• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Willmark

A
What point? That someone was run off the boards? This didn't happen.
Go back and read your strawman you’ve created or better yet read all of my replies. Or better yet ask yourself what I might be pointing out rather than the result you want to arrive at.

Hint I don’t really care whether he was run off or not. I’m interested in pointing out as noted previously, twice, this gets thrown around these parts by left leaning posters (most often) and was leveled at me and @aw14... and it didn’t happen. Still waiting for the retraction on that charge however,

So I guess I’m game to continue this for as long as you.

aw14

Advertisement
He wasn't run off. He posted things that are simply not true, which was pointed out. Suggesting someone was run off is very much trying to paint them as some sort of victim.

Not sure why you think it's your duty to complain about posters "running someone off", but the personal insults are entirely the purview of the moderators.
2 quick points of clarification:
  • things untrue- this would need to be proven, and that argument (specific topic) cannot be proven in any way with certainty
  • @Willmark and I were accused of "running someone off" previously, which that poster claims didnt happen. He is pointing out the hypocrisy of some here.

21stamps

I think kids should be given as neutral a playing field as possible. If anything teach both sides and let them make their own conclusions; without bias.
Teach both sides of what?

Parents choose schools for personal reasons, for what they think will be the best for their kid’s future, as a student and a person.

A child attending a religious school is going to get many different things than what a public school student is allowed to be taught, along with rules that aren’t allowed to be applied at public schools.. neither one guarantees a good person, neither one is inherently harmful.

Gomer

So you want them to change their beliefs, because your beliefs are different.

I said this earlier. Cheers to acceptance. Let’s all file in a straight line now. 🥂
No that is not what I said at all, but what else is new? I said I wish people didn't believe things that were inherently discriminatory. Something that I'd hope most here would agree with. But that I know that this is not possible.

I also wish people didn't murder people. I wish we had a different president. I wish I had a dole whip machine in my kitchen. I wish a lot of things. Stating social disapproval of discriminatory practices is how we advance as a society so that people can come to those conclusions on their own. I don't want to force anyone to change their beliefs but I would love it if everyone was without biases.

Disney Analyst

Teach both sides of what?

Parents choose schools for personal reasons, for what they think will be the best for their kid’s future, as a student and a person.

A child attending a religious school is going to get many different things than what a public school student is allowed to be taught, along with rules that aren’t allowed to be applied at public schools.. neither one guarantees a good person, neither one is inherently harmful.
I believe indoctrinating children into religion is harmful, especially when they have no choice. I have nothing against parents paying to send their kids to school, small class sizes, more structured teaching based on the child’s needs, these are all great. Indoctrinating children into a belief system is what I am against.

If anything schools should teach children the history of religion, what it is, atheism, what it is. Teach them facts, let them decide at some determined age what they want to do and believe.

kong1802

you have free speech, and are more than welcome to say as you wish.

I am not arrogant enough to inform someone how to apply their beliefs correctly.

Sadly, I can't say that for everyone
I think there's a line in which one has a duty to speak out. I don't hand out free passes to people who do things in the name of their religion, or take into consideration how many soup kitchens they run.

But we obviously disagree there.

Anyway, this school isn't the first and wont be the last to have these sort of qualifications for enrollment. It's their right. But I will still speak out against it as I feel their qualifications are misguided or cherry picked at best. Just like I would speak out should the evil WBC open a private school. Pretty sure we all agree they are misapplying, right? Or maybe not.....But they do have that right, as do I...

Gomer

Wendy Pleakley

2 quick points of clarification:
  • things untrue- this would need to be proven, and that argument (specific topic) cannot be proven in any way with certainty
  • @Willmark and I were accused of "running someone off" previously, which that poster claims didnt happen. He is pointing out the hypocrisy of some here.
Where's the hypocrisy? No one was "run off" in this instance. This is a case of trying to fabricate hypocrisy by stating something happened, that didn't.

Are you really suggesting that sexual orientation being "a choice" is still debatable in any way?

aw14

Where's the hypocrisy? No one was "run off" in this instance. This is a case of trying to fabricate hypocrisy by stating something happened, that didn't.

Are you really suggesting that sexual orientation being "a choice" is still debatable in any way?
Actually based on his post...he was run off. Personally, not my issue. Yes, that is their hypocrisy.

I cannot prove one way or the other. No one can.

Last edited:

21stamps

No that is not what I said at all, but what else is new? I said I wish people didn't believe things that were inherently discriminatory. Something that I'd hope most here would agree with. But that I know that this is not possible.

I also wish people didn't murder people. I wish we had a different president. I wish I had a dole whip machine in my kitchen. I wish a lot of things. Stating social disapproval of discriminatory practices is how we advance as a society so that people can come to those conclusions on their own. I don't want to force anyone to change their beliefs but I would love it if everyone was without biases.
At the end of the day, it’s what we choose to focus on, or just realize that we’re not all going to be alike.

Being in a conservative catholic school, where no one in my child’s grade is even divorced.. and he is the only one without siblings (Catholics tend to have big families), and he is the only one with a sole parent regardless of if people do get divorced in the future.. and I read post/email/hear sermon after post/email/sermon about the importance of home/family, in relation to two parents and siblings. Basically disagreeing with the major life choices I have made.

I could choose to let this bother me, to feel like an outcast or my child as an outcast. We’re not outcasts, we just have a different home life than the others in our church/school, and that’s ok. I don’t need to surround myself with people who have the same life that I have. I don’t need to be offended that they may not agree with my choices.. all I need to do is be a good person, and raise a good person.

The rest is just side stuff that I choose to shrug off. I can not imagine ever complaining to complain without offering a solution, I just can’t. I also don’t set out to change the beliefs of a religion, I just go with the one that fits me best, not devastated if I don’t agree with every word.

I believe indoctrinating children into religion is harmful, especially when they have no choice. I have nothing against parents paying to send their kids to school, small class sizes, more structured teaching based on the child’s needs, these are all great. Indoctrinating children into a belief system is what I am against.

If anything schools should teach children the history of religion, what it is, atheism, what it is. Teach them facts, let them decide at some determined age what they want to do and believe.
I want my child to be raised with a belief system in something bigger than him, and also have the freedom to learn about other religions in a school setting, one that public schools won’t provide. Whatever he chooses to believe as an adult is his choice, and would have my support.. it is our responsibility as parents to raise our children in the way we think is best. It is a personal decision, and no one should try to take that away from any other parent. Not in a free society.

Disney Analyst

At the end of the day, it’s what we choose to focus on, or just realize that we’re not all going to be alike.

Being in a conservative catholic school, where no one in my child’s grade is even divorced.. and he is the only one without siblings (Catholics tend to have big families), and he is the only one with a sole parent regardless of if people do get divorced in the future.. and I read post/email/hear sermon after post/email/sermon about the importance of home/family, in relation to two parents and siblings. Basically disagreeing with the major life choices I have made.

I could choose to let this bother me, to feel like an outcast or my child as an outcast. We’re not outcasts, we just have a different home life than the others in our church/school, and that’s ok. I don’t need to surround myself with people who have the same life that I have. I don’t need to be offended that they may not agree with my choices.. all I need to do is be a good person, and raise a good person.

The rest is just side stuff that I choose to shrug off.

I want my child to be raised with a belief system in something bigger than him, and also have the freedom to learn about other religions in a school setting, one that public schools won’t provide. Whatever he chooses to believe as an adult is his choice, and would have my support.. it is our responsibility as parents to raise our children in the way we think is best. It is a personal decision, and no one should try to take that away from any other parent. Not in a free society.
It’s okay. We will disagree and that’s fine :) I think a true free society would be to teach all aspects from neutral standing and letting the child decide once old enough.

Moving on.

Gomer

The rest is just side stuff that I choose to shrug off.
But this is sort of the crux of my point. They are not discriminating against you. They are disapproving of your lifestyle, but they do not act on it. So you can choose to shrug it off.

On that front I am the same as you. People will believe what they believe. I do not need to show them my approval or disapproval on that. But when people take that to the length of discriminatory action, then I think it is perfectly acceptable in a free society to express our displeasure with that action. We recognize and respect the right for private citizens to discriminate, but as a society the majority of us don't endorse that behavior and we will let those who violate that basic principle know of our disapproval.

That has been all this lengthy conversation was ever about. People expressing their disapproval for an action that runs counter to the equality we seek for all people in this country, while respecting the rights of those taking the actions to act in that way even while we disapprove.

Top Bottom