• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Quinnmac000

Advertisement
Why is Rand Paul getting surgery in Canada when American healthcare is so great?

Republican Rand Paul is one of the most vocal critics of universal health care in Congress, once equating it to “slavery.” Now the Kentucky senator has opted to have surgery at a private hospital in Canada, a nation of socialized medicine, rather than in the United States.

Paul is scheduled to have an outpatient operation at the Shouldice Hernia Hospital in Ontario later this month, according to court documents in a civil lawsuit Paul launched against his neighbor Rene Boucher.

According to the court filing, the hernia operation is related to a 2017 attack in which Boucher assaulted Paul while the senator was mowing the lawn at his Kentucky home. The incident left the lawmaker with six broken ribs and a bruised lung.

Boucher pleaded guilty to the assault and was sentenced to 30 days in prison. Federal prosecutors said the neighbor had “had enough” after Paul put a pile of brush close to his property line. Boucher, 58, ran and tackled the senator to the ground.

Paul will have the surgery during the week of January 21. Court documents estimated that the procedure would cost somewhere between $5,000 and $8,000. The hospital markets itself as “the global leader in non-mesh hernia repair.”

https://www.newsweek.com/rand-paul-universal-healthcare-critic-gets-surgery-canada-private-hospital-1290811

21stamps

Just a guess. Because she sold out and agreed to support Nancy Pelosi as speaker?
That could very well be a possibility, because it’s not just her.. it’s some other unqualified progressive newcomers as well. I wonder if they struck a deal prior to the support.

It’s one thing to have her as a loud voice on Twitter, it’s another to have her sitting on committees where she obviously shouldn’t be.
They are making a joke out of congress.

21stamps

Why is Rand Paul getting surgery in Canada when American healthcare is so great?

Republican Rand Paul is one of the most vocal critics of universal health care in Congress, once equating it to “slavery.” Now the Kentucky senator has opted to have surgery at a private hospital in Canada, a nation of socialized medicine, rather than in the United States.

Paul is scheduled to have an outpatient operation at the Shouldice Hernia Hospital in Ontario later this month, according to court documents in a civil lawsuit Paul launched against his neighbor Rene Boucher.

According to the court filing, the hernia operation is related to a 2017 attack in which Boucher assaulted Paul while the senator was mowing the lawn at his Kentucky home. The incident left the lawmaker with six broken ribs and a bruised lung.

Boucher pleaded guilty to the assault and was sentenced to 30 days in prison. Federal prosecutors said the neighbor had “had enough” after Paul put a pile of brush close to his property line. Boucher, 58, ran and tackled the senator to the ground.

Paul will have the surgery during the week of January 21. Court documents estimated that the procedure would cost somewhere between $5,000 and $8,000. The hospital markets itself as “the global leader in non-mesh hernia repair.”

https://www.newsweek.com/rand-paul-universal-healthcare-critic-gets-surgery-canada-private-hospital-1290811
Because he likes that hospital’s resume on hernia repair?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Premium Member

As you said, it is a private hospital...so not connected to Canada's socialized health care system. It is the only one in the world that specializes solely on hernias. Rand Paul has always been about choice without government interference. This aligns with that.

drizgirl

I hope he or his insurance company make Boucher reimburse the cost.

I don't have an issue with him going wherever he wants for his treatment. He has always been in favor of as much personal choice in health care as possible.

21stamps

It’s also a private hospital. That doesn’t diminish any of Rand Paul’s critiques of universal health care.
The media made a fool of themselves once again with this story. As long as they rilled up some readers though... readers who won’t take the time to hear Rand Paul’s own reasons for it, or know what his stance has always been in the first place.

gsam4ever

As you said, it is a private hospital...so not connected to Canada's socialized health care system. It is the only one in the world that specializes solely on hernias. Rand Paul has always been about choice without government interference. This aligns with that.
The hospital does receive most of its funding from the Ontario government and accepts the Ontario’s Hospital Insurance Plan but since they specialize in hernia's and Paul is paying out of pocket then more power to him.

gsam4ever

aw14

Interesting. It’s been a few years since I’ve eaten Five Guys, so maybe that’s why I didn’t know. But has it always been this way? I’ve never seen the option of a “little burger.”
not sure....since it opened by me a few years back, the menu has been this way

21stamps

Again, folks keep talking about tweets. The fast food thing was a diversion like anything else. The President knows what he's doing. He's a savvy showman. You don't think he knew this would stir s___ up?

Oy. I don't like the man but by golly, he knows more about manipulating the media and refocusing attention than old school Madonna.
I honestly don’t think this had anything to do with a diversion. Just celebrating the National Champs.

He discussed options of what to feed them, came up with a fast food spread. Because, college kids.

gsam4ever

another instance of reading a headline and not the specifics? :hilarious:
Actually it's very connected as the hospital does receive most of its funding from the Ontario government and accepts the Ontario’s Hospital Insurance Plan but with that being said Rand should be able to pick any place he wants for his surgery.

LittleBuford

You have to admit, though, they're those rare Hollywood creatures where being foulmouthed actually works. She's the #1 female solo act in music history and it ain't for her singing (however much I love it).
Yes, but she has charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent. I suppose he has versions of these attributes as well—he wouldn’t have got this far without them—but only in their basest, most charmless forms.

Top Bottom