• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Tony the Tigger

Premium Member
Advertisement
Writing it as a hashtag doesn't make it true. Obama and the media had no issues calling it a crisis in 2014. The issues outlined today are no different.

And hurt millions at the same time. Myself included.

Border Portal, DHS, angel moms, and millions of people disagree. And many on the left prior to Trump. And the proposal on the table today is NOT just for a wall. It is for 200 to 300 miles of additional barriers/wall/fencing and a bunch of other items that you yawned at the other day, but that the Dems have called for. You mentioned previously your concern for how people were being treated at the border. Well there is money in there for better facilities, including for keeping families together. You yawned at that too.
If it’s a crisis worthy of “emergency” response, you don’t get time to play politics. You act immediately because you have no choice.

An earthquake is an emergency. There is no emergency at the border. The greatest liar saying there is does not make it so, no matter how many sheeple follow.

You stay hysterical. I’ll resume yawning now.

Angel Ariel

She may not be your preference for the face, but can you deny that she indeed is, by far, the most talked about Democrat in the nation?

That is why she is further fracturing the party. Because, like you, I don't believe many, or even most, believe in her politically or want to be represented by her - but here she is, how many 1st time congress people get a longform 20/20 interview to talk about their vision for the nation their first week on the job?

She is the face of the anti-Trump movement in the media, which has made her a central figure in spite of the fact that she has very little support for her politics.
I completely agree with you, including agreeing re: the fracturing of the party.

Angel Ariel

Yeah the 5th graders here all got one (the ones in our neighborhood). So many elementary kids have one that the school sent out an email to “teach” parents how to monitor their use. I’m flabbergasted by it. We already told our kids maybe when they are 16. But it’s gonna be a Cricket or whatever that flips open and only has 4 buttons. 1 will call me, 1 my wife, 1 911, and another 911.
Same here. (To the bolded).

Angel Ariel

I’m going to be the odd one out on the cell phone. I think 11 is an appropriate age. Not before, but I think waiting til 16 is too long.

When I was a kid there was a pay phone almost anywhere you looked when out.. that’s not so anymore.
My nephew is not ready to have a cell phone. I wholeheartedly agree with his parents on that. He doesn’t need one. He doesn’t go anywhere where he doesn’t have access to a phone - either by nature of the fact that one of his parents is with him (hockey, church) , or the venue has one (school). If he’s not doing those things, he is with his friends in the neighborhood within walking distance of the house (and all of the houses of his friends, who all have phones).

I see the damage phones do in schools, even as a sub. It’s not worth it. 11 would still be elementary school here (6th grade). Not going to happen.

21stamps

My nephew is not ready to have a cell phone. I wholeheartedly agree with his parents on that. He doesn’t need one. He doesn’t go anywhere where he doesn’t have access to a phone - either by nature of the fact that one of his parents is with him (hockey, church) , or the venue has one (school). If he’s not doing those things, he is with his friends in the neighborhood within walking distance of the house (and all of the houses of his friends, who all have phones).

I see the damage phones do in schools, even as a sub. It’s not worth it. 11 would still be elementary school here (6th grade). Not going to happen.
My son is 8, 3rd grade. Asks for a phone now and is repeatedly told it won’t happen.

I tell him that is he’s responsible and keeps good grades, he’ll get one in 6th grade (age 11). That’s the age when I started doing a lot more without my parents... amusement parks, our swim club, basketball tournaments etc. I remember always having a pay phone to call my parents to pick me up. Yeah, adults have cell phones and he could easily ask to use one, but I’d feel more comfortable with his own.
I can’t even stay at all of his practices now.. some coaches don’t allow it. With soccer I could sit in my car on some days, and do.. but many times he gets dropped off and I pick him up 2 hours later. The amount of parents at practices will continue to dwindle over the next few years.

All of this is completely dependent on grades and maturity level at that time.. but I don’t foresee an issue with that.

I thinks it’s definitely a case by case decision..and definitely depends on the activity/social level of the kids.

His school doesn’t allow cell phones during school hours.. I don’t have to worry about school time use.

Last edited:

gsam4ever

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Premium Member
If it’s a crisis worthy of “emergency” response, you don’t get time to play politics. You act immediately because you have no choice.

An earthquake is an emergency. There is no emergency at the border. The greatest liar saying there is does not make it so, no matter how many sheeple follow.

You stay hysterical. I’ll resume yawning now.
Ok. Guess you only pretended to care about the childrens’ well being at the border then. If money going towards their well being makes you yawn.

21stamps

As an aside/rant regarding the cell phone convo.. maybe I didn’t notice it as a kid.. but these stupid 4pm school sport practices, and 5 pm 45minute- drive-from-home practices... drive me CRAZY. I know there are some parents who can take their kids everywhere and stay with them everywhere.. but that’s not realistic for a lot of parents. I think that has a lot to do with an increase in cell phones with kids that age.

Angel Ariel

My son is 8, 3rd grade. Asks for a phone now and is repeatedly told it won’t happen.

I tell him that is he’s responsible and keeps good grades, he’ll get one in 6th grade (age 11). That’s the age when I started doing a lot more without my parents... amusement parks, our swim club, basketball tournaments etc. I remember always having a pay phone to call my parents to pick me up. Yeah, adults have cell phones and he could easily ask to use one, but I’d feel more comfortable with his own.
I can’t even stay at all of his practices now.. some coaches don’t allow it. With soccer I could sit in my car on some days, and do.. but many times he gets dropped off and I pick him up 2 hours later. The amount of parents at practices will continue to dwindle over the next few years.

All of this is completely dependent on grades and maturity level at that time.. but I don’t foresee an issue with that.

I thinks it’s definitely a case by case decision..and definitely depends on the activity/social level of the kids.

His school doesn’t allow cell phones during school hours.. I don’t have to worry about school time use.
My nephew lives and breathes hockey right now. We joke anytime we ask them if they can do anything because the answer is always “no, we have hockey.” His dad is involved with the team operations, so he’s not just a parent coming to practice and he’s always there.

Schools in general don’t “allow” personal cell phone use during school. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. My brother also teaches middle school right now, and oh the stories he can tell you about cell phones. And his school doesn’t allow their use either.

Angel Ariel

For the folks who don't want a wall: what is there to lose by building one?
5 billion dollars would go a long way to fully funding IDEA at the levels it was intended to be funded. Given the difference that would make in the education of children like my daughter, it’s a pretty high priority for me. (That said I also know it is a pipe dream - there’s my idealism popping out again)

gsam4ever

5 billion dollars would go a long way to fully funding IDEA at the levels it was intended to be funded. Given the difference that would make in the education of children like my daughter, it’s a pretty high priority for me. (That said I also know it is a pipe dream - there’s my idealism popping out again)
We all know (at least those who want to admit it) $5 billion is a joke. It will easily cost double that if not more.

21stamps

My nephew lives and breathes hockey right now. We joke anytime we ask them if they can do anything because the answer is always “no, we have hockey.” His dad is involved with the team operations, so he’s not just a parent coming to practice and he’s always there.

Schools in general don’t “allow” personal cell phone use during school. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. My brother also teaches middle school right now, and oh the stories he can tell you about cell phones. And his school doesn’t allow their use either.
That’s great. I definitely understand waiting if someone can.. I just don’t think it’s practical for all. I live 7 minutes from an amusement park, and I’ll drop my kid off with his friends once he’s in 6th grade, I’ll allow him to go to the swim club with friends too.

I went back on my GrpupMe app to find this specific convo.. this is why I won’t wait. Lol. Luckily our coach arrive early. He had guest practiced with another team prior to his normal training that day.. it ended 30 minutes before, and I was stuck in a parking lot on the highway. I was worried.

(For reference it’s a huge outdoor soccer complex with mostly people we don’t know, and a dangerous parking lot at that time)

434B7647-7F40-4E51-8991-2BF5AA68183D.jpeg

Top Bottom