idea what it is like in these neighborhoods, and I find it wholly amusing that PoC (people of color) or whatever, who have lived largely privileged lives, far from real issues outside of what they have convinced themselves they have experienced through listening to rap or whatever, want to preach to the rest of society what reality is like.

And people who think that cops treat only black people this way, are racist morons. Period. They are too stupid (or at least purposefully ignorant) to ignore WHY an officer would react that way (at least I did realize it), or they need an excuse for their own criminal and/or anti-social patterns of behaviour.

Reality is not clean. But, when the chips are down, I want the cops on MY side.

bhg469 and Laketravis like this.
  18. Laketravis

Laketravis Premium Member

Except that GS is already in trouble due to pension liabilities and dwindling membership. More and more of the profits from those cookie sales are going to debt service, not scouting programs.

19. englanddg

As far as the Boy Scouts allowing Girls on a side track program...

As an Eagle Scout, I approve.

20. englanddg

Have you volunteered for a Regional Council?

I have.

No, that isn't it.