• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

willtravel

Please clarify again how Obama made life horrible for you during his 8 years lol...
Plus you have made your feelings about these statues known before.
Probably started when he signed the AFC act and my husband lost his job because of the cost of health insurance. My feelings towards Obama is no different than your towards Trump. You must have a lot of time on your hands to be able to go thru my older posts.

How's the air up there. Any nose bleeds yet.

Willmark

Advertisement
Nobody is telling you what you're thinking. I can only go by the words you've typed. If you don't define what the consequences should be, it's not possible to define what "getting a pass" is.

"He's not being treated appropriately, but I can't tell you what that would look like, he just is!"
Your turn to answer my questions.

Wendy Pleakley

Your turn to answer my questions.
As a rule, I'm not in favour of anyone losing their job over isolated acts such as the one being discussed. With a politician, there is arguably a higher standard to uphold but that is weighed against who the alternative is. In this case, someone with a track record of supporting minorities is far more preferable than his opponent.

I support the guy who made a sincere apology and whose actions reflect positive values.

He arguably gets off easy because his opponent is far worse, but that's politics.

Tony the Tigger

Homeland Security focusing on white supremacists (but they’re not a problem, right?)

LittleBuford

The exception would be someone like Tarleton. I’d hope that British people could see he was not a contributor to any civilized cause. His behavior should be expressly condemned.
Truth be told, most Brits know next to nothing about the Revolutionary War. It’s something that Americans are (understandably) very passionate about, but it barely registers in the British national consciousness.

Nubs70

But this justification might then be offered in relation to any cause that people fought for, no matter how destructive or morally dubious.
My knowledge of history is developed enough to understand the differences.

Now let's get some bulldozers and clear off Hadrian's Wall as it reminds us of the Roman Occupation.

seascape

Obama, Bush and Trump are all the same. Running the country unconstitutionally by executive order. The unconstitutional running of the US has been going on longer but every President takes it a step forward. The Democrats had absolutely no problem with Obama deciding what laws would be enforced regardless of his oath of office to enforce them and all the laws and the Constitution. Republicans don't have a problem of Republican Presidents doing tte same. Until both sides can agree that the President must enforce all laws and the Constitution the two parties will never get along and the country will continue to go down the drain.

Grimley1968

I saw Trudeau's "explanation" for his blackface incidents. He blames it on "layers of privilege." Ralph Northam said he didn't wear blackface one time, but did at another time to parody Michael Jackson. I'm not sure which explanation was the most weaselly.

It would be refreshing for just one of these people who get caught in these blackface incidents to say something like, "I've been a hypocrite for calling for treating everyone of any color with respect, yet I painted my skin to make fun of a race or make light of struggles with race relations. I'm sorry and will do everything in my power to never shame myself again this way." Something like this would go a long way toward earning respect.

It's so tiresome to see people refusing to take responsibility for their actions. Blaming such actions on "layers of privilege" is not taking responsibility for them.

LittleBuford

My knowledge of history is developed enough to understand the differences.
Which is my point—that one has to make a judgement call based on context and knowledge, because not all causes are worthy of commemoration. But when there are differences of opinion (as there are regarding Civil War monuments), whose judgement should carry more weight?

Last edited:

Nubs70

Which is my point—that one has to make a judgement call based on context and knowledge, because not all causes are worthy or commemoration. But when there are differences of opinion (as there are regarding Civil War monuments), whose judgement should carry more weight?
Not all causes are worthy of commemoration, but the sacrifice of individuals is and can be used as a warning to the future. Sanitizing history out of misguided empathy is foolish

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
This makes me wonder how Americans generally feel about monuments to loyalist or British soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War (I’ve seen a couple in Massachusetts). I’m not being rhetorical, by the way—I’m genuinely curious.
It doesn’t bother me in the least. I’m curious to see these monuments. Put this into perspective: there are six states named in honor of British monarchs and who knows how many counties, cities, etc.

Here’s a statue of Queen Charlotte after taking a roundhouse kick to the abdomen. Charlotte, North Carolina

Wendy Pleakley

Indeed, it is politics. And your rationale is essentially: it's okay for me (the left), but not for thee (the right).

At least you're being open about it though.
This statement is completely false. I never said it was okay for one side but not the other.

This is an attempt at fabricated hypocrisy.

Grimley1968

It doesn’t bother me in the least. I’m curious to see these monuments. Put this into perspective: there are six states named in honor of British monarchs and who knows how many counties, cities, etc.

Here’s a statue of Queen Charlotte after taking a roundhouse kick to the abdomen. Charlotte, North Carolina
View attachment 412432
Seriously, why is she bent like that?

Top Bottom