• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

EricsBiscuit

Advertisement
I know she’s controversial... I know many don’t like her. I don’t agree with everything she says... but she does argue passionately and makes some great points:

It’s definitely elitist when it costs the average family hundreds of thousands of dollars.
I would argue that free markets aren't necessarily solely capitalist as it still exists within an anarchist style government as well. And additionally, it negates that within capitalism if a monopoly does exist, it is impossible to have a free market. (see Cable companies, Power Companies, Private Water Companies within Municipal government areas, etc).

China's capitalism is a bit weird compared to ours as they force private enterprises who want to compete to provide their employees the same benefits as working for a CCP owned company (Pension, severance, housing, and health insurance).
Monopolies exist because of government intervention. Regulations and taxes increase the barrier to entry, thus meaning less competition.

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
1984 sure seems to be an instruction manual.
Olivia Wilde Says She's "Honored" Jennifer Lawrence Vomited During Broadway's '1984'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/broadways-1984-makes-jennifer-lawrence-vomit-olivia-wilde-is-honored-1022797

"As long as I have a play, Jennifer Lawrence has a place to puke."

Jennifer Lawrence threw up while watching the Broadway play 1984 — and its star Olivia Wilde says she's "honored."

The visually unsettling adaptation of George Orwell's dystopian novel — set in a future when critical thought is suppressed by a totalitarian regime, ostensibly overseen by a party leader known as Big Brother — includes extreme torture scenes, as well as special effects such as strobe lights, sudden blackouts and jackhammer sounds. It has caused multiple audience members to become sick since its opening last month. The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Lawrence attended Monday night's performance but left her seat and vomited in the lobby — though her friend told Page Six that she had been recently battling a stomach bug.

Regardless, Wilde saw the incident as a good sign. "As long as I have a play, Jennifer Lawrence has a place to puke," she tweeted, complete with hashtags "#honored #getwellsoon #iloveyou #1984onBarfway #spewbagsnotincluded"

Throughout the London transfer's run, numerous attendees have fainted, thrown up and screamed at the actors from their seats during performances, and some even got arrested after a heated post-show argument. THR called the provocative staging "political torture ****," and the show added an age restriction just before opening.

"I'm not surprised since this experience is unique, bold and immersive," Wilde told The Hollywood Reporter of such reactions on opening night, during which one attendee passed out. "It allows you to empathize in a visceral way, and that means making the audience physically and emotionally uncomfortable."

Added co-director Robert Icke: "You can stay and watch, or you can leave — that's a perfectly fine reaction to watching someone be tortured. But if this show is the most upsetting part of anyone's day, they're not reading the news headlines. Things are much worse than a piece of theater getting under your skin a little bit."

1984, also starring Tom Sturridge and Reed Birney, runs through Oct. 8.

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
As long as we have apparently become the WDW Magic Book Club, how about this tidbit?

Michelle Obama's Biography, 'Becoming,' Could Set Genre Record

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annabenyehudarahmanan/2019/03/26/michelle-obamas-biography-becoming-could-set-genre-record/#69ebae4a3589

Having sold nearly 10 million copies across print, digital and audiobook globally since its November release, former First Lady Michelle Obama's memoir, Becoming, is on track to become the best-selling autobiography of all time, according to the book's publisher, Penguin Random House.

"We believe this could be the most successful memoir in history," said Thomas Rabe, head of one of Penguin Random House's parent companies, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Becoming sold 725,000 copies on the day of its release and 2 million copies in North America within two weeks of that, becoming the best-selling book of 2018.

The accolades don't stop there: the book also broke records in Europe and currently holds the number 11 spot on Nielsen's list of best-selling biographies in the UK (the company has been keeping track of sales since the late nineties).

The autobiography – which recounts Obama's experience as a First Lady, her life in the White House, her marriage and the births of daughters Malia and Sasha – is the first part of a $60 million deal that the Obamas struck with the publishing house back in 2017. Former President Barack Obama's autobiography is set to be published later this year, although no official date has yet been announced.

The price tag attached to the two-book deal also set a record for U.S. presidential memoirs.

DoubleJ21

Premium Member
He’s just so smart and awesome 😍:eek:
As a Rhodes scholar and a Harvard grad, he's got a leg up on squealing Beto. Him and Yang are the most interesting Democratic candidates for me. This is not an admission that he is correct on his assertions, obviously. Just that I find him to be one of the most interesting, just like Ben Shapiro believes they're the most interesting. They're bringing a somewhat fresh perspective to a rather dogmatic field.

Edit: Also I had to cringe when he brought up millennials earning less than than the previous generation did at the some age when the latest census data says this has completely reversed.

I won't be too hard on him though since the data is pretty recent.

Last edited:

aw14

As long as we have apparently become the WDW Magic Book Club, how about this tidbit?

Michelle Obama's Biography, 'Becoming,' Could Set Genre Record

https://www.forbes.com/sites/annabenyehudarahmanan/2019/03/26/michelle-obamas-biography-becoming-could-set-genre-record/#69ebae4a3589

Having sold nearly 10 million copies across print, digital and audiobook globally since its November release, former First Lady Michelle Obama's memoir, Becoming, is on track to become the best-selling autobiography of all time, according to the book's publisher, Penguin Random House.

"We believe this could be the most successful memoir in history," said Thomas Rabe, head of one of Penguin Random House's parent companies, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Becoming sold 725,000 copies on the day of its release and 2 million copies in North America within two weeks of that, becoming the best-selling book of 2018.

The accolades don't stop there: the book also broke records in Europe and currently holds the number 11 spot on Nielsen's list of best-selling biographies in the UK (the company has been keeping track of sales since the late nineties).

The autobiography – which recounts Obama's experience as a First Lady, her life in the White House, her marriage and the births of daughters Malia and Sasha – is the first part of a $60 million deal that the Obamas struck with the publishing house back in 2017. Former President Barack Obama's autobiography is set to be published later this year, although no official date has yet been announced.

The price tag attached to the two-book deal also set a record for U.S. presidential memoirs.
The irony is it was just surpassed as the #1 book by...wait for it......

Willmark

You’re suprised a libertarian who was is for more freedom sees the left/Democrats as against freedom? Because more and more of their actions are often cloaked in “its for your own good.”

At least with the Republicans they are up front in their reasons when they are for anti freedom and they sure are. Meanwhile with the Democrats/Left I get statements like “voting against your self interests” (which posters here like Buddy like to trot out from time to time) or others “it’s for your own good” or some variation? What’s at the heart of 1984? Control and the loss of freedom, subordination to the state.

Seems with the left (you say you dont fall into this so I’ll take your word for it) do indeed see it as instructive. If you don’t great a lot on the left whether knowingly or unknowingly do.

In the case of 1984 Orwell was just off by a few years/decades.

And like you do from time to time I’ve said what I want to in this matter. The last word of you want on this particular point is yours.

pjkdog

Seeing all this nasty vitriol towards AOC, I lost count of the amount of times she was called idiot, it reminded me of something, how angry and insulting the right got with Obama when he became president.
I guess they found their new scapegoat for all the hate they hold in their heart, it was a long few years for them I am sure. The true colors really shine through.

LittleBuford

You’re suprised a libertarian who was is for more freedom sees the left/Democrats as against freedom?
Nope. I’m surprised you’re doubling down on the utterly unsubstantiated—and frankly silly—claim that people on the left actually treat Orwell’s books as manuals (which is different from saying that leftists unwittingly fall into the very traps that Orwell is critiquing—that at least is a point one might seriously debate).

Willmark

Seeing all this nasty vitriol towards AOC, I lost count of the amount of times she was called idiot, it reminded me of something, how angry and insulting the right got with Obama when he became president.
I guess they found their new scapegoat for all the hate they hold in their heart, it was a long few years for them I am sure. The true colors really shine through.
Not on the right (but I’ll answer anyways): here was my first thought on election night in 2008 when he was on the podium in Chicago: “please don’t let anything happen to him.”

While I was against nearly everything he was for I don’t think I’ve ever hated him, same with AOC. I don’t hate her, I think she is incredibly misguided at best or truly clueless at worst.

Personally I’d like more polictians like Ron or Rand Paul but they are few and far between as they focus on problems, you know, like the debt. Others like say Blumenthal or AOC? Yeah...

And angry and insulting about Obama in 2008? It’s funny because some of the campaign of 2008 people were mocking McCain for his inability to use a keyboard for prolonged periods of time and his inability to raise his arms above shoulder level and not understanding why that was. And it wasn’t the classless clown Trump doing it in 2008.

(Not saying you but someone will go this route: queue snopes to claim it wasn’t the case).

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree and like someone so others mocking of them is nasty vitriol.
I disagree and dislike someone so others mocking them is just telling the truth.

scorp16

I agree and like someone so others mocking of them is nasty vitriol.
I disagree and dislike someone so others mocking them is just telling the truth.
Welcome to the US Political landscape 2019. Whatever happened to civil discourse and arguing based on the merits of ideas. The center is so far removed from both the left and the right that I don't think we can ever move back. Identity politics at its finest. I think we are all getting sucked in.

Top Bottom