General political chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimley1968

I saw Trudeau's "explanation" for his blackface incidents. He blames it on "layers of privilege." Ralph Northam said he didn't wear blackface one time, but did at another time to parody Michael Jackson. I'm not sure which explanation was the most weaselly.

It would be refreshing for just one of these people who get caught in these blackface incidents to say something like, "I've been a hypocrite for calling for treating everyone of any color with respect, yet I painted my skin to make fun of a race or make light of struggles with race relations. I'm sorry and will do everything in my power to never shame myself again this way." Something like this would go a long way toward earning respect.

It's so tiresome to see people refusing to take responsibility for their actions. Blaming such actions on "layers of privilege" is not taking responsibility for them.

LittleBuford

Advertisement
My knowledge of history is developed enough to understand the differences.

Which is my point—that one has to make a judgement call based on context and knowledge, because not all causes are worthy of commemoration. But when there are differences of opinion (as there are regarding Civil War monuments), whose judgement should carry more weight?

Last edited:

Nubs70

Which is my point—that one has to make a judgement call based on context and knowledge, because not all causes are worthy or commemoration. But when there are differences of opinion (as there are regarding Civil War monuments), whose judgement should carry more weight?
Not all causes are worthy of commemoration, but the sacrifice of individuals is and can be used as a warning to the future. Sanitizing history out of misguided empathy is foolish

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
This makes me wonder how Americans generally feel about monuments to loyalist or British soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War (I’ve seen a couple in Massachusetts). I’m not being rhetorical, by the way—I’m genuinely curious.

It doesn’t bother me in the least. I’m curious to see these monuments. Put this into perspective: there are six states named in honor of British monarchs and who knows how many counties, cities, etc.

Here’s a statue of Queen Charlotte after taking a roundhouse kick to the abdomen. Charlotte, North Carolina

Wendy Pleakley

Indeed, it is politics. And your rationale is essentially: it's okay for me (the left), but not for thee (the right).

At least you're being open about it though.

This statement is completely false. I never said it was okay for one side but not the other.

This is an attempt at fabricated hypocrisy.

Grimley1968

It doesn’t bother me in the least. I’m curious to see these monuments. Put this into perspective: there are six states named in honor of British monarchs and who knows how many counties, cities, etc.

Here’s a statue of Queen Charlotte after taking a roundhouse kick to the abdomen. Charlotte, North Carolina
View attachment 412432

Seriously, why is she bent like that?

DoubleJ21

This is an attempt at fabricated hypocrisy.
Then please explain your post.

I have found nothing that suggests Andrew Scheer is not 100% supportive of minorities in Canada.

Nonetheless, the left often has the view that conservative policies hurt minorities. If you are someone of this belief, I recommend Please Stop Helping Us by Jason Riley.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Seriously, why is she bent like that?
  • Description: The sculpture is a 15-foot-high bronze figure of Queen Charlotte. Kaskey said of the pose, “I used her as a mythological symbol. Leaning backward in the wind seemed appropriate for an airport and the column sets her as a stationary weather vane. The emblem of the fountain is a compass rose, suggesting Charlotte as a crossroads. The crown in her hand is counterbalanced with the backward motion as a welcome sign to the pedestrian.” The column stands in the middle of a fountain base with markings indicating North, South, East and West.

Willmark

As a rule, I'm not in favour of anyone losing their job over isolated acts such as the one being discussed.
Except there are at least three reported incidents where he did this; so not really isolated.

With a politician, there is arguably a higher standard to uphold but that is weighed against who the alternative is.
Did his opponent dress up in a similar manner? One would think the same standard applies to both.

In this case, someone with a track record of supporting minorities is far more preferable than his opponent.
So he does get a pass?

He arguably gets off easy because his opponent is far worse, but that's politics.
See above.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Except there are at least three reported incidents where he did this; so not really isolated.

True, but I don't get the sense that he has a habit of using black/brown face on a regular basis. As I've said, his actions have been supportive of everyone, which needs to be weighed against these incidents.

Did his opponent dress up in a similar manner? One would think the same standard applies to both.

I don't approve of Trudeau doing it. My standard is that it's not okay, period.

So he does get a pass?

A pass, no, but he gets off easier because it's politics. If a friend or acquaintance did this, maybe I cut them out of my life. With politics, there's no second choice waiting in the wings so consequences are less.

That's not meant to be a partisan statement, everyone does it. You'd have to overlook a whole lot of things to vote for Trump, but I get why people vote for their guy, warts and all. The phrase "lesser of two evils" has some truth to it.

LittleBuford

True, but I don't get the sense that he has a habit of using black/brown face on a regular basis.

It was regular enough that he now can’t remember how many times he did it. Something else that’s bothering me—he used an Arabian Nights theme to wear blackface (not brownface). That doesn’t even make sense. Why would he take it so much further than the theme itself warranted?

Wendy Pleakley

It was regular enough that he now can’t remember how many times he did it. Something else that’s bothering me—he used an Arabian Nights theme to wear blackface (not brownface). That doesn’t even make sense. Why would he take it so much further than the theme itself warranted?

I would speculate that he remembers exactly how many times he did it. He's not about to say "it was 11 times". By saying he doesn't remember, as long as no more actual examples come forward, the story is contained to the incidents that have been confirmed. If more examples do surface, he can say, yes, like I said I don't remember.

Club34

Really? Looking over my responses I don't believe I've personally said what should happen one way or another, perhaps you can direct me to my comments to what I think should happen?

Then why don't you actually share your opinion instead of coping out saying its a Canadian thing. You demand engagement of others but yet can't take a position yourself. Give me a break. C'mon, you're better than this.

LittleBuford

I would speculate that he remembers exactly how many times he did it. He's not about to say "it was 11 times". By saying he doesn't remember, as long as no more actual examples come forward, the story is contained to the incidents that have been confirmed. If more examples do surface, he can say, yes, like I said I don't remember.

If, as you say, he knows the number of times but prefers not to say, that suggests the number is disturbingly high.

Jim S

True, but I don't get the sense that he has a habit of using black/brown face on a regular basis. As I've said, his actions have been supportive of everyone, which needs to be weighed against these incidents.

I don't approve of Trudeau doing it. My standard is that it's not okay, period.

A pass, no, but he gets off easier because it's politics. If a friend or acquaintance did this, maybe I cut them out of my life. With politics, there's no second choice waiting in the wings so consequences are less.

That's not meant to be a partisan statement, everyone does it. You'd have to overlook a whole lot of things to vote for Trump, but I get why people vote for their guy, warts and all. The phrase "lesser of two evils" has some truth to it.

It is a good kind of racism because of who does it.

Travel Junkie

It is a good kind of racism because of who does it.

You keep posting articles from a satirical site as if they are real news.

All of your posts in this thread make a lot more sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom