• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Willmark

Thank goodness our elected Democrat Representatives are are tackling issues like this nonexistent crime!

The very definition of a solution in search of a problem.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Advertisement
I think that adults should behave responsibly. If you want to have sex but can’t afford a child, don’t have sex or at least wear a condom! You do not have a right to abort a child. And, if you do have a child, be an adult and take care of it. Grow up. It’s not easy. But, it’s a result of your actions and decisions. Why should I be forced to pay for your mistakes? The loser here is the irresponsible adult. I’m okay with charity helping out. But I hate the idea of government stepping in with taxpayer money to reward irresponsibility. If I’m going to help out, I want to do so based on my own decision. (Bolded for emphasis).
  1. As of today, you do have a right to have an abortion so your third statement is incorrect.
  2. Whether or not they are your mistakes or someone else’s, if large enough in scope and volume, society will inevitably pay the price by not intervening.
  3. You may only want to help out based on your own decision, but the closest you can get is voting for people to make those decisions to help or not to help on your behalf. You will continue to be forced to help out one way or another as these programs will always exist in some form and will be funded by tax payers.
As best I can tell, everyone here wants to live in a civilized society. Living in a civilized society comes with a lot of great benefits, and it also comes with a responsibility to provide additional supports and services for those in need. Not everyone directly benefits from every program, but we all benefit when the people in our communities who need those benefits receive them. You can disagree with that, and that’s fine, but that is why those programs exist. They do not exist merely as a form of Democratic currency to buy votes from irresponsible people on the tax payer’s dime. They will continue to exist in some form and you can continue to dislike that, but that is how the system works.

Quinnmac000

1. As of today, you do have a right to have an abortion so your third statement is incorrect.
  2. Whether or not they are your mistakes or someone else’s, if large enough in scope and volume, society will inevitably pay the price by not intervening.
  3. You may only want to help out based on your own decision, but the closest you can get is voting for people to make those decisions to help or not to help on your behalf. You will continue to be forced to help out one way or another as these programs will always exist in some form and will be funded by tax payers.
As best I can tell, everyone here wants to live in a civilized society. Living in a civilized society comes with a lot of great benefits, and it also comes with a responsibility to provide additional supports and services for those in need. Not everyone directly benefits from every program, but we all benefit when the people in our communities who need those benefits receive them. You can disagree with that, and that’s fine, but that is why those programs exist. They do not exist merely as a form of Democratic currency to buy votes from irresponsible people on the tax payer’s dime. They will continue to exist in some form and you can continue to dislike that, but that is how the system works.
I, 92% disagree. As much as we all want world peace, We as humans thrive on chaos, fights, drama, etc part of the reason, reality television is so popular and we thrive in echo chambers. If everything in life was calm and quiet and without conflict, man will make conflict, part of the reason why war has been one constant since the beginning. As much as everyone at times states how much they dislike it, no one can stop watching a good car crash. Remember the hierarchy of needs, where most people who live in a civil society still thrive for a sense of purpose. So for some, they need that "caste" system for their sense of purpose. Others find purpose in other methods so they are fine with others taken care of that.

However, the 8% I do agree in the fact that when it does come to society the majority enjoys more civilized moments than chaotic. We need stability which the supports and adds a layer of personal security. (The same reason why people who complain about poor people need to take responsibility for their lives are the first ones to have guns in their home to protect themselves from said people they don't want to help)

Club34

I will be more than happy to keep asking for handouts to ensure that underprivileged children do not go to bed hungry. Let’s make sure no fetus is aborted but as soon as they come out and take that first breath of air they are on their own.
Just Makin' America Great Again!!! Woot! Woot!

Club34

Again, what happens when they don’t? I apologize if I’m mistaken, but It sounds like you’re of the belief that children shouldn’t suffer because of the parents irresponsibility, so much so that you believe in the government stepping in to protect their welfare. Something doesn’t add up, so perhaps I am mistaken.
THE FREE MARKET SHALL PROVIDE!!! ;)

Jim S

The same people who state that a fetus is an innocent baby and should be protected seem to have a problem with helping to feed that same baby when he/she reaches school age.

Quite a difference between protecting life and providing a hot meal. No one is starving to death in this day and age and that is not what any on this thread is advocating.

aw14

The hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle the last few pages is mind numbing. It is very clear why some have been smart to walk away from this thread.

Jim S

I don’t see the issue with having parents be responsible for feeding their own kids. It’s time parents take some responsibility and start feeding their kids. I’m sure that if people see their kids are hungry they’ll get their posterior in gear and provide.

No we must do it for them-that is what is being said. Say anything else and you are cold hearted.

If we do it for them they will never do it for themselves. Low expectations equate to low accomplishments.

Encourage them to rise above the dependence mentality. Not doing so is what is cold hearted.

aw14

No we must do it for them-that is what is being said. Say anything else and you are cold hearted.

If we do it for them they will never do it for themselves. Low expectations equate to low accomplishments.

Encourage them to rise above the dependence mentality. Not doing so is what is cold hearted.
You know this isn't accurate. No one I have seen is saying for everyone. There are kids that are parentally handicapped and need help. There are others, as I have outlined previously, where there are circumstances. Its amazing the absolutes that people in this thread speak in.

Jim S

You know this isn't accurate. No one I have seen is saying for everyone. There are kids that are parentally handicapped and need help. There are others, as I have outlined previously, where there are circumstances. Its amazing the absolutes that people in this thread speak in.

What are you talking about-this dependence mentality is the theme of this whole conversation and I for one don't understand it.

I realize kids are parent challenged-that is what I am trying to address- my problem is not with the kid-it is with the irresponsible parent.
I will make no excuses for them.

We can and should call out the parents while supporting the kids. Stop their irresponsible behavior, stop rewarding their irresponsible behavior, and stop making excuses for them.

aw14

What are you talking about-this dependence mentality is the theme of this whole conversation and I for one don't understand it.

I realize kids are parent challenged-that is what I am trying to address- my problem is not with the kid-it is with the irresponsible parent.
I will make no excuses for them.

We can and should call out the parents while supporting the kids. Stop their irresponsible behavior, stop rewarding their irresponsible behavior, and stop making excuses for them.
No one is making excuses for a parent. In fact, I have seen nothing but calling out of parents, and rightfully so.

The overall theme I have seen is that we "shouldn't provide a lunch due to irresponsible parents". That silly statement disregards the punishment it inflicts on the kids. It also disregards what STATE LAWS provide for students. Schools are required to provide for students, whether paperwork is filled in or not.

How do you propose to stop irresponsible parents? Call protective services? When that fails, what else do you have?

Lots of folks on all sides who seem to be a jack of all trades but a master of nothing.

Utter short sightedness on both sides

Jim S

No one is making excuses for a parent. In fact, I have seen nothing but calling out of parents, and rightfully so.

The overall theme I have seen is that we "shouldn't provide a lunch due to irresponsible parents". That silly statement disregards the punishment it inflicts on the kids. It also disregards what STATE LAWS provide for students. Schools are required to provide for students, whether paperwork is filled in or not.

How do you propose to stop irresponsible parents? Call protective services? When that fails, what else do you have?

Lots of folks on all sides who seem to be a jack of all trades but a master of nothing.

We are seeing different things from the post but be that as it may-I have expressed how I feel.

A culture of dependency is not good for anyone and in this case does not serve the kids well and never will.

Why are protective services failing? Who is in charge of those agencies? Maybe those responsible for failed protective services need to be contacted by the school district. Someone somewhere has to be responsible.

Piling one irresponsible action on top of another seems to be what is short sighted. This is a problem that can and should be solved.

aw14

We are seeing different things from the post but be that as it may-I have expressed how I feel.

A culture of dependency is not good for anyone and in this case does not serve the kids well and never will.

Why are protective services failing? Who is in charge of those agencies? Maybe those responsible for failed protective services need to be contacted by the school district. Someone somewhere has to be responsible.

Piling one irresponsible action on top of another seems to be what is short sighted. This is a problem that can and should be solved.
You have and noted.

I think the generalization that this is a culture of dependency is an over exaggeration. I for one would never advocate for it, and that is why living it on a daily basis, I do not see it as such an extreme.

You can call protective services, they then actually have to come to the school, which typically takes hours. At that point the kid still needs to eat. They open an investigation, that may be on going for weeks. In the interim, the kid, again, still needs to eat. After all that time, the case can be opened or closed, but regardless of that, protective services won't do more than potentially assist with filling out a free and reduced form, and that is rare. People are responsible, but red tape will muck it up, and the kid is still harmed during the wait.

Also, you don't mention the state law aspect. So there is always that.

21stamps

What I see in the conversation is the same old virtue signaling. Someone posted a tweet about a 9 year old who used his allowance to pay off his classmates’ school lunch debt. I opened the tweet, read the article, then read the comments. Then, came back here and commented on the comments- most of which say “why is a 9 year old paying for school lunches!” “Give him his money back!” “Why isn’t the USA providing free hot lunches to all of their students, what are they charging for lunch!” “Lunch is part of public education!” One after another.

I realize that some people think compassion and charity only comes in the form of demanding more government programs, it’s easy, and lazy. I’ve watched a 9 year old save his earnings and tooth fairy money for the past 4 years and give it to programs that directly help the poor, not get lost in payroll of govt workers.
That’s compassion in action, and there are kids/families all over the country who are performing these actions. Yet, I sit here and watch all of the ridiculous comments on how more government programs are needed to make up for the current ones that aren’t being utilized correctly- because in someone’s warped mind, that’s what real caring is.

Willmark

I don’t think the issue/problem people have a problem with is hungry children?

The issue/problem is bad parents. What’s the solution for people having kids when they shouldn’t? Too often this gets mired in you can’t tell people to “not have kids” (in fact there was a case in western NY s few years back when a judge told s mother “no more” after her 10th kid on social services, imagine the hue and cry today I’d that happened now?)

Because the answer of “just feed the kids” isn’t addressing the problem, it’s addressing the symptoms.

At the same time people can’t object to being told “no more kids” if they are not taking care ones they already have.

I don’t object to feeding kids, Just not the government, especially at the federal level where its doing a spectacularly bad job at it now and parents have to take responsibility at some point.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

What I see in the conversation is the same old virtue signaling. Someone posted a tweet about a 9 year old who used his allowance to pay off his classmates’ school lunch debt. I opened the tweet, read the article, then read the comments. Then, came back here and commented on the comments- most of which say “why is a 9 year old paying for school lunches!” “Give him his money back!” “Why isn’t the USA providing free hot lunches to all of their students, what are they charging for lunch!” “Lunch is part of public education!” One after another.

I realize that some people think compassion and charity only comes in the form of demanding more government programs, it’s easy, and lazy. I’ve watched a 9 year old save his earnings and tooth fairy money for the past 4 years and give it to programs that directly help the poor, not get lost in payroll of govt workers.
That’s compassion in action, and there are kids/families all over the country who are performing these actions. Yet, I sit here and watch all of the ridiculous comments on how more government programs are needed to make up for the current ones that aren’t being utilized correctly- because in someone’s warped mind, that’s what real caring is.
Since you used quotes, which indicate someone actually said that word for word, who here said “lunch is a part of public education”?

21stamps

I don’t object to feeding kids, I simply will not the government, especially at the federal level is doing a spectacularly bad job at it now and parents have to take responsibility at some point.
This is the bones of it. You don’t take your kid to school, you get reported. The parents’ duty is to make sure a kid gets to school. School requires paperwork, somewhere in that school paperwork is a form for lunch. If a child is coming to school, continually, without lunch, and parents never filled the form to get them lunch, then figure out how to get them to fill out the forms. Put a foot down, “we will report you”, make them take responsibility or suffer consequences. The more excuses and easier we make it for parents to not provide basics for their kids, then the more parents we will see who are not providing, because they know someone else will do it. Most of these people are probably on food stamps, welfare, etc.. they had to fill out forms to get those.
The programs are there. Help is available. It’s the job of the school to make sure that’s being utilized,and parental consequences when not. It is not the job of society to then throw more money to do away with forms all together.

21stamps

Since you used quotes, which indicate someone actually said that word for word, who here said “lunch is a part of public education”?
Did you read this entire line-

. I opened the tweet, read the article, then read the comments. Then, came back here and commented on the comments- most of which say “why is a 9 year old paying for school lunches!” “Give him his money back!” “Why isn’t the USA providing free hot lunches to all of their students, what are they charging for lunch!” “Lunch is part of public education!” One after another.

Prince-1

Quite a difference between protecting life and providing a hot meal. No one is starving to death in this day and age and that is not what any on this thread is advocating.
This may be true in the United States event though the limited research I have done on this today shows that experts believe that children do die from starvation. However, "More than 12 million children in the United States live in "food insecure" homes. That phrase may sound mild, but it means that those households don't have enough food for every family member to lead a healthy life." Now of course we can blame those bad parents who had unprotected sex and can't afford to properly feed their children but that doesn't change the fact that over 12 million kids do not food that will give them a healthy life. Here are some eye opening links that you can ignore because it doesn't fit into your narrative.

https://www.nokidhungry.org/who-we-are/hunger-facts
https://www.bread.org/who-experiences-hunger

aw14

This is the bones of it. You don’t take your kid to school, you get reported. The parents’ duty is to make sure a kid gets to school. School requires paperwork, somewhere in that school paperwork is a form for lunch. If a child is coming to school, continually, without lunch, and parents never filled the form to get them lunch, then figure out how to get them to fill out the forms. Put a foot down, “we will report you”, make them take responsibility or suffer consequences. The more excuses and easier we make it for parents to not provide basics for their kids, then the more parents we will see who are not providing, because they know someone else will do it. Most of these people are probably on food stamps, welfare, etc.. they had to fill out forms to get those.
The programs are there. Help is available. It’s the job of the school to make sure that’s being utilized,and parental consequences when not. It is not the job of society to then throw more money to do away with forms all together.
Please see my comment below, specifically as someone who lives this every day
You can call protective services, they then actually have to come to the school, which typically takes hours. At that point the kid still needs to eat. They open an investigation, that may be on going for weeks. In the interim, the kid, again, still needs to eat. After all that time, the case can be opened or closed, but regardless of that, protective services won't do more than potentially assist with filling out a free and reduced form, and that is rare. People are responsible, but red tape will muck it up, and the kid is still harmed during the wait.

Top Bottom