• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

General political chat

21stamps

Chicago is closer to a pie than any other. Love it. Not easy to find in my area. But I have a place 2 min away. Delicious.

St. Louis style is an acquired taste, but if you grew up on it, you will likely tolerate it at least.

Detroit style — your digestive system will hate you for.

New York is delicious. Folded around the index finger, if the slices are large enough. Hard to find in my area, but I have a place.

I’ve heard Ohio has their own. Not sure what it could be.
Cincinnati has their own chili.. I’ve never heard of “Ohio pizza” though.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Premium Member
Advertisement
Cincinnati has their own chili.. I’ve never heard of “Ohio pizza” though.
I saw it on Food Network about 15 years ago. It didn’t seem that unique. I’ve had chili with beans, a touch of cinnamon on a plate of spaghetti noodles. You mean that?

Gitson Shiggles

Premium Member
Chicago is closer to a pie than any other. Love it. Not easy to find in my area. But I have a place 2 min away. Delicious.

St. Louis style is an acquired taste, but if you grew up on it, you will likely tolerate it at least.

Detroit style — your digestive system will hate you for. Why would anyone want punish themselves?

New York is delicious. Folded around the index finger, if the slices are large enough. Hard to find in my area, but I have a place.

Don’t trust these crap excuses for pizza: Dominos, Pizza Hut, Little Caesar’s, Papa John’s. They all use the same cheese supplier. The cheese isn’t the only reason; just something I’d thought I’d throw in there. I’ll eat Papa John’s in a hangry pinch, but I almost always regret it.

Tony the Tigger

Premium Member
It’s a little early yet, but this is appropriate for this discussion. Beautiful renditions of this song have been done by Andy Williams, James Taylor, etc.

Some children see Him lily white
The baby Jesus born this night
Some children see Him lily white
With tresses soft and fair

Some children see Him bronzed and brown
The Lord of heav'n to earth come down
Some children see Him bronzed and brown
With dark and heavy hair

Some children see Him almond-eyed
This Saviour whom we kneel beside
Some children see Him almond-eyed
With skin of golden hue

Some children see Him dark as they
Sweet Mary's Son to whom we pray
Some children see him dark as they
And, oh they love Him too

The children in each different place
Will see the baby Jesus' face
Like theirs, but bright, with heavenly grace
And filled with holy light

Oh lay aside each earthly thing
And with thy heart as offering
Come worship now the infant King
'Tis love that's born tonight

'Tis love that's born tonight

On a more messed up note, the original lyrics to "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" were pretty morbid:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past
Pop that champagne cork
Next year we may all be living in New York
No good times like the olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us no more
But at least we all will be together
If the Lord allows
From now on, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

Thankfully, Judy Garland had the good sense to change and/or insist on changes to the lyrics she was handed before introducing it to the world in "Meet Me In St. Louis." (I'm becoming a TCM junkie in my old age.)

Detroit style — your digestive system will hate you for. Why would anyone want punish themselves?

It's nearly all bad in Florida.

Tony the Tigger

Premium Member
Don’t trust these crap excuses for pizza: Dominos, Pizza Hut, Little Caesar’s, Papa John’s. They all use the same cheese supplier. The cheese isn’t the only reason; just something I’d thought I’d throw in there. I’ll eat Papa John’s in a hangry pinch, but I almost always regret it.
They're also mostly run by right wing nut jobs.

Gitson Shiggles

Premium Member
On a more messed up note, the original lyrics to "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" were pretty morbid:

It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past
Pop that champagne cork
Next year we may all be living in New York
No good times like the olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us no more
But at least we all will be together
If the Lord allows
From now on, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

Thankfully, Judy Garland had the good sense to change and/or insist on changes to the lyrics she was handed before introducing it to the world in "Meet Me In St. Louis." (I'm becoming a TCM junkie in my old age.)

It's nearly all bad in Florida.
I always chuckle when kids sing about wassailing.

Grimley1968

I'm trying to wrap my head around Kanye wanting to repeal the 13th Amendment. Somehow, the verbiage in it about convicts is a "trap door" for slavery to continue, or people to be unjustly convicted, or something. I'm all for reforming the justice system to make sentencing more in line with modern values, but repealing the 13th Amendment to do so is, umm, counter-intuitive to me. o_O

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Premium Member
I'm trying to wrap my head around Kanye wanting to repeal the 13th Amendment. Somehow, the verbiage in it about convicts is a "trap door" for slavery to continue, or people to be unjustly convicted, or something. I'm all for reforming the justice system to make sentencing more in line with modern values, but repealing the 13th Amendment to do so is, umm, counter-intuitive to me. o_O
Didn't he correct himself the other day and say he meant amend (I imagine in a way that would help with criminal justice reform?)? Or did he say repeal again today?

Jim S

Kanye West seems to have the liberal press and democrat party nervous to the point of trying to destroy him.

The democrats know if they lose a few percentage points of the voting black community they will struggle to win presidential elections.
It is going to get more interesting as we go forward.

Kanye could go in a lot of directions so I am just sitting back watching heads explode on the left.

21stamps

Kanye West seems to have the liberal press and democrat party nervous to the point of trying to destroy him.

The democrats know if they lose a few percentage points of the voting black community they will struggle to win presidential elections.
It is going to get more interesting as we go forward.

Kanye could go in a lot of directions so I am just sitting back watching heads explode on the left.
I’ve just been ignoring him. 😂. I don’t need Kanye West as a GOP spokesperson 🤦‍♀️

LittleBuford

Jesus & other Biblical characters were frequently (if not always) depicted wearing typical European Medieval and Rennaissance clothing. It's not as if the artists had a lot of Middle Easterners to pose for them. They were painted as "Europeans" because the artists and viewers lacked imagination or opportunity to do otherwise - and frequently artists put their patrons/families/friends into the paintings.
Since this is apolitical and something I’m interested in, I’d like to add a few points.

First, the depiction of Christ as a vaguely European (but still Mediterranean) man goes back to some of the earliest images we have of him, and is an outgrowth of ancient Greco-Roman (pagan) iconography. One of the most famous examples is this Byzantine icon now in Sinai: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Pantocrator_(Sinai). Here we see a Mediterranean Christ who is really not unlike his later Italian counterparts (the Borgia claim is bogus).

Second, while certain religious figures were indeed depicted in contemporary medieval or Renaissance attire, Christ, the Virgin, and other biblical personages were usually depicted in generic ancient-looking garb consisting largely of loose robes. Sometimes, both approaches were used in the same image, as in this example, where the military figures are in Renaissance costume but everyone else wears robes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion_(Mantegna)

21stamps

A Skyline 4-way can include beans OR onions and a 5-way includes beans AND onions. Gold Star works the same way.
Yes, it can.. I almost explained that but decided against it. The chili is still completely different than standard chili with beans. I didn’t want to cause confusion in linking the two.

A 3 way is the typical Cincinnati chili.. beans and onions are add ins. I personally order a 4 way with onions and extra hot sauce.

Side note- there’s an awesome location in Ft. Lauderdale, FL- it’s actually my favorite Skyline establishment! (I don’t touch Gold Star)

Top Bottom