• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

You do what any private sector employee does, you cut expenses and file for unemployment. In short, you figure it out. The government have programs for this situation.
That process could take weeks and there are some expenses that can’t be cut (like rent). It can also take a few weeks after being approved to get the first check, and even then it might not be enough.

I also don’t see how overloading a program such as unemployment is just being casually seen as the solution to this.

Advertisement
None of us here have ever questioned people’s right to private property, so please be more careful in your characterisations of “the left”.
But you're for raising tax rates on the rich just because they're rich and redistribution of that money through government spending to people you think need it. Right?
For clarity and perspective on cost, sadly $5 billion doesn’t seem too expensive when considering other items :

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/us/politics/postal-service-reports-a-nearly-16-billion-loss.html

https://www.gao.gov/assets/680/672884.pdf

https://www.nasa.gov/content/reach-for-new-heights-nasa-budget-unveiled-for-fiscal-year-2016

https://www.downsizinggovernment.org/agriculture/subsidies

Obviously there needs to be a greater eye on some of this, as these are just a few. The $5B doesn’t seem to be too much of spending elsewhere was more appropriately watched.
Cut, cut, cut! If the people not getting paid now are considered "nonessential," why do we spend money on them at all?

aw14

Yeah I’d rather save the $10-$15 billion and not find out. Also I’d rather people not lose their land and houses to eminent domain for a losing cause.
Please see the links I posted above.

For members of either party to decry spending too much, makes them look hypocritical. Let’s be clear...both parties spend too much, just on BS they think is more important.

Please see the links I posted above.

For members of either party to decry spending too much, makes them look hypocritical. Let’s be clear...both parties spend too much, just on BS they think is more important.
Oh I agree. I just think this is a total waste that will not work but is a great way for Trump to say he kept his promise. I do not think for a second Trump gives a crap about illegal immigration. It was just another rallying cry that he used to get himself elected.

5 billion dollars would go a long way to fully funding IDEA at the levels it was intended to be funded. Given the difference that would make in the education of children like my daughter, it’s a pretty high priority for me. (That said I also know it is a pipe dream - there’s my idealism popping out again)

In Texas we spend a fortune on illegals in our school system-that is at the expense of our own children.

Stopping illegal immigrants would be the best thing we could do for our education system and the well being of our own citizens and children.

aw14

Oh I agree. I just think this is a total waste that will not work but is a great way for Trump to say he kept his promise. I do not think for a second Trump gives a crap about illegal immigration. It was just another rallying cry that he used to get himself elected.
I actually agree. I think all our last presidents are empty suits. Obamacare was an election cry...nothing more.

Wait???? Did we agree? 😊

In Texas we spend a fortune on illegals in our school system-that is at the expense of our own children.

Stopping illegal immigrants would be the best thing we could do for our education system and the well being of our own citizens and children.
This is just it. How much are we spending now? Between public schools, welfare programs, deportation, etc etc etc?
I think I said this previously, the math is one part.. then we have the trafficking and such.

But you're for raising tax rates on the rich just because they're rich and redistribution of that money through government spending to people you think need it. Right?
Or how about a monetary punishment on American citizens who chose not to carry health insurance?

That’s one of the worst acts that congress and a president have committed in recent times. I’ll never understand how our constitution allowed it.. but either way, anyone who supported Obamacare should not say one word about personal property.

You do what any private sector employee does, you cut expenses and file for unemployment. In short, you figure it out. The government have programs for this situation.
Apparently you’ll keep repeating this until someone corrects you.

You have to be unemployed for two weeks before unemployment kicks in. None of them even knew if this nonsense would last that long until a week ago.

So if they didn’t apply until last week, they’ve got another week to go before getting anything, and the first two weeks won’t be covered.

Then they have to go through the pointless charade of applying for several jobs per week when they know their current job will start back up at some point.

Plus, they will very likely have to pay back the unemployment when the Moron Shutdown is over and they get back pay for the time they already received unemployment.

All because of stupid people and their useless wall.

That process could take weeks and there are some expenses that can’t be cut (like rent). It can also take a few weeks after being approved to get the first check, and even then it might not be enough.

I also don’t see how overloading a program such as unemployment is just being casually seen as the solution to this.

Actually people are not evicted for missing one rent payment, nor are they foreclosed on for missing one payment, nor does missing a car payment means it will be repossessed. There are a number of consumer protection laws that have to be followed.

Who thinks overloading unemployment program is a solution? I have not heard that offered as a solution.

The minute the govt reopens the procedure is in place for checks to go out. I don't think we should assume people are so helpless that they are not finding solutions.

Apparently you’ll keep repeating this until someone corrects you.

You have to be unemployed for two weeks before unemployment kicks in. None of them even knew if this nonsense would last that long until a week ago.

So if they didn’t apply until last week, they’ve got another week to go before getting anything, and the first two weeks won’t be covered.

Then they have to go through the pointless charade of applying for several jobs per week when they know their current job will start back up at some point.

Plus, they will very likely have to pay back the unemployment when the Moron Shutdown is over and they get back pay for the time they already received unemployment.

All because of stupid people and their useless wall.
The shutdown is now on day 22.

Unemployment insurance is the government program for these situations. If this program is sufficient for the masses,.it should be fine for the government employees.

Internet job boards are great for filing applications. This task can be completed is less than 5 minutes.

As for payback once back pay comes in, so.what? Those affected need funds as quickly as possible, unemployment compensation is.the quickest means to that end. It serves as a bridge loan.

The.fact that some.are overextended and living beyond their means is an individual problem, not mine.

Actually people are not evicted for missing one rent payment, nor are they foreclosed on for missing one payment, nor does missing a car payment means it will be repossessed. There are a number of consumer protection laws that have to be followed.

Who thinks overloading unemployment program is a solution? I have not heard that offered as a solution.

The minute the govt reopens the procedure is in place for checks to go out. I don't think we should assume people are so helpless that they are not finding solutions.
Exactly, there are legal proceedings and in many states foreclosures can take many years. Especially if people know how to work that system.

Typically judges don’t just toss people out and say “too bad”.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't federal employees allowed to get a second job as long as it's not a conflict of interest? I know some require approval but I'm assuming that most are able to without approval. So hop on over to your local staffing agency and they'll have you working and getting paid in no time.

Again, this is just based on what I've read so I'm making as assumption here.

Top Bottom