• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Jim S

She's a total moron. A wall can't be deemed immoral in the presence of law by which illegal immigration is termed just that -illegal. The sadest part is the number of lib- er, handi-libs who readily adopt this sort of vacant babbling.

The opposition to the wall has many failed arguments.
First it was racism-Mexico working to shut down their southern border and Tijuana's reaction to caravan sunk that argument.

Wall was immoral-spoken by Pelosi the person with walls all around her property-sunk that argument.

Not who we are argument-totally destroyed by Obama, Clinton, and others talking about how we need to stop illegal immigration

Wall won't work-Border Patrol has demolished that argument with an assist from Jim Acosta.

Border is not a crisis-the sector chief Ortiz told the president in their meeting that the day before they had apprehended 435 individuals and 133 of them were not people from Mexico or central American. That was chilling but ignored by much of the press.

Finances and govt spending-that is rich the democrats worrying about how much money we are spending.

Govt workers not getting paid- using that excuse to oppose the wall is the most ridiculous of all-maybe.

Not sure I hit all of them but the democrats are searching for something to foster their position.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Premium Member

Quinnmac000

My 8 year old just got home a little bit ago..

He made $75 shoveling snow this afternoon. 🤣

Sorry, I’m blown away by it. He said “mom, snow is better than a lemonade stand. I’ve never made this much before. Can I go again tomorrow?”. 😂😂😂
Make sure he puts that on his income tax....#allamericansshouldpaytheirfairshare #nofreeloadersusingmytaxdollars #flattaxrateof20%forall

draybook

Wait, are we supposed to be impressed that one set of grandparents came here LEGALLY from Mexico - having nothing to do with you, btw? You just enjoy the fruits of their actions.

All of my grandparents came here LEGALLY from Italy. Does that make me better than anyone else? No. It makes you and me both fortunate. That is all.

Neither of us are any better than anyone born elsewhere, or anyone trying to come here now, legally or illegally.

Let's see how all of our grandparents would have fared if they were just trying to come over today. All those people at the border are or will be somebody's grandparents, God willing. But it's a whole different story now than it was back then.

First: there is no reason the process has to be so difficult and messed up. THAT is the primary problem here. If the line at Publix is too long, they open up another lane. The US Government can't handle that?

If the process were navigable through normal channels, this would not be an issue. That's the fault of people who a) just don't like immigrants or b) don't like Mexicans or c) don't want to let people in who they assume will vote against them.

Border security does not automatically indicate a wall.

Illegal immigrants are hired by someone. Those people are culpable as well. But again, you don't want to pay $4 for an apple, and Americans don't want to pick apples for what illegal immigrants will make. The companies as well as the general public take advantage of those folks for their own gain, but then want to badmouth them to make themselves feel superior. Yay, morals!

"Actual military needs" means they want to divert money from the military to pay for the wall. Maybe your bros don't know what is up, but there are plenty of higher level military personnel who don't want to see that happen. Use your Google.

Oh, "you think" it will deter or stop some issues. Based on..? Your expertise? Let's invest billions on your expert say-so.

Do you wall advocates really think the next president isn't going to dismantle it? It will be the Berlin wall scenario all over again (almost.) But you waste our money and resources now just to feel good about yourselves and superior.

Nobody should feel special about the circumstances of their birth. Not one person had any say in it - not where they were born, not when they were born, not the color of their skin, their gender, their sexual orientation, or the wealth of their family.

If one needs to put others down to make themselves feel better, they should seek therapy.

Fix the immigration process. Deny criminals entry. Know that you did nothing to deserve where you live, and neither did they. The end.

I rarely engage with you on any other thread. I don't know why I took the bait here - I guess it was low hanging fruit because it was so easy to answer. Don't expect it to go on very long.

Listen, kid, it's really simple. You ranted like a lunatic about slapping the Statue of Liberty and giving a bigto immigrants because of this wall. You're literally comparing a POINT OF ENTRY THAT REQUIRES DOCUMENTATION AND PROCESSING to a massive space where God knows who and what came come across. You're comparing apples to almonds.

And yeah I think it will deter people. Didn't you watch CNN's little monkey, Jim Acosta, show us that there weren't people trying to get through that slatted fence? True, it might be because Trump was there and it would bring too much attention, but even those WHO WORK the border were supporting Trump's claims to a point.

Next, there's not a single thing you can tell me about illegals. I've not only worked with them, I've LIVED with some in Scranton, PA. Here's how it works, high speed. They're paid lower wages by the employer because he/she knows he/she can get away with it. He/She provides lodging for the workers at a ridiculous rate in which he/she crams them into the housing like sardines. The money that isn't spent on beer and food goes back home. So that perfect little scenario that you think happens due to illegal labor isn't so perfect. The owner gets over on Americans, not just financially but also by holding jobs that should go to natural citizens and/or legal immigrants.

And just because the line is long to get in the right way doesn't mean you sneak across without being vetted/documented. It's that simple. If we walked out of that same Publix without paying because the line was too long and another one didn't open, it would be shoplifting, aka a crime. Same scenario here.

Just to add, did you notice that many of the Mexican residents as well as the local government didn't want that caravan there? That's why this whole issue started, right, because of that caravan. So what does it tell you when THEY didn't want them there?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nubs70

How are government employees not part of "the masses?"

Unemployment insurance is for when you are fired from a job. They were not fired. I'd like to see how that plays out because employers routinely challenge unemployment insurance claims (which they have to pay into) and no employer would say they fired someone when they didn't.

Internet job boards - you're encouraging false applications? Wasting time of local businesses to do interviews for folks that aren't really looking for a job? That would sure tick me off. I don't have hours to waste interviewing people who don't really need a job because they have one making twice what I pay with benefits, because you think they should.

Same thing with your "bridge loans." What about that is ethical and correct?

Keep your judgment about who is living beyond their means. That's baloney.

You folks talking smack about how everyone can just go get a new job in two minutes are hilarious. Then screw the new job over when they get their old job back when the big baby in the Oval Office gets a grip. Yeah, blame the workers.

And you folks identifying with a class you'll never be against those in your own class. You think "government workers" are any different from private sector workers? They all come from the same pool of people, folks, depending on the skill level of the job.

Your attitudes are really out there.
First, unemployment is for when you are laid off, furloughed, or when your position is eliminated. If you are fired for cause or quit, you are not eligible for unemployment.

Second, furloughed government employees are eligible to collect unemployment. In event of receiving back pay, they will need to pay back the unemployment money. This will give the employees affected funds to provide a degree of liquidity. The payback of unemployment money, that provides liquidity during employment interruption, is why I used the term "bridge loan".

Employers routinely fight unemployment claims as the employer pays the first 13 of 26 weeks unemployment payments. Smart employers can do several things to avoid paying unemployment. Make the job so miserable the employee quite or place the employee on an improvement program, set unattainable goals, then fire for cause upon failure to achieve unattainable goals.

Third, the use of internet job boards. The rules for unemployment say you must apply for 2-3 positions per week to remain eligible. Nothing more.
If you are wasting time screening applications, I suggest you invest in screening software or get a headhunter on retainer.

Fourth and Finally, if you are living paycheck to paycheck, you are, as uncomfortable as it may be, living beyond your means.

P.S. Do not hire any furloughed government employees, they will leave immediately when the shut down is over.

Angel Ariel

In Texas we spend a fortune on illegals in our school system-that is at the expense of our own children.

Stopping illegal immigrants would be the best thing we could do for our education system and the well being of our own citizens and children.
State (and local) spending on education is a separate thing from IDEA spending, which is federal - meant to help cover the costs that special education services incur above and beyond the cost it takes to educate a neurotypical student.

Angel Ariel

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't federal employees allowed to get a second job as long as it's not a conflict of interest? I know some require approval but I'm assuming that most are able to without approval. So hop on over to your local staffing agency and they'll have you working and getting paid in no time.

Again, this is just based on what I've read so I'm making as assumption here.
As I live in the DMV, this is a hot topic here lately. And from much of what I'm reading, many - if not most - government employees need the approval. And the people who can approve them to do so are furloughed. There was a lot of noise about this when my local school district opened up a hiring fair for substitute teachers specifically for furloughed employees (people appreciating the thought, but saying they couldn't do it because they couldn't get approval, etc).

Angel Ariel

Exactly, there are legal proceedings and in many states foreclosures can take many years. Especially if people know how to work that system.

Typically judges don’t just toss people out and say “too bad”.
I worry less about those who are federal employees being evicted (for reasons you mention above) - and more about those who receive HUD assistance (or I should say aren't receiving that assistance right now).

The article does say that HUD has never had landlords evict residents because of a lapse in government payment - I am being very up front about that. But we're now at the longest shutdown in history and there doesn't seem to be an end in sight (sadly). Hopefully everyone will get their crap together before this becomes an issue.

Angel Ariel

Trump along with the republicans who do write bills, have all said that the people will be paid.

Where have you seen something different?
There is a bill awaiting the president's signature for government civilians to get back pay. That bill does not include government contractors. To my knowledge, a bill that would ensure that government *contractors* get paid has not yet passed both houses (and - historically - government contractors have not gotten back pay from the government).

draybook

I like you, Buddy, so I'll be totally civil with you. We could go through dozens of statements from candidates that would contradict present day actions/feelings. And we also know that Democrats have been fully vested in combatting Trump since day one. Case in point: people are bringing up this statement from 2013. However, if he uses any methods he can to bypass Congress, he's a dictator and tyrant. So which one do the people want him to be? The guy who falls back on his words or the guy who has absolute power?

“We are a generous and welcoming people here in the United States,” Obama said in the 31-second clip. “But those who enter the country illegally and those who employ them disrespect the rule of law and they are showing disregard for those who are following the law.”

He added: “We simply cannot allow people to pour into the United States undetected, undocumented, unchecked, and circumventing the line of people who are waiting patiently, diligently and lawfully to become immigrants into this country.” - Obama in 2005

“Real reform means strong border security, and we can build on the progress my administration has already made -- putting more boots on the Southern border than at any time in our history and reducing illegal crossings to their lowest levels in 40 years,” Obama said.
“Real reform means establishing a responsible pathway to earned citizenship -- a path that includes passing a background check, paying taxes and a meaningful penalty, learning English, and going to the back of the line behind the folks trying to come here legally,” he added. - Obama in 2013

“The American people are fundamentally pro-legal immigration and anti-illegal immigration,” Schumer said during a talk at Georgetown University. “We will only pass comprehensive reform when we recognize this fundamental concept,” he added, listing seven principles of any immigration reform.
“First, illegal immigration is wrong,” Schumer stated, “and a primary goal of comprehensive immigration reform must be to dramatically curtail future illegal immigration.” - Chuck Schumer in 2009

“Do we have a commitment to secure the border? Yes. What are the options that we have available to us, let's make sure they work,” Pelosi said.
“Because we do need to address the issue of immigration and the challenge we have of undocumented people in our country. We certainly do not want any more coming in.” - Nancy Pelosi in 2008

“The president is desperate to change the subject from health care to immigration because he knows that health care is the number one issue Americans care about,” their statement read. - Chuck and Nancy in 2019.

I don't claim to know what the happy medium is to satisfy everyone, but it's obvious that Trump isn't the only one whose words can come back to bite him but he's the only one the media focuses on.

21stamps

I'm not sure why that is so hard to believe, given the stats on how many people in the country overall are living paycheck to paycheck.
You’re saying the majority of goverment workers are living paycheck to paycheck?

There is a bill awaiting the president's signature for government civilians to get back pay. That bill does not include government contractors. To my knowledge, a bill that would ensure that government *contractors* get paid has not yet passed both houses (and - historically - government contractors have not gotten back pay from the government).
Was he talking about contractors? I have no idea what that process is..if there is not a plan for them, then they shouldn’t be working right now... or during any other shutdown.

Willmark

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."

George Washington

One of the many reasons why I think he ranks above Lincoln in terms of the greatest president. Shame we didn’t listen to him.

Tony the Tigger

Listen, kid, it's really simple. You ranted like a lunatic about slapping the Statue of Liberty and giving a bigto immigrants because of this wall. You're literally comparing a POINT OF ENTRY THAT REQUIRES DOCUMENTATION AND PROCESSING to a massive space where God knows who and what came come across. You're comparing apples to almonds.

And yeah I think it will deter people. Didn't you watch CNN's little monkey, Jim Acosta, show us that there weren't people trying to get through that slatted fence? True, it might be because Trump was there and it would bring too much attention, but even those WHO WORK the border were supporting Trump's claims to a point.

Next, there's not a single thing you can tell me about illegals. I've not only worked with them, I've LIVED with some in Scranton, PA. Here's how it works, high speed. They're paid lower wages by the employer because he/she knows he/she can get away with it. He/She provides lodging for the workers at a ridiculous rate in which he/she crams them into the housing like sardines. The money that isn't spent on beer and food goes back home. So that perfect little scenario that you think happens due to illegal labor isn't so perfect. The owner gets over on Americans, not just financially but also by holding jobs that should go to natural citizens and/or legal immigrants.

And just because the line is long to get in the right way doesn't mean you sneak across without being vetted/documented. It's that simple. If we walked out of that same Publix without paying because the line was too long and another one didn't open, it would be shoplifting, aka a crime. Same scenario here.

Just to add, did you notice that many of the Mexican residents as well as the local government didn't want that caravan there? That's why this whole issue started, right, because of that caravan. So what does it tell you when THEY didn't want them there?
"Listen, kid?"

Stopped reading right there. Take a walk.

Top Bottom