• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

21stamps

You are correct. My boyfriend and I don't make travel plans based upon our sexuality. We do so based upon our hobbies and interests as people. You see, we believe we were born gay - so it isn't something to be "ashamed" of, nor "proud" of. It simply is one aspect of who we are - not something that is the center of everything we do. We also don't particularly care about what people think of us, so we don't have an obsessive need for constant reassurance that others who seem so fixated on their own sexuality have.

I'm sure we won't be missed - besides, we don't fit the mold of the cartoonish, vain, middle-aged gay guys with bad bleach jobs desperate for attention because they can't let go of their youth, who run around posing in tank tops and short shorts prancing and chanting "look at me look at me I need attention!" There are already far too many experts on that out there, who unfortunately perpetrate the antiquated, 1980's, harmful stereotype of "what it means to be gay". Usually they are the ones who end up being the most negative and hateful towards other gay people who don't go along for that ride.

I feel badly for those who live in the "gay bubble", I really hope for them that someday they peek out and realize that being gay is a completely normal thing, and that most of the rest of the world doesn't care anymore. They really don't. Sure, there will always be pockets, and crazies, and they are not ever going to change, and one needs to accept that. But by and large? The rest of the world has moved on from the issue of who you sleep with or marry. The real goal. We're actually pretty normal now. Bordering on boring, actually.
A “like” really wasn’t good enough for your words. Your attitude is refreshing, not just in regards to gay people, self-acceptance and mindset in general.

scorp16

Advertisement
Wonder if any of that can be explained by a certain religion infiltrating Europe - along with their specific views on sexuality? Honest question. Let's see. Hmmm... Close to double. That's just a coincidence though, surely. Let's not get bogged down by facts.

AEfx

What part of "by and large" did you not understand that made you thought your link was relevant to the topic?

The acts of fringe criminals (not to mention the increased labeling of "hate crimes", or the large expansion of who is considered "gay" because of the over-bloating of the "LGBTQ+" term, or the fact that the country you cite counts saying bad words as "hate crimes"), do not indicate the overall sentiment of society.

No one with a straight conscience (pun intended) can tell you that gay people in the United States (Or most of Europe) are not normalized to such a point now that the vast majority of people don't bat an eye at it. It's about as unusual these days as having (natural) red hair.

In any case, I just stopped in to say hello and remind people that not all gay people, just like not all women, or black people, or Hispanic people, etc., view their lives as part of the Oppression Olympics. I am way too busy lately to go back and forth about this topic here, yet again - it's boring and unproductive, because those people who live in the real world know exactly what I am saying - and those that live and breathe the online social media victim celebration movement will, sadly for them, likely never get it.

Willmark

What part of "by and large" did you not understand that made you thought your link was relevant to the topic?

The acts of fringe criminals (not to mention the increased labeling of "hate crimes", or the large expansion of who is considered "gay" because of the over-bloating of the "LGBTQ+" term, or the fact that the country you cite counts saying bad words as "hate crimes"), do not indicate the overall sentiment of society.

No one with a straight conscience (pun intended) can tell you that gay people in the United States (Or most of Europe) are not normalized to such a point now that the vast majority of people don't bat an eye at it. It's about as unusual these days as having (natural) red hair.

In any case, I just stopped in to say hello and remind people that not all gay people, just like not all women, or black people, or Hispanic people, etc., view their lives as part of the Oppression Olympics. I am way too busy lately to go back and forth about this topic here, yet again - it's boring and unproductive, because those people who live in the real world know exactly what I am saying - and those that live and breathe the online social media victim celebration movement will, sadly for them, likely never get it.
How dare you have a contrary opinion on what has happened in your life! Your lived experiences an not someone else’s.

Don’t you know? Others know you far better than you know yourself!

scorp16

The last time I had a drink was the night Trump won. I was at Epcot and new from the returns that he had a good shot so I decided to splurge and buy a beer at Le Celier.
I was in London that night (voted early). Bought a bottle of Macallan 18 before I got back to the hotel. By 4am GMT I was calling room service asking if they had another. Living through that night was fascinating.

Quinnmac000

How dare you have a contrary opinion on what has happened in your life! Your lived experiences an not someone else’s.

Don’t you know? Others know you far better than you know yourself!
I think the main issue is when someone makes statement such as that until they experience themselves and then expect those who they said were dealing with oppression Olympics to be there for them.

It’s kinda like the woman who victim shames and states that she would never wear clothes and the victim brought it on herself then gets assaulted and expects people to be there for them

Club Cooloholic

Wonder if any of that can be explained by a certain religion infiltrating Europe - along with their specific views on sexuality? Honest question. Let's see. Hmmm... Close to double. That's just a coincidence though, surely. Let's not get bogged down by facts.

View attachment 381542
I guess stats can be used for lots of things. Take for instance the ones posted on suicide rates a few weeks ago. Many of the red states had some of the highest rates with a smattering of really cold places like Vermont. Since LGBT youth are more prone to suicide, is it possible that states where LGBT is less accepted there are more suicides? It might be if you live in West Virginia or Mississippi, you don't have that same view that there is a world that accepts as kids growing up in say NY. Just a thought. And also why making Pride month something that is showcased is important to those in less accepting areas. While some might think it's just about showing off I view it more as being a beacon to those who might feel downtrodden.

Club Cooloholic

You are correct. My boyfriend and I don't make travel plans based upon our sexuality. We do so based upon our hobbies and interests as people. You see, we believe we were born gay - so it isn't something to be "ashamed" of, nor "proud" of. It simply is one aspect of who we are - not something that is the center of everything we do. We also don't particularly care about what people think of us, so we don't have an obsessive need for constant reassurance that others who seem so fixated on their own sexuality have.

I'm sure we won't be missed - besides, we don't fit the mold of the cartoonish, vain, middle-aged gay guys with bad bleach jobs desperate for attention because they can't let go of their youth, who run around posing in tank tops and short shorts prancing and chanting "look at me look at me I need attention!" There are already far too many experts on that out there, who unfortunately perpetrate the antiquated, 1980's, harmful stereotype of "what it means to be gay". Usually they are the ones who end up being the most negative and hateful towards other gay people who don't go along for that ride.

I feel badly for those who live in the "gay bubble", I really hope for them that someday they peek out and realize that being gay is a completely normal thing, and that most of the rest of the world doesn't care anymore. They really don't. Sure, there will always be pockets, and crazies, and they are not ever going to change, and one needs to accept that. But by and large? The rest of the world has moved on from the issue of who you sleep with or marry. The real goal. We're actually pretty normal now. Bordering on boring, actually.

AEfx

If you were going to quote my posting, you should at least, you know, read it. Here, I'll highlight the relevant portion you clearly missed:

"Sure, there will always be pockets, and crazies, and they are not ever going to change, and one needs to accept that. "

It is telling that the only retort anyone has to the plain truths I am speaking about is to silently link to some article about some fringe, crazy people - because one cannot seriously refute what I am saying.

You actually are proving my point - it is so uncommon, that one guy standing up and saying something so ridiculously stupid is worthy of a national news article.

I'm waiting for someone to argue about gay representation in the media, so we can debunk that one, too - since there are now more gay people percentage-wise in TV and movies than there are in real life.

Disney Analyst

What about the other 12? Has socialized medicine provided for them?
Well... seeing as healthcare is provincial, not federal... we sadly have no say for the other 12. But I’m happy my province is helping the only person in all of BC with this disease.

Maybe the other provinces are already helping their persons with this disease?

AEfx

I guess stats can be used for lots of things. Take for instance the ones posted on suicide rates a few weeks ago. Many of the red states had some of the highest rates with a smattering of really cold places like Vermont. Since LGBT youth are more prone to suicide, is it possible that states where LGBT is less accepted there are more suicides?
As usual, lumping gay people in with trans people taints the picture. Unfortunately, there are no accurate statistics about gay youth and suicide anymore, or pretty much any other gay-related topic, because of the insistence of those continuing to promote gay victimhood by combining gay and trans people into a monolith group.

People who are trans have a medical issue - body dysphoria - which is well documented in astounding numbers to be accompanied by other associated medical issues such as severe depression, etc that greatly affect their unfortunately disproportional suicide rates. This is why they are given medical interventions (that insurance often pays for) and are allowed access to drugs like hormones and surgery that would otherwise be considered cosmetic.

Given how the cultural landscape in the United States has changed so drastically (even in "red states"), that attitudes toward gay people have demonstrably moved astonishingly quickly at unprecedented levels over the last two decades, and the abundance of gay-positivity in all types of media (there are more new TV shows/films with gay people than not), I'm willing to bet that if accurate statistics were still kept, thankfully suicide attempts by gay youth have declined considerably.

This is especially true generationally - even among "evangelical" youth, acceptance of gay people is statistically as near-universal as one could ever expect.

Top Bottom