• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

raven24

Advertisement
As my fiancee is Canadian, I just find it interesting how you present your country on these forums when the narrative I hear from him is vastly different. There is a reason he is choosing to move to Florida with me and not have me move there
???
Different experiences and opinions?

I don’t find America to be great at all. Some do though.

It happens.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Premium Member
Okay...I think you have a warped view of society if you think gun rights supporters are a bunch of sociopaths that wouldn't die to protect their children. Do you think we don't feel like crap when this stuff happens? Do you think it doesn't ruin our week, or that we don't spend hours thinking about the victims, or that we don't hug our families extra tight?

When it comes to tragedy, 99.99% of us are on the same page, barring the few actual sociopaths.

This leaves the question: how do we limit the prevalence of terrorist attacks? Such questions should be answered with an evidenced-based approach, that is both rational and reasonable, with a mind toward the unique pervasiveness of firearms in this country, as well as the constitutionality and potential long-term consequences (side effects) of any proposed legislation.

Yep and they just nabbed another one in Ohio. The craving for harm lives on. It isn't getting better in 2020, so much the opposite.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Premium Member
I’m not defending him. I simply made a statement that I think his tweet was meant as a joke.
I have 0 respect for Lance Armstrong, but that doesn’t play a factor in acknowledging what the tweet was or wasn’t.
I can't support that or make excuses for it.

BuddyThomas

Premium Member

Welp lmao
This seems fake, but who knows . However, will all the right wingers on here decide that this is true with no evidence, simply because they want it to be true, while they previously insisted that Christine Blasey Ford was a liar. Good times.

draybook

Mediocre/Subpar for me but also I talked to someone else who just went back to the states after thinking life would be better but found disappointment View attachment 398133

Honestly, I'm more interested in hearing what a "brekkie" is. But in all seriousness, has anyone told these immigrants, both legal and illegal, how subpar and mediocre this place is? Maybe that would be more effective than a wall? Now I'm just wondering if I used too many commas in that second sentence. Man, late night hours are the workshop for second guessing one's self...

eta: I just realized that brekkie is probably Brexit. It's late and we just got back from the E.R. Forgive my mental haze.

DoubleJ21

Honestly, I'm more interested in hearing what a "brekkie" is. But in all seriousness, has anyone told these immigrants, both legal and illegal, how subpar and mediocre this place is? Maybe that would be more effective than a wall? Now I'm just wondering if I used too many commas in that second sentence. Man, late night hours are the workshop for second guessing one's self...

eta: I just realized that brekkie is probably Brexit. It's late and we just got back from the E.R. Forgive my mental haze.
It’s also interesting because my cousin is marrying a native South Korean, and her family is desperately trying to move to the U.S. after absolutely loving their time here.

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

What do you find lacking, in particular, compared to life in Korea?

Different strokes for different folks, but always curious to hear different preferences.
One of the best things about Korea I think for me is quality of life. You don't realize how the little things add up. So lets say you wanted to go for a trip with your friends and right before you were about to leave, your car broke down. In the US, you would have to cancel that trip right? In Korea, now you can take bus, train, plane, and taxi without it breaking the bank.

Let's say you wanted to go to a concert right and all the tickets were sold out. In the US, you would go on stub hub. In Korea, that is completely illegal and all tickets that were cancelled get refunded up to 75% until the day of the concert. Day of you can get 20% back. Thus keeping prices cheap for consumers.

Every single place has excessive discounts. Just having a cell phone gives you 5-10% off practically everywhere.

Additionally, there is a large range of low cost leisure activities so even the poorest of the poor can give and experience quality things with their children.

Even more reasons for my love is public transportation is cheap and abundant, they actually take freedom to protest seriously here, and government really is involved with small business creation and promoting it more so than the US. They are so many small business that compete with big businesses. Due to a mass shooting in the 1980s, guns are banned for all including police officers who aren't undercover so no one really worries about shootings and things like that.

You don't know what its like to live in a place where if you leave your phone or wallet on a table, it won't get stolen or if it does go missing, its because someone took it to the police station and it gets mailed to you.

Its really the one place almost all the foreigners I know never felt unsafe or scared to the point walking down dark alleys at night alone is the norm for both guys and girls.

Of course, Korea has some problems including work/life balance and sexual crimes within wealthy clubs but crimes leading to death are very rare here.

I think one of the few things America does better perhaps is we allow for more self expression in general than in Korea as Korea is strongly all about image and visuals.

I guess the gist of what I love about Korea is they really help reduce the stress of outside things by providing so many services that my stressors become less. A life with little worries and tons of options no matter where you are is a fantastic life indeed.

Its breakfast after our first part of work which we would trek to our breakfast spot, so trek and breakfast became brekkie. Nothing to do with Brexit haha.

I think the reason why America becomes synonymous with awesome is the fact media is our huge soft power. How many blockbusters and big dramas are about people living poor in the United States....(very few). How many major Hollywood shows and movies show people living life in poverty in the United States? Very few. Our own propaganda push this....Look at West Side Story....

Last edited:

DoubleJ21

One of the best things about Korea I think for me is quality of life. You don't realize how the little things add up. So lets say you wanted to go for a trip with your friends and right before you were about to leave, your car broke down. In the US, you would have to cancel that trip right? In Korea, now you can take bus, train, plane, and taxi without it breaking the bank.
Eh. Depends on where you live in the U.S. We are a big country, after all. My small town of 10,000 has a very extensive bus network. If I had to, I could get from my house all the way to Seattle by public transit for very little.
You don't know what its like to live in a place where if you leave your phone or wallet on a table, it won't get stolen or if it does go missing, its because someone took it to the police station and it gets mailed to you.
Oh, I do. You just haven’t lived in that part of the country, apparently.

Quinnmac000

Eh. Depends on where you live in the U.S. We are a big country, after all. My small town of 10,000 has a very extensive bus network. If I had to, I could get from my house all the way to Seattle by public transit for very little.
Comparison: Fox ex I'm going to Busan on a flight tomorrow from Seoul....which is approximately the same distance from Portland to Seattle
Cost to Portland:https://www.kayak.com/flights/SEA-PDX/2019-08-15?sort=bestflight_a
Cost to Busan which is currently in peak season:https://www.kayak.com/flights/GMP-PUS/2019-08-15?sort=bestflight_a

That's over a $100 dollars cheaper covering the same distance but due to train being $22 bucks coach, $67 bucks first class for a three hour high speed train ride, high quality charter bus is $23 dollars. A plane ride is $55 bucks with high demand.

Oh, I do. You just haven’t lived in that part of the country, apparently.
Good for your small town...its that way all over Korea. Not that way in the States. Next time leave your phone in Starbucks in Seattle and then we can talk.

Ironically, its part of some gun owners justification of guns to protect their property before someone robs them.

draybook

Its breakfast after our first part of work which we would trek to our breakfast spot, so trek and breakfast became brekkie. Nothing to do with Brexit haha.

I'm not going to lie. I Googled "brekkie" after reading your post and the first thing that came up was something about breakfast. I was like, nah, it can't be that. Egg on my face...

draybook

This seems fake, but who knows . However, will all the right wingers on here decide that this is true with no evidence, simply because they want it to be true, while they previously insisted that Christine Blasey Ford was a liar. Good times.

I think us "right wingers" will do the research on the Internet. The same research that has yielded facts that you and certain others have chosen to ignore. Well, that's until the same stuff is stated by Mom...

Besides, I'm sure that the CNN head honcho will release a statement saying that they stand behind him just like they did when Cuomo talked about pushing a man down some stairs...

DoubleJ21

Comparison: Fox ex I'm going to Busan on a flight tomorrow from Seoul....which is approximately the same distance from Portland to Seattle
Cost to Portland:https://www.kayak.com/flights/SEA-PDX/2019-08-15?sort=bestflight_a
Cost to Busan which is currently in peak season:https://www.kayak.com/flights/GMP-PUS/2019-08-15?sort=bestflight_a

That's over a $100 dollars cheaper covering the same distance but due to train being $22 bucks coach, $67 bucks first class for a three hour high speed train ride, high quality charter bus is $23 dollars. A plane ride is $55 bucks with high demand.
Median income in South Korea is also around $18,000/year. So, it’s not exactly a fair comparison. As an American, it may be cheaper for you. Not so much for the people that were born there.

Seattle to Portland is also very, very heavy on short notice business customers, hence the relatively high last minute prices. If you book 3-4 weeks out, the prices are much lower.
Good for your small town...its that way all over Korea. Not that way in the States. Next time leave your phone in Starbucks in Seattle and then we can talk.
Oh definitely. I suspect this is due to a difference in culture. Asian cultures are more civil, in general. Even in America, crimes rates are extremely low in Asian neighborhoods.

Last edited:

aw14

Like Kavanaugh, Covington Catholic etc...

I personally find Lemon a racist twit, but will wait for evidence on this.

Top Bottom