General political chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willmark

His actions have been criticized and he's had to apologize. Argue that the consequences thus far aren't enough if you wish, but saying he's getting a pass is a lie.
Lets see if this will help: should he resign? if not, why not?

Because no matter how much you want to try an ascribe motive I havent said one way or another what I personally think (there's pointing it out a second time).

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

Lets see if this will help: should he resign? if not, why not?

Because no matter how much you want to try an ascribe motive I havent said one way or another what I think (there's pointing it out a second time).

You've claimed he's getting a pass. So right back at you - what do you think should be the consequences?

When you say he's getting a pass you ARE saying that you disagree with the consequences thus far.

Willmark

You've claimed he's getting a pass. So right back at you - what do you think should be the consequences?
Sure I'll go first: this is a problem for Canada and Canadians to resolve not the US. There's what I think the consequnces should be, they decide not us.

And commenting on "getting a pass" is a commentary of the reaction of the media here and abroad, not my own, not matter how many times you try to tell me what I'm thinking when I type. Thanks.

Your turn to answer.

Nubs70

This makes me wonder how Americans generally feel about monuments to loyalist or British soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War (I’ve seen a couple in Massachusetts). I’m not being rhetorical, by the way—I’m genuinely curious.
They fought for their cause at the cost of many lives. They deserve to be remembered.

Wendy Pleakley

Sure I'll go first: this is a problem for Canada and Canadians to resolve not the US. There's what I think the consequnces should be, they decide not us.

And commenting on "getting a pass" is a commentary of the reaction of the media here and abroad, not my own, not matter how many times you try to tell me what I'm thinking when I type. Thanks.

Your turn to answer.

Nobody is telling you what you're thinking. I can only go by the words you've typed. If you don't define what the consequences should be, it's not possible to define what "getting a pass" is.

"He's not being treated appropriately, but I can't tell you what that would look like, he just is!"

Grimley1968

This makes me wonder how Americans generally feel about monuments to loyalist or British soldiers who fought in the Revolutionary War (I’ve seen a couple in Massachusetts). I’m not being rhetorical, by the way—I’m genuinely curious.

If they behaved with honor, I’m fine with it. In addition to being a war for independence it was also really America’s first civil war. As such, there were heroes and villains on all sides. Thousands of loyalists simply preferred life go on as before, which was pretty good for many.

The exception would be someone like Tarleton. I’d hope that British people could see he was not a contributor to any civilized cause. His behavior should be expressly condemned.

willtravel

Please clarify again how Obama made life horrible for you during his 8 years lol...
Plus you have made your feelings about these statues known before.
Probably started when he signed the AFC act and my husband lost his job because of the cost of health insurance. My feelings towards Obama is no different than your towards Trump. You must have a lot of time on your hands to be able to go thru my older posts.

How's the air up there. Any nose bleeds yet.

Willmark

Nobody is telling you what you're thinking. I can only go by the words you've typed. If you don't define what the consequences should be, it's not possible to define what "getting a pass" is.

"He's not being treated appropriately, but I can't tell you what that would look like, he just is!"
Your turn to answer my questions.

Wendy Pleakley

Your turn to answer my questions.

As a rule, I'm not in favour of anyone losing their job over isolated acts such as the one being discussed. With a politician, there is arguably a higher standard to uphold but that is weighed against who the alternative is. In this case, someone with a track record of supporting minorities is far more preferable than his opponent.

I support the guy who made a sincere apology and whose actions reflect positive values.

He arguably gets off easy because his opponent is far worse, but that's politics.

Tony the Tigger

Homeland Security focusing on white supremacists (but they’re not a problem, right?)

LittleBuford

The exception would be someone like Tarleton. I’d hope that British people could see he was not a contributor to any civilized cause. His behavior should be expressly condemned.

Truth be told, most Brits know next to nothing about the Revolutionary War. It’s something that Americans are (understandably) very passionate about, but it barely registers in the British national consciousness.

Nubs70

But this justification might then be offered in relation to any cause that people fought for, no matter how destructive or morally dubious.
My knowledge of history is developed enough to understand the differences.

Now let's get some bulldozers and clear off Hadrian's Wall as it reminds us of the Roman Occupation.

seascape

Obama, Bush and Trump are all the same. Running the country unconstitutionally by executive order. The unconstitutional running of the US has been going on longer but every President takes it a step forward. The Democrats had absolutely no problem with Obama deciding what laws would be enforced regardless of his oath of office to enforce them and all the laws and the Constitution. Republicans don't have a problem of Republican Presidents doing tte same. Until both sides can agree that the President must enforce all laws and the Constitution the two parties will never get along and the country will continue to go down the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom