• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Tony the Tigger

Advertisement
Ok. Guess you only pretended to care about the childrens’ well being at the border then. If money going towards their well being makes you yawn.
Be serious. If that was a concern, it would go through via a clean bill.

Nice try.

Angel Ariel

My son is 8, 3rd grade. Asks for a phone now and is repeatedly told it won’t happen.

I tell him that is he’s responsible and keeps good grades, he’ll get one in 6th grade (age 11). That’s the age when I started doing a lot more without my parents... amusement parks, our swim club, basketball tournaments etc. I remember always having a pay phone to call my parents to pick me up. Yeah, adults have cell phones and he could easily ask to use one, but I’d feel more comfortable with his own.
I can’t even stay at all of his practices now.. some coaches don’t allow it. With soccer I could sit in my car on some days, and do.. but many times he gets dropped off and I pick him up 2 hours later. The amount of parents at practices will continue to dwindle over the next few years.

All of this is completely dependent on grades and maturity level at that time.. but I don’t foresee an issue with that.

I thinks it’s definitely a case by case decision..and definitely depends on the activity/social level of the kids.

His school doesn’t allow cell phones during school hours.. I don’t have to worry about school time use.
My nephew lives and breathes hockey right now. We joke anytime we ask them if they can do anything because the answer is always “no, we have hockey.” His dad is involved with the team operations, so he’s not just a parent coming to practice and he’s always there.

Schools in general don’t “allow” personal cell phone use during school. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. My brother also teaches middle school right now, and oh the stories he can tell you about cell phones. And his school doesn’t allow their use either.

Angel Ariel

For the folks who don't want a wall: what is there to lose by building one?
5 billion dollars would go a long way to fully funding IDEA at the levels it was intended to be funded. Given the difference that would make in the education of children like my daughter, it’s a pretty high priority for me. (That said I also know it is a pipe dream - there’s my idealism popping out again)

gsam4ever

5 billion dollars would go a long way to fully funding IDEA at the levels it was intended to be funded. Given the difference that would make in the education of children like my daughter, it’s a pretty high priority for me. (That said I also know it is a pipe dream - there’s my idealism popping out again)
We all know (at least those who want to admit it) $5 billion is a joke. It will easily cost double that if not more.

21stamps

My nephew lives and breathes hockey right now. We joke anytime we ask them if they can do anything because the answer is always “no, we have hockey.” His dad is involved with the team operations, so he’s not just a parent coming to practice and he’s always there.

Schools in general don’t “allow” personal cell phone use during school. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. My brother also teaches middle school right now, and oh the stories he can tell you about cell phones. And his school doesn’t allow their use either.
That’s great. I definitely understand waiting if someone can.. I just don’t think it’s practical for all. I live 7 minutes from an amusement park, and I’ll drop my kid off with his friends once he’s in 6th grade, I’ll allow him to go to the swim club with friends too.

I went back on my GrpupMe app to find this specific convo.. this is why I won’t wait. Lol. Luckily our coach arrive early. He had guest practiced with another team prior to his normal training that day.. it ended 30 minutes before, and I was stuck in a parking lot on the highway. I was worried.

(For reference it’s a huge outdoor soccer complex with mostly people we don’t know, and a dangerous parking lot at that time)

434B7647-7F40-4E51-8991-2BF5AA68183D.jpeg

LittleBuford

Tony the Tigger

For the folks who don't want a wall: what is there to lose by building one?
Wow. OK.

1. You know money doesn't grow on trees, right? It's not pulled out of thin air, either. It's coming out of our pockets and being diverted from other (more deserving) places.
a) Approx 2.5 billion taken from Puerto Rico restoration. That's a pretty big thing to lose.
b) Approx 2.5 billion taken from California's restoration. Ditto.
c) Whatever better things the additional at least 10 billion on top of that could be spent on (including not spending it at all and thereby not adding to the debt, including actual military needs, etc.)
d) He said Mexico would pay for it. Why should I pay for it?

2. You might as well knock the Statue of Liberty over. Or at least slap that tablet out of her hand. "Give me your tired, your poor..." but only if they can get past the wall. Maybe he can make a new reality show about that.

3. Even more of our moral standing and leadership in the world than we've already lost by electing this moron (assuming the election results are even legitimate.)

4. Self-respect as we, collectively, fall for a con-man's pitch.

5. Oh, yeah: even more money when the next President unbuilds the wall.

6. There will be lawsuits from the Americans who own the land Trump would have to seize from them in order to build it.

7. Yes, wildlife, ecosystems, etc.

8. Yes, migrant workers that save us money on everything from child care to produce.

I'm sure there's more, that's just off the top of my head.

Now, what do you think you will gain, besides a giant FU to immigrants and asylum seekers coming up that way (but not any other way) and a whole bunch of debt?

Willmark

We all know (at least those who want to admit it) $5 billion is a joke. It will easily cost double that if not more.
Yeah it’s like we shouldn’t give the federal government more things to spend money on, like healthcare.... oh wait.

But then again we were told it was going to “bend the cost curve down.”

EricsBiscuit

I love watching the left talk about private property! Ahhh. When the discussion shifts to economics they'll be "wE nEeD tO rEdIsTrIbUtE tHe WeAlTh!!1!"

21stamps

I love watching the left talk about private property! Ahhh. When the discussion shifts to economics they'll be "wE nEeD tO rEdIsTrIbUtE tHe WeAlTh!!1!"
Crazy isn’t it?

At least it’s better than confusing the proposed wall with closing our points of entry for asylum seekers.. and saying things like loss of respect... loss of integrity.. respect from whom? Integrity- why?

Secure borders = a nation who doesn’t respect itself?

🤦‍♀️

This is flippn nuts.

draybook

Wow. OK.

1. You know money doesn't grow on trees, right? It's not pulled out of thin air, either. It's coming out of our pockets and being diverted from other (more deserving) places.
a) Approx 2.5 billion taken from Puerto Rico restoration. That's a pretty big thing to lose.
b) Approx 2.5 billion taken from California's restoration. Ditto.
c) Whatever better things the additional at least 10 billion on top of that could be spent on (including not spending it at all and thereby not adding to the debt, including actual military needs, etc.)
d) He said Mexico would pay for it. Why should I pay for it?

2. You might as well knock the Statue of Liberty over. Or at least slap that tablet out of her hand. "Give me your tired, your poor..." but only if they can get past the wall. Maybe he can make a new reality show about that.

3. Even more of our moral standing and leadership in the world than we've already lost by electing this moron (assuming the election results are even legitimate.)

4. Self-respect as we, collectively, fall for a con-man's pitch.

5. Oh, yeah: even more money when the next President unbuilds the wall.

6. There will be lawsuits from the Americans who own the land Trump would have to seize from them in order to build it.

7. Yes, wildlife, ecosystems, etc.

8. Yes, migrant workers that save us money on everything from child care to produce.

I'm sure there's more, that's just off the top of my head.

Now, what do you think you will gain, besides a giant FU to immigrants and asylum seekers coming up that way (but not any other way) and a whole bunch of debt?

Fact: coming here across the border, unchecked, is NOT the same thing as being a legal immigrant.

Fact: my paternal grandparents came here LEGALLY from Mexico. So, you and the other Martyrs for Hispanics can save your lectures as far as that goes.

Fact: Trump isn't even the first one to ask for a buttload of money for border security but now all of the sudden people are all up in arms.

Fact: ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, not the "migrants" you speak of are saving us money at the expense of Americans being unemployed. I guess that big you're talking about is okay when it's being waved at citizens...

Also, what other "actual miltary needs" are you talking about that this could go towards? I've got bros still in and I don't hear any grumbling on their end.

Now, what will I gain? I don't know, I think it will perhaps deter, if not stop some of the issues. Didn't they even show on CNN(his biggest whiny detractor) that it seemed to be working in some spots?

This is on TOP of the fact that throughout the last 15 years, the same cornholes that are jamming Trump on his wall request were supporting the idea of cracking down on illegal immigration and border security. Now all of the sudden it's racist and the "act of a tyrant". So which is it? Didn't Mexico offer asylum to those in the caravan? If they truly marched across Mexico unharmed, why don't they take up that offer? If we're such a laughing stock and we're so racist, why is everyone coming here?

Seriously, there's a line that must be drawn and it runs parallel with Mexico. There's a difference between immigrants and ILLEGAL immigrants.

I'm tired from work so this probably came out jumbled but I don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom