• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

That’s really easy to say...much more difficult to live. The impact in my area is already bad. People here literally *cannot afford* to have this go on for weeks.

Trump has said he won’t sign anything less than 5 billion. McConnell won’t put anything on the floor Trump won’t sign. Democrats won’t budge from 0. None of them are compromising. I would prefer the house and senate come up with some kind of number - even if trump won’t sign it - and use their checks and balances as they are meant And stop using people as pawns in their political games.

How much empathy do we give those that are being undercut in wages by cheap illegal immigrant workers?
They have been hurt for years wouldn't you agree? They are the ones I feel sorry for.

More empathy given to "govenment workers" than families that have lost loved ones because of criminal activities by illegals, as evidenced by a CNN pundit filing her nails in mock boredom of the discussion on that subject.

Advertisement
The question I have, is how many of these are saved on your computer for easy access? I cannot even imagine the meme folder you must have
😉
No need to save them. Just google stupid Trump movies and you get a plethora of them. A cornucopia of memes.

And trust me any pics saved for easy access includes the opposite gender.

Thanks for proving my point. You will find those of us who are not on the far-left rarely post memes here. I posted one timely meme, wondering what would happen if someone on the other side did it. Surprise surprise, you got triggered, and then googled yourself a few dozen old ones and had to make multiple posts referencing me and how triggered you were. Suddenly you are on the attack to me personally, I'm "Meme master" for posting ONE on the other side and you are still yakking about it hours later.

I'm glad I don't have to pay rent for all the space apparently I take up in your mind. I post one little meme and you go off the deep end.
A timely meme? Of Schumer and Pelosi?? Timely would be Trump. And why post one when 10 is so much better.

And talking about rent since Trump caused the shutdown I might need a little help with that rent for your head that I owe you. No checks coming through ya know.

I realize you said that you hold all accountable. If the republicans give in, completely, with no money at all.. it will be a horrible thing for the president, and for the party, and especially the Americans who made Trump the president.

They have to do what they’re doing.. it’s ugly, but the Democrats are counting on McConnell to fold his hand because of the people not getting paid.
That’s not how this should work.

If they do it once, it will keep going. That’s not a precedent that I want to see. We’ve already seen enough tactics the past year. Goverment must work together, if they can’t, then the shutdown should remain. Let the American people vote them all out next time if that’s what needs to happen as a result of a lengthy partial shutdown.

What the democrats want is for Trump to declare a National Emergency because their paid protestors will immediately take to the streets screaming dictator, criminal, unfit to lead, impeach, invoke the 25th amendment, etc.

If the democrats care so much about DACA, as they claim, now is the time to solve that problem. All it would take is a little compromising.

Pelosi could get a deal for DACA and fund the wall and this would be over today. Both sides win and the American people win.
There is no need to give him the wall since he either a) going to fold because he will slowly lose the support his party b) slowly lose the support of his voters or c) try and declare a national emergency and deal with a prolonged court battle.

Or Trump can give up the silly idea of spending over $10 billion on something that will do nothing and negotiate wih the Dems over border security. He did write (or pay someone to write) a book about dealing and such. If he did then perhaps the Dems will offer more and he will ask for less and they can meet somewhere in the middle.

How much empathy do we give those that are being undercut in wages by cheap illegal immigrant workers?
They have been hurt for years wouldn't you agree? They are the ones I feel sorry for.

More empathy given to "govenment workers" than families that have lost loved ones because of criminal activities by illegals, as evidenced by a CNN pundit filing her nails in mock boredom of the discussion on that subject.
I have a ton of empathy for them as well. It isn’t an either/or. Empathy doesn’t work that way, at least for me.

And CNN is a non starter for me. I’ve never been a fan of 24 hour news channels, precisely for the problems it has created (lack of fact checking, need to be *first* instead of accurate, etc etc).

I see the cleanup crew has arrived.

Lindsey Graham has come down with Old White Man’s Disease. He tweeted that the D’s are not negotiating in good faith, and Trump should declare the emergency and build the wall.

I am afraid I may be susceptible to this disease, as I am a white man and will turn 48 this year. Hopefully they develop a vaccine or something.

“In good faith?” What has Trump done in good faith - ever?

aw14

There is no need to give him the wall since he either a) going to fold because he will slowly lose the support his party b) slowly lose the support of his voters or c) try and declare a national emergency and deal with a prolonged court battle.

Or Trump can give up the silly idea of spending over $10 billion on something that will do nothing and negotiate wih the Dems over border security. He did write (or pay someone to write) a book about dealing and such. If he did then perhaps the Dems will offer more and he will ask for less and they can meet somewhere in the middle.
the bolded is where we disagree.

The experts (border agents, etc..) want the barrier. I think we know a physical barrier will help. That said, and as I have stated multiple times, it cannot be the only piece to the puzzle. It is just one part of a larger security plan

I compare it to what we do in schools...we add camera systems, card swipes, lanyard w/id's, just to name a few. There is no such thing as one solution anymore.

If I were "negotiating" it would be, give me the $ for the wall, and lets talk DACA. Everyone gets something

edit: I do not agree with a national emergency being used. it won't work. A judge will file an injunction, and most pressing to me, it sets a horrible precedent.

aw14

https://www.politico.com/story/2019...to-prepare-for-possible-rbg-departure-1096102

First, let me just say, that I wish RBG nothing but health. While I may disagree with her on policy, I respected the fact that even though they were polar opposites, her and Scalia were best of friends. It shows it can be done

That aside, if we thought that the Kavanaugh hearings were bad, this would be far worse. That was just a small taste of what will likely happen. Kavanaugh replaced a "swing" vote, while if this were true, a Trump appointee would be replacing a true liberal. Time to get the popcorn ready

Many of these govt workers are financially prepared most likely Others can easily get a low interest loan with their future guaranteed govt paycheck as collateral. Will cost about $20.83 a month for a $5000 loan.
Many do have some savings. Many do not. Some are able to get loans, others are not. It really is a wide spectrum.

Some may have to do as is done in the private sector-find another job but unlike the private sector will get to double dip once they get their govt check.
This is actually not fully accurate. Many federal workers need permission to work somewhere other than their agency (if they’re going to maintain employment at that agency), and are unable to get said permission right now due to the furlough. There was actually quite a lot of criticism of the local school district opening up a hiring fair for furloughed workers to sub in the schools (we have a sub shortage, they were offering expedited hiring through this fair), specifically because so many workers can’t get that permission to work elsewhere, and people were commenting the effort was appreciated but ultimately meaningless.

If govt workers are as helpless as the press and democrats think I am not sure they should be working for we the taxpayers.
Again, my comments have nothing to do with the press or Democrats as they are from personal experiences. Having trouble with making payments after 3 weeks of working without pay does not make someone helpless. The cost of living here is insane. I really never appreciated how nuts until I lived here. And if you have any special circumstances - special needs, medical issues, etc - the cost is even greater. Many of the families I see in the multiple waiting rooms I am in weekly are also families of federal workers - because of the medical benefits. But the constant copays add up quickly.

Pelosi could get a deal for DACA and fund the wall and this would be over today. Both sides win and the American people win.
I asked this yesterday and it was missed I think - I was in urgent care last night and couldn’t research. didn’t they try to bundle border wall in with DACA last spring and it went nowhere?

I see the cleanup crew has arrived.

Lindsey Graham has come down with Old White Man’s Disease. He tweeted that the D’s are not negotiating in good faith, and Trump should declare the emergency and build the wall.

I am afraid I may be susceptible to this disease, as I am a white man and will turn 48 this year. Hopefully they develop a vaccine or something.

“In good faith?” What has Trump done in good faith - ever?
When I heard Lindsay Graham’s comment about encouraging the president to use “emergency powers”, “ I could not help but see jar jar binks in the galactic senate in my head...

(Disclaimer: no I don’t really think trump is Palpatine, even if I do disagree with him. It was just a funny image that came to mind based on how the phrase I heard on the radio was worded. Nothing more)

Votes aren’t for show. Sorry. If I were a federal worker from New Mexico (where, from the stats I saw earlier this week, there is the highest concentration of federal workers who are furloughed yes, higher than the DMV* area), I sure as heck would like to know where my senator stands on these votes so I can take that into consideration come election time.

I spoke with both of my senator’s DC offices on the phone today, imploring them both to work together with the house to put together a bill both houses will sign - regardless of whether trump will. Because, again, trump doesn’t have to. But McConnell won’t allow anything to come to the floor if he thinks the president won’t sign it. That’s not how our government was designed to function. Congress is *supposed* to have ways to pass a law even if the president won’t sign it. Those ways are the checks and balances on the executive branch.

(*DMV = DC/Maryland/Virginia in case any don’t know that acronym)
Agree 100%. Let them go on record as shooting it down. It's dirty politics to not hold the vote. They don't want to be on record. Too bad. Vote no if you have to, but let's have some transparency. They know it will look bad on their party if somehow it passed, and forced Trump to veto. Again, too bad. They weren't elected to keep the party in power. It's really a shame.

aw14

I asked this yesterday and it was missed I think - I was in urgent care last night and couldn’t research. didn’t they try to bundle border wall in with DACA last spring and it went nowhere?
I think you are correct. If I recall correctly (and yes I can be wrong here), I believe it was part of the original offer to the dems, but was turned down.

Dirty politics knows no affiliation.

When is a shutdown "ok"?

Is it ok if a president wants single payer? He says, "give me money for single payer or we shutdown"? We could spin anything as a national emergency......Just looking for the line here....

Since some here have "taught" us the Senate rules, why do you think they are in place? If a policy can't get 60, then, time to start over......I don't think it's there as a "force shutdown" measure. Maybe it was....

I understand the dems will not give a dime to the wall. That's too bad if you are for it. Since they wont, and since they will be there for a minute, is shutdown the only way? How long do you let it play out? Is this a constitutionalist approach? It's the worst game of political chicken.

I think you are correct. If I recall correctly (and yes I can be wrong here), I believe it was part of the original offer to the dems, but was turned down.

Dirty politics knows no affiliation.
It's one of those situations where it's hard to find out really who killed what. If you source from the right, it was ol Chucky's fault. If you source from the left, it was the Orange one....I haven't spent much time on it, but it would be interesting to see where that one really collapsed.

aw14

When I heard Lindsay Graham’s comment about encouraging the president to use “emergency powers”, “ I could not help but see jar jar binks in the galactic senate in my head...

(Disclaimer: no I don’t really think trump is Palpatine, even if I do disagree with him. It was just a funny image that came to mind based on how the phrase I heard on the radio was worded. Nothing more)
Unknown.jpg

You're welcome ;)

First season was good..second season I hated. Its very interesting and once you watch the show let me know which part of the country you would rather by occupied by the Japanese or the Germans.
I will! I’m on season 1 right now.
Agree 100%. Let them go on record as shooting it down. It's dirty politics to not hold the vote. They don't want to be on record. Too bad. Vote no if you have to, but let's have some transparency. They know it will look bad on their party if somehow it passed, and forced Trump to veto. Again, too bad. They weren't elected to keep the party in power. It's really a shame.
This idea of “hold a vote just to vote NO” is the strangest thing to me.

Top Bottom