General political chat

Angel Ariel

Oh yeah? Like they did with Hillary? LOL.

It is this type of overconfidence that is why the democrats will lose again, unfortunately - because of folks like you who don't seem to understand how dire the situation is for the party.
FWIW, most of the feeds I see from Democrats I know do absolutely understand how dire the situation is, and aren’t overconfident about November at all. I agree also..I don’t see a candidate that democrats can really rally around right now for 2020 (save Biden, but his candidacy would have issues also).

At local levels, here anyway, the democrats don’t seem to be in as much disarray. I’d actually say they’re very motivated and getting people to rally very well. It isn’t translating into that on a national level, though, for sure.

21stamps

Advertisement
By sheer numbers alone, antifa is an enormous threat. The KKK is tiny (I’m glad to say)
For sure..
No. I don’t. As I said, they are extremist. As is antifa. I thought the word extremist was pretty self explanatory.

There have been many incidents of hate towards minority groups here in the last few years. They aren’t big enough to make national news, but they are a growing problem all the same. As antifa is as well, which I stated quite clearly a few pages back.
It strikes me as odd anytime I hear or see someone equate, or link, anti semites with republicans. I could give a long list of reasons why, but the main one- support of Israel.

In contrast, we’ve all seen a lot of anti Israel signs and shouts as of late, many more or those than what we see of the KKK... and it’s not GOPers holding those signs or doing the shouting.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

It strikes me as odd anytime I hear or see someone equate anti semites with republicans. I could give a long list of reasons why, but the main one- support of Israel.
My point is that hate knows *no one* political party or belief. Hate can, and does exist throughout the political spectrum. Extremists do not represent the mainstream of any party.

21stamps

My point is that hate knows *no one* political party or belief. Hate can, and does exist throughout the political spectrum. Extremists do not represent the mainstream of any party.
I agree with you in premise.. but as I posted the other day, the lines are blurring between extreme and mainstream with democrats. This happens when party leaders and media use dangerous rhetoric and boldface lies, intentionally. When leaders say that “a party can not be civil”, or to attack a republican wherever they are.

Tony the Tigger

Is it fair to force a woman to risk her life for an unborn, unwanted child? To suffer pain birthing an unwanted child? That was my situation , and I already had a child, husband, family. Is it fair to ask someone to die for a "child" who is not yet born? Had things gone south, I would have chosen to save my own life, rather than a nebulous future child, rather than have my existing child grow up without a mother, and my husband without a wife. Other women might make a different choice if faced with the same risk. I guess I'm just selfish in valuing my life over a fetus. Many women would have ended the pregnancy earlier, rather than taking it a day at a time, as I did. Other women would have said the child unborn child comes first - bye-bye daughter and husband. I don't think the law should force someone who did not want a child to go through what I went through.
If we must be "unfair" to someone, I would choose the live person in front of me over the fetus in her abdomen. My opinion only, and I don't expect you to agree. Nor would I try to change your mind about your choice. But as I've already stated before, the fact that I could have an abortion (even late term) if things got too bad was what allowed me to continue the pregnancy by choice - rather than being forced to die for this unknown "child" if things went to hell. If abortion had not been available, I would have had to continue knowing that I could do nothing to prevent my death if things went wrong - which might had caused me to have major post-partum emotional issues. Which might not have been "fair to the child."

Things worked out OK (more or less) in the end, but it was my choice every step of the way.
That was very moving, and I’m sorry you had to go through it.

A Jewish community center near me was just vandalized with swastikas for the second time in recent months. It just doesn’t get national coverage. This type of behavior is being increasingly exhibited by extremists on both sides of the spectrum.
It may exist on both sides, but it seems to be pretty lopsided.

AEfx

FWIW, most of the feeds I see from Democrats I know do absolutely understand how dire the situation is, and aren’t overconfident about November at all. I agree also..I don’t see a candidate that democrats can really rally around right now for 2020 (save Biden, but his candidacy would have issues also).
In another climate Biden could do it, but he is an "old white man" - and given the current narrative of the party - just no way that is happening. Even if he managed to be nominated, he wouldn't get enthusiastic support. So many individual groups want to be represented, and have made it quite clear how they feel about such a candidate.

At local levels, here anyway, the democrats don’t seem to be in as much disarray. I’d actually say they’re very motivated and getting people to rally very well. It isn’t translating into that on a national level, though, for sure.
I think that the issue there is going to be in those local elections how far left they are going with nominations. It is going to be hard for them to actually win the mainstream elections when they put up such far-leaning candidates. As soon as mainstream voters hear such extreme views as, "let's give licenses to illegal immigrants for the express purposes to subvert immigration authorities", for example, mainstream voters just get turned off.

AEfx

A Jewish community center near me was just vandalized with swastikas for the second time in recent months. It just doesn’t get national coverage. This type of behavior is being increasingly exhibited by extremists on both sides of the spectrum.
Well, I think that is considering how the media got burned the last time - when there was that spate of them last year, for months on end, that everyone blamed on "alt-right" - when we later found out it was actually some kid in Israel and his dad making robocalls. The few that had real vandalism lat the same time turned out to be a disgruntled boyfriend of someone who worked there (who was black).

The media isn't reporting on this stuff because in the end, much of it seems to be self-directed or is otherwise outright debunked (like the "spate" of supposed anti-Muslim attacks after the election which almost all fizzled under scruitny). This stuff plays great on social media where no one asks for facts or ever finds out the results of an investigation, and just paints this as some horrible dangerous place where roaming mobs of people are running the streets going after Jews and gay people, etc.

Angel Ariel

I think that the issue there is going to be in those local elections how far left they are going with nominations. It is going to be hard for them to actually win the mainstream elections when they put up such far-leaning candidates. As soon as mainstream voters hear such extreme views as, "let's give licenses to illegal immigrants for the express purposes to subvert immigration authorities", for example, mainstream voters just get turned off.
The candidates here that I’ve seen so far are not very far left leaning at all. Very much mainstream candidates.

Angel Ariel

Well, I think that is considering how the media got burned the last time - when there was that spate of them last year, for months on end, that everyone blamed on "alt-right" - when we later found out it was actually some kid in Israel and his dad making robocalls. The few that had real vandalism lat the same time turned out to be a disgruntled boyfriend of someone who worked there (who was black).

The media isn't reporting on this stuff because in the end, much of it seems to be self-directed or is otherwise outright debunked (like the "spate" of supposed anti-Muslim attacks after the election which almost all fizzled under scruitny). This stuff plays great on social media where no one asks for facts or ever finds out the results of an investigation, and just paints this as some horrible dangerous place where roaming mobs of people are running the streets going after Jews and gay people, etc.
Just want to clarify, I don’t expect what happened here to get national coverage. It was very much local only news. My main point was that hate knows no one party or belief system.

aw14

In another climate Biden could do it, but he is an "old white man" - and given the current narrative of the party - just no way that is happening. Even if he managed to be nominated, he wouldn't get enthusiastic support. So many individual groups want to be represented, and have made it quite clear how they feel about such a candidate.
I think the old white man would need to be overcome if the D want to win. He will need to bring out Obama to help as much as possible.

As of right now, on a national level, the D have no one who can win. Of course, things can change, and surprises can happen. But looking at their bench, Warren and Harris are their best female candidates, Booker or Castro as minority male.....doesn’t ooze confidence.

Gillebrand has utterly destroyed any small chance she has by being seen and supporting Linda Sarsour. That is a horrible human being.

The Mom

Premium Member
That was very moving, and I’m sorry you had to go through it.

My point was that, thanks to Roe versus Wade, I didn't have to go through my pregnancy. I had a choice, and chose to continue the pregnancy - knowing that I had options if the worse case scenario was to happen. But I can't imagine forcing someone to go through it, or what my state of mind (and my husband's) would have been if I had no choice.

One big problem is that there is no way of knowing which pregnancy will be risky, and even foreknowledge that a woman will probably have life-threatening complications, so should not get pregnant, may not help if BC efforts fail. It has become extremely difficult for a woman to get pre-emptive sterilization, and many men are not willing to do so - a procedure that is much less painful than childbirth.

Roe versus Wade made it possible for a woman and her doctor to make that decision, and choose to terminate a pregnancy, without forcing them to have to plead their case before a medical tribunal or risk legal & professional punishment.

I believe that up until the point of viability, and even later in some rare circumstances (ie, risk of mother dying), a living woman has more rights than a fetus. She should not be forced to go through the dangers, and eventually pain, of pregnancy against her will. She should not be forced to raise that child, or give it up for adoption, against her will.

I would obviously prefer that that no woman get pregnant unless and until she is both ready and able to raise a child. I had hoped, as so many others of my generation hoped, that making BC and sex education commonplace would have reduced the need for abortion. I still believe that it should not be undertaken lightly as if it's no big deal. It is, and should not be undertaken without a woman being 100% cognizant of what she is doing - so I also have no issue with requiring counseling and a 24 hr waiting period to mull it over. We (in FL) make people wait 3 days to purchase firearms. This is actually terminating a potential - but still only potential - life, rather than a possibility that you might do so.

So, you could say that I am in favor of "common sense abortion control laws."

Last edited:

Jim S

The candidates here that I’ve seen so far are not very far left leaning at all. Very much mainstream candidates.
Democrats have made it an election strategy for years (recommended by R Emanual) to talk like a moderate to get elected and then vote purely with the Pelosi agenda.

Democrats can't be honest about who they are and win elections. Not one of them will work with Trump if they get to DC.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
The irony here is huge. Please feel free to go back and see the CNN piece with Don lemon. Laughing at the word Negro, calling the recent display a minstrel show, and using the persons dead mother. Awesome
A lot of careless, perhaps intentional offense went on during that exchange than mere awkwardness by placing an article before a group to whom one is referring, as in “the blacks.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom