• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Willmark

Bill of Rights and later Amendments. To the Constitution. Not the Bill of Rights - they have never, nor can they be, amended. Amendments can be repealed and new amendments added, through a very clearly defined process.AFAIK, Prohibition is the only Amendment that has been repealed. It was quickly recognized that it was a "solution" to a problem that actually created more problems.
Correct.

A good example is the 12th amendment modifying the Constitution (because it wasn’t quite clear what problems were inherent in the system as devised) with the election of the President and Vice President. The 12th itself was in turn was superseded by the 20th and changed further still by the 21st (to a degree).

And yes the only Amendment to be repealed was the 19th.

The 19th is a perfect example of why banning things are a bad idea at a Constitutional level and strangely relevant today. It taught an entire generation of Americans the possibility for disregarding the law, gave rise to organized crime that took 60-70 years to break.

It was a bad idea born of good intentions. And we all know (or should); “the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.”

Grimley1968

Advertisement
And now that I've done further research myself, I understand why people say you cannot alter the bill of rights... which is considered the first 10 amendments. But theoretically you can add amendments that could nullify any amendment in the constitution? Like has happened with prohibition.
Prohibition was the only amendment I can recall that proscribed individual rights. All others protect individual rights, unless I’m mistaken. Besides causing massive social disruption, the 18th Amendment was unpopular because of this unusual limiting of freedom. I’m amazed it took as long as it did to repeal that. I think it’s far, far less likely we’d ever have an amendment that would limit rights that previous amendments protect.

Willmark

And now that I've done further research myself, I understand why people say you cannot alter the bill of rights... which is considered the first 10 amendments. But theoretically you can add amendments that could nullify any amendment in the constitution? Like has happened with prohibition.
Yep you can supersede an amendment ie repeal it, but the first ten in terms of changing it? No.

Amendments can also be used to change the text of the Constitution itself, check the example I gave a post ago about the 12th.

To a lot people it’s confusing because they didn’t or don’t understand the founders intent: a fairly weak federal government. In fact the first attempt at a framework, the Articles of Confederation was too weak. So they went back and drew up what we currently have but all the while mindful of spreading out power across the the government and the states.

Disney Analyst

Yep you can supersede an amendment ie repeal it, but the first ten in terms of changing it? No.

Amendments can also be used to change the text of the Constitution itself, check the example I gave a post ago about the 12th.

To a lot people it’s confusing because they didn’t or don’t understand the founders intent: a fairly weak federal government. In fact the first attempt at a framework, the Articles of Confederation was too weak. So they went back and drew up what we currently have but all the while mindful of spreading out power across the the government and the states.
Understood. All very fascinating.

raven24

As my fiancee is Canadian, I just find it interesting how you present your country on these forums when the narrative I hear from him is vastly different. There is a reason he is choosing to move to Florida with me and not have me move there
???
Different experiences and opinions?

I don’t find America to be great at all. Some do though.

It happens.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Premium Member
Okay...I think you have a warped view of society if you think gun rights supporters are a bunch of sociopaths that wouldn't die to protect their children. Do you think we don't feel like crap when this stuff happens? Do you think it doesn't ruin our week, or that we don't spend hours thinking about the victims, or that we don't hug our families extra tight?

When it comes to tragedy, 99.99% of us are on the same page, barring the few actual sociopaths.

This leaves the question: how do we limit the prevalence of terrorist attacks? Such questions should be answered with an evidenced-based approach, that is both rational and reasonable, with a mind toward the unique pervasiveness of firearms in this country, as well as the constitutionality and potential long-term consequences (side effects) of any proposed legislation.

Yep and they just nabbed another one in Ohio. The craving for harm lives on. It isn't getting better in 2020, so much the opposite.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Premium Member
I’m not defending him. I simply made a statement that I think his tweet was meant as a joke.
I have 0 respect for Lance Armstrong, but that doesn’t play a factor in acknowledging what the tweet was or wasn’t.
I can't support that or make excuses for it.

BuddyThomas

Welp lmao
This seems fake, but who knows . However, will all the right wingers on here decide that this is true with no evidence, simply because they want it to be true, while they previously insisted that Christine Blasey Ford was a liar. Good times.

Top Bottom