• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

21stamps

Actually it's very connected as the hospital does receive most of its funding from the Ontario government and accepts the Ontario’s Hospital Insurance Plan but with that being said Rand should be able to pick any place he wants for his surgery.
It’s a Private for profit hospital that existed prior to and was grandfathered in to Canada’s system. Accepting a plan and originating from/existing for socialization are two very different things.

(Yes, I had to google to check.)

LittleBuford

Advertisement
He discussed options of what to feed them, came up with a fast food spread. Because, college kids.
He explicitly tied the choice of food to the shutdown. To be clear, I agree it's not much of a story, but Trump and his people are the ones who first framed it politically. To quote Sarah Sanders, "Because the Democrats refuse to negotiate on border security, much of the residence staff at the White House is furloughed—so the president is personally paying for the event to be catered with some of everyone’s favorite fast foods."

Jim S

I’m not trying to justify it; I’m disputing your claim that angry words directed at Trump in a Disney forum are as bad as the barrage of vitriolic public statements coming from Trump himself. A president’s behaviour used to matter.

We were assured that Trump would become more presidential after taking office; perhaps some people actually took that promise seriously and expected something better of the man.

A president's behavior matters-was that before or after Clinton and Monica activities in the White House? Or does it start or end with JFK having affairs in the White House.

Maybe being presidential is not one of Trump's best qualities but how do you rate Clinton and JFK's "presidential behavior"?

LittleBuford

A president's behavior matters-was that before or after Clinton and Monica activities in the White House? Or does it start or end with JFK having affairs in the White House.

Maybe being presidential is not one of Trump's best qualities but how do you rate Clinton and JFK's "presidential behavior"?
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/general-political-chat.925247/page-1626#post-8455597

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/general-political-chat.925247/page-1022#post-8359698

Jim S

I had read that she received a spot on the Financial Services Committee. How does that happen? No joke... WHY?

The only thing I can come up with is that the Dems are placating her and her progressive fans.. but hopefully will just give her lip service when making real decisions.

Nothing else makes sense.

Actually she wanted a position on the Appropriation Committee-Pelosi didn't oblige her. Pelosi has fired the first shot but at least on the Financial Services Committee chaired by Maxine Waters, Cortez and her ignorance will be overshadowed by Maxine.

The Empress Lilly

EU states escalate no-deal preparations after May defeat

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/16/eu-nations-no-deal-preparations-may-brexit-defeat

The way the MP's have mucked this up since the referendum makes me feel a bit less ashamed of our own congressional whores representatives. View attachment 341392
Personally I consider Brexit the quickest path to self destruction since Abe Lincoln was bored one day and said to his wife "come on, let's go to the theater tonight".

A no-deal exit is still only marginally worse than a deal, and the rejection at least leaves me some vain hope of turning the ship altogether. So in that light I'm not displeased with recent events. :)

AEfx

Again, folks keep talking about tweets. The fast food thing was a diversion like anything else. The President knows what he's doing. He's a savvy showman. You don't think he knew this would stir s___ up?
The funniest thing about it is how people keep attacking it as "low class" when in fact, the higher your income the more apt you are to eat fast food on any given day. It just shows their inherent snottiness.

If this has been another President, it would have been seen as charming or quaint or being real.

It also is really funny that one of the revelations from Michelle Obama's book was that she had to reign in her husband for spending too much on food at the White House. Apparently, the first family pays for their own personal food bill, and Obama was ordering up expensive steaks and sushi every night because he didn't realize it was on their dime, until she put a stop to it.

Oy. I don't like the man but by golly, he knows more about manipulating the media and refocusing attention than old school Madonna.
Oh, the places I could go on that topic...and how far she has fallen. She just isn't very good at it in the internet age because she can't just make **** up anymore, LOL. Not to mention just how insanely she is out of touch with reality these days. I'll always love the woman, but I do wish she would just retire for myriad reasons.

LittleBuford

Oh, the places I could go on that topic...and how far she has fallen. She just isn't very good at it in the internet age because she can't just make **** up anymore, LOL. Not to mention just how insanely she is out of touch with reality these days. I'll always love the woman, but I do wish she would just retire for myriad reasons.
I’ll go further and say that the decline began early in the ’90s. I listen to her first two albums more than any of the others.

AEfx

I’ll go further and say that the decline began early in the ’90s. I listen to her first two albums more than any of the others.
Oh, for me it isn't the music. I mean, I think MDNA is one of the most underrated albums of the decade. It's the "everything else" with her these days. What was cute and petulant and effective when she was 30 is very different than her at 60 acting the same way. She would see that as ageist, but in fact it's about maturity, not age.

This came to a head again recently when she went after Gaga for supposedly "stealing" a line from an interview some thirty plus years ago...and didn't even understand that Gaga said the opposite as she did...it just couldn't be more transparent that she is fuming that Gaga apparently is getting the acting career that Madonna always coveted above all else.

It's the stuff like that which just makes me roll my eyes these days. She is already a legend, and icon...I feel bad for her in a way that she can't just enjoy being one of the most celebrated artists of all time and has to be so petty about stuff.

LittleBuford

Oh, for me it isn't the music. I mean, I think MDNA is one of the most underrated albums of the decade. It's the "everything else" with her these days. What was cute and petulant and effective when she was 30 is very different than her at 60 acting the same way. She would see that as ageist, but in fact it's about maturity, not age.

This came to a head again recently when she went after Gaga for supposedly "stealing" a line from an interview some thirty plus years ago...and didn't even understand that Gaga said the opposite as she did...it just couldn't be more transparent that she is fuming that Gaga apparently is getting the acting career that Madonna always coveted above all else.
I loved her in Who's That Girl?, though I probably shouldn't admit it. But yes, Gaga is miles better at acting.

AEfx

I loved her in Who's That Girl?, though I probably shouldn't admit it. But yes, Gaga is miles better at acting.
Stop it. We can't keep agreeing like this. It is unnerving. I actually almost mentioned my affection for WTG in particular - which would easily make it onto my "if I could only watch 10 films over and over for the rest of my life" list. And it is because of her performance, not the relatively crap movie around it. I saw an interview with Griffin Dunne recently where he mentioned that people ask him about that film more than any other - we aren't alone.

"No tricks. I promise....(starts engine)...Guess what? TRICKS!"

As to Gaga's acting - I haven't seen the movie, might watch it on Netflix when it shows up - just like her music, I respect her a lot but it just isn't my thing. I am sure the accolades are driving Madonna mad, though. Again, I just feel bad that she isn't more content with her legacy - it is like if Buzz Aldrin was jealous and petty about whomever we first send to Mars.

LittleBuford

Stop it. We can't keep agreeing like this. It is unnerving. I actually almost mentioned my affection for WTG in particular - which would easily make it onto my "if I could only watch 10 films over and over for the rest of my life" list. And it is because of her performance, not the relatively crap movie around it. I saw an interview with Griffin Dunne recently where he mentioned that people ask him about that film more than any other - we aren't alone.

"No tricks. I promise....(starts engine)...Guess what? TRICKS!"

As to Gaga's acting - I haven't seen the movie, might watch it on Netflix when it shows up - just like her music, I respect her a lot but it just isn't my thing. I am sure the accolades are driving Madonna mad, though. Again, I just feel bad that she isn't more content with her legacy - it is like if Buzz Aldrin was jealous and petty about whomever we first send to Mars.
I hear you Louden Clear—it is indeed unnerving to keep agreeing.

Willmark

In the interest of seeing if we can get off the topic of empty calories superficial controversies, how does everyone feel about the reports Trump has suggested multiple times that the US withdraw from NATO? I'll give links from both sides so everyone can feel free to read without getting bogged down in accusations of bias.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aides-leak-tale-of-trying-to-stop-trump-from-leaving-nato

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/15/politics/trump-nato-us-withdraw/index.html

So what are everyone's thoughts on NATO? Relic of the cold war, or important treaty that has staved off a third world war for 70 years? Do we dismiss this as bluster to use the fears of our allies that we might not protect them to get more money out of them, or is Trump actually interested in an upheaval of Western foreign policy? If you believe the former, is that level of destabilization in our relationships with our allies worth whatever financial benefit we get from this?
Washington warned us about entangling alliances, we should have listened.
Not directed at you, more of a general statement:

I want NATO ended yesterday. Got a problem X country in Europe? Call Germany or France for help. Not our problem.

I want us to stop subsidizing Europe’s welfare state with the American military. It’s easy to provide cradle to grave care when the USA is your military, really NATO should be the USA.... and then a bunch of other countries who contribute something to their defense. “Something” will vary depending on who you ask. I get the Marshall Plan and NATO which went hand in hand was not purely altruism. At the same time is probably a big factor in the rise of Europe as it is now.

As a country we went to war twice in Europe, I’m not eager to send my son for the third. Got a problem with Russia invading? See France or Germany for your defense. (Insert Russia investigation joke here if you are so inclined?)

In the last twenty years, since the end of the Cold War really, many (not all) European countries have grown ever more hostile to the US. Time for us to look after ourselves. Are we perfect? Not even close but the condescending attitude of European politics towards us? Screw them.

Exempt from the list is our mother country; the UK who had been one of our best Allies.

Last edited:

Gomer

Washington warmed us about entangling alliances, we should have listened.

I want NATO ended yesterday. Got a problem X country in Europe? Call Germany or France for help. Not our problem.

I want us to stop subsidizing Europe’s welfare state with the American military. It’s easy to provide cradle to grave care when the USA is your military, really NATO should be the USA.... and then a bunch of other countries who contribute something to their defense. “Something” will vary depending on who you ask. I get the Marshall Plan and NATO which went hand in hand was not purely altruism. At the same time is probably a big factor in the rise of Europe as it is now.

As a country we went to war twice in Europe, I’m not eager to send my son for the third. Got a problem with Russia invading? See France or Germany for your defense. (Insert Russia investigation joke here if you are so inclined?)

In the last twenty years, since the end of the Cold War really, many (not all) European countries have grown ever more hostile to the US. Time for us to look after ourselves. Are we perfect? Not even close but the condescending attitude of European politics towards us? Screw them.

Exempt from the list is our mother country; the UK who had been one of our best Allies.
I generally agree with all your commentary on the state of the relationships, but couldn't it also be said that the reason there HASN'T been another war to get involved in defending Europe is precisely because of our pact to defend those countries?

Would it be nice for them to be able to present that deterrent to Russia or others on their own, absolutely. But world stability is acting in our own interest. War in Europe is very bad for the US whether we fight in it or not. And our presence in the batter's box (sorry for the sports metaphor) is much of what has kept the very tenuous peace since WWII isn't it?

LittleBuford

As a country we went to war twice in Europe, I’m not eager to send my son for the third. Got a problem with Russia invading? See France or Germany for your defense. (Insert Russia investigation joke here if you are so inclined?
The second of those wars, which the US entered only after being attacked itself, encompassed far more than Europe and shows the impossibility of compartmentalising global affairs in this way.

(ETA: Forgive my poor phrasing. The sentence above inadvertently suggests that WW1 wasn't global in extent, which of course it was.)

Last edited:

AEfx

It really bothers me that this notion is seen as "isolationist". It is just common sense. There is a stark difference between cutting the rest of the world off versus constantly propping them up.

It also reminds me of what I mentioned a few days ago. We spend $3.8B a year on Israel's border protection - and $5.7B (or, we keep forgetting, the $2.5M they were reportedly offered when Pence tried to compromise before the shutdown) for our own borders.

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
Shocking that a Christian school ensures applicants follow orthodox Christian theology....
No. What’s shocking in 2019 is that anyone calling themselves Christian actually condones this. But then again, so many of them support a pathological lying adulterer who has cheated on every single one of his multiple wives and pays off **** stars. So I guess these people are just selective in what “sins” they condemn and which are just fine and dandy!

PS - this school’s theatre and English departments must really suck.

seascape

I agree with some of what you say but not all of it. We should pull our military out of Europe, they are rich enough to defend themselves and don't need out military to defend them. However we are one of many countries in the world and we all need each other. There has to be a way we can live with everyone else and they can live with us. Europe and the rest of the world should not tell us how to live and we should not tell them how to live.

Top Bottom