• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Violence doesn't mean "directed at people" - it means "use of destructive physical force" against a person or thing.

Considering how much damage they did, starting with throwing bricks through windows - yes, I would call it violence.

It was actually bordering on terrorism, given that it was a planned violent act that they even left a note detailing that they did it specifically to intimidate them.
Protesters/agitators typically deny violence when acts aren’t committed against person(s). I’ve seen enough of it locally. Destruction of property is completely justified to them. There’s no point in trying to level with these types if you encounter them online.

Willmark

Advertisement
It’s only a matter of time before the left gets really violent. IMO if they lose the election in November, it will make thinks like the Weather Underground and the Symbionese Liberation Army look like amateur hour.

The Mom

Premium Member
I would never force a woman to keep a baby. What I want, and what Pro Life means to me is these two main points-
EDUCATION on options when pregnant.
NO late term or partial abortions.

Both PP and NARAL- aka the mainstays/loudmouths/most influential of the Pro Choice movement- advocate for late term and partial. They hated when the law changed. They hated when Florida voted FOR parental consent.
Abortion is legal, but there is nothing that says women shouldn’t be educated of their choices, and there is definitely nothing that says it can be at any point.
I still disagree. I would not want to force a woman to go through a pregnancy, labor & delivery if she did not choose to do so. I'm not going to go through my personal reasons again, but am thankful that I had a choice about continuing my own pregnancy.

Willmark

They're already violent. It's a question of how much worse will it get.
Right now it’s Antifa hurling glass jars, urine bombs, m-80s, rocks, bricks and lighting stuff on fire, generally at rallies.

I fully expect that an election loss will send the left over the edge of we’ll see another Timothy McVey type who wasn’t really left or right (despite attempts by both sides) to pin him to their political opponents. He was certainly anti government but I’m not sure he belongs to the idea of right wing terrorism anymore than left wing. I know what the links people will inevitably post will say (right wing terrorism) and that may be, but it’s also not my point.

My point is that we’ve had relatively few incidents like that since 1995. But given the ease of what he made and the scale? That should make anyone take pause regardless of political affiliation.

Last edited:

Jim S

I still disagree. I would not want to force a woman to go through a pregnancy, labor & delivery if she did not choose to do so. I'm not going to go through my personal reasons again, but am thankful that I had a choice about continuing my own pregnancy.
But not everyone involved in this process has a fair and free choice. Who speaks for the living being in the womb? Do they get a choice?

Jim S

Protesters/agitators typically deny violence when acts aren’t committed against person(s). I’ve seen enough of it locally. Destruction of property is completely justified to them. There’s no point in trying to level with these types if you encounter them online.
Every Trump supporter I know will not put a Trump sticker on their vehicle-many will never wear a MAGA hat or Trump supporting t-shirt in public.
Not worth the risk of being attacked.

They fear violence from the left-period.

Tony the Tigger

I don't think this is a right wing Fox-esque news site: https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/10/12/17969824/star-wars-marvel-chuck-wendig-fired-tweets. But, it really would fly under the radar of those who aren't interested in Marvel, etc.
I was about to stand corrected until I clicked your link, and then the link to his “offensive tweet storm.”

I would argue this was one of those things most of us never heard of while it began as a right wing story. They took something and blew it up to get someone fired because he expressed progressive views and used some bad words. It was, in fact, a Fox-esque story to begin with, like so many fake illegal-voting outrage pieces, Antifa pieces, etc.

I expected a lot worse when I clicked to read his tweets. They were just his personal opinion, very similar to mine, in a moment of outrage over the hearing.

I guess I can never work for a big company because I posted something similar about Kanye yesterday.

Sometimes we calm down first and control ourselves; sometimes we don’t. These platforms encourage casual speech as if you were having a conversation with your friends. It’s no big deal.

He maybe could have been reprimanded, taught that what he did was unprofessional and reflected poorly on his employer, make an apology and don’t do it again.

EricsBiscuit

But my question to you is: is that fair to the child?
Every Trump supporter I know will not put a Trump sticker on their vehicle-many will never wear a MAGA hat or Trump supporting t-shirt in public.
Not worth the risk of being attacked.

They fear violence from the left-period.
I've worn my Trump hat and Trump shirts in public many times. If I offend someone they can look the other way.

OneofThree

That's one of those things that sounds nice, or makes someone feel better about themselves.

There is a difference between "holding beliefs" for half a century vs. actively trying to force others to live by your beliefs. That's the difference between what has generally been considered the right vs. the far right. The mainstream right knew they had to compromise because they aren't the only ones who live in this country.

The mainstream right is now the far right. There is no denying the shift. Or at least, they got more far right leaders elected.

Jeff Flake is not even a centrist. He was just slightly reasonable and traditional.

I can be personally against abortion. I can counsel anyone who bothers to ask my opinion and suggest they go the adoption route instead.

I can't then cross the line and force someone else to live by what I've decided for myself. Who am I? Just another citizen.

And before anybody tries it, no, forcing non-discrimination is not the same thing. We ARE all equal in this country, whether some like it or not. That cannot be abridged because one group doesn't think another group should have equal rights. That doesn't work here. Wrong country.
It looks as though you are suggesting that conservatism is best defined as an ideology that "forces others to live by your beliefs", which I think is incredibly myopic. You base that suggesting primarily on 2 issues -abortion and equality. Abortion is a terrible example of anything because of the nexus with murder. Likewise, suggesting that the historic issues of inequality is a conservative politics phenomena seems almost as inaccurate.

So that man may vote in his own self interest rather than in the interest of his category (i.e. more worried about his tax rate than if people are denied their right to vote.)
I'm not one who thinks carrying out our civic duties should be accomplished through each of us voting for whatever or whomever suits our own personal interests at the expense of the critical principles without which we have no United States. I also think it's it's wrong to be inherently suspect of black or gay people voting Republican. Why? Because it presupposes that overall, the nation would be a better place for them when the inverse is entirely arguable. Doing so diminishes the idea that these have done due diligence and are exercising an informed opinion.

Honestly, what I've been seeing (I think) is a focused individual, and that's totally understandable. At the same time, I don't believe anyone can or should engage politically on single issues. A much broader picture demands attention.

I've rewritten a response to this about 4 times and none of them seem to fit. So maybe I will just respond with a question...what are people supposed to take from this? What are the takeaways for the "left" and the "right" from this piece?

My gut says this is total garbage and nothing but an eloquent semantics game about labels. And neither this person or most here on this forum for the past few pages has been willing to define their own terms for left and/or right to even invite the discussion...which is completely not surprising.
So, I will just respond with a question. . .what are people supposed to take from this? You criticize it as "total garbage", but base it on your "gut" without offering anything of substance in reply. Well done. :rolleyes: It's really sort of amusing from my perspective, given that I have the benefit of knowing the likes of who wrote the original and the "work" here of the one responding to it. :D

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Premium Member
I mean, how can you win this debate when his source is the Conservative Tribune?
You mean there are still people on here denying climate change??? What a bunch of....well...I better just say that they are truly living in Fantasyland and leave it at that. If they refuse to believe scientific fact, there is no helping them. A few of them probably believe the earth is flat too!

Tony Perkis

Violence doesn't mean "directed at people" - it means "use of destructive physical force" against a person or thing.

Considering how much damage they did, starting with throwing bricks through windows - yes, I would call it violence.

It was actually bordering on terrorism, given that it was a planned violent act that they even left a note detailing that they did it specifically to intimidate them.
*Worst violence since the KKK*

*spray painted doors*

Top Bottom