General news on Disney MGM

jazcatsnh

Original Poster
Ok here goes for MGM

General info ----

According to 8 cast members, the hat (which is HUGE BY THE WAY and now has its 100 on the front) is the new Icon. The ears are staying but the Icon is changed. There are new shirts and glasses with the new Icon.

Also, the understanding is before 2004, some said December some said next year and some 2004 when the contract runs out, MGM is gone. They have shirts already available at the stores that say Walt Disney Studios. At that time EVERYONE said that the GMR is gone and that Lucas and Disney have agreed to put Indiana Jones Ride there (from CA everyone seems to agree).

Bear in The Big Blue House close on August 4th. It reopens in October as Playhouse Disney with a show that will include Bear, PB&J Otter, Stanley (a new show), and Rollie Pollie Ollie. If you have kids you know who I mean

You can find at least 4 Atlantis characters in the Grotto like area at the Animation Studio - Milo Thatic, Princess Kida, Mole and Vinny. NEVER A LINE.

Construction all around the Hat. They are removing the dividing wall between where the hat is now (infront of GMR) and the Little Mermaid area.

ToT was better than last year (or so it seemed). FYI up until about 11am there was never more than a 15 minute wait. After that it got bad. We went a few times (even my five year old) and had on average 9 drops/lifts on the elevator.

The park is now (as of Saturday) only doing one Fantasmic at 9am and clsoing then. They switch to a 8:30 closing in a couple of weeks or so as well.

There is a construction blocked out area out front of the gates, near the friendship dock.

IMPORTANT - for anyone staying at the boardwalk, yacht, beach, swan or dolphoin they have completed a great walkway along the canal from Boardwalk to MGM. It takes no more than 10 minutes tops and we beat 3 boats coming back from Fantasmic. No signs for it yet since it is really only for guests but to find it from MGM, follow the signs to the bus pickup area and then just keep following the walkway beyond the last bus pickup, you will see the pathway bears to the left to the canal. Thats it. Ridiculously well lit so great way to travel back and forth.

Minnies character Breakfast was practically 1/2 full on the 2 times we did it.

Note - We had one Fantasmic cancel on us halfway through (that stunk) since it started to rain. They will not start that show early for some stupid reason even when they are tracking weather so be prepared.

They are leaving the shops on Sunset and Hollywood open for 30 minutes after Fantasmic by the way.

The GMR never had even a 5 minute wait. It took longer to walk through the lines then to anything else.

Star Tours - The At At's are not firing water anymore.

Muppets - Do not FP this. It is a waste and not needed. You can walk right in at anytime, no waiting.

Not many characters over here and no parade anymore. With construction and the upcoming 100th the park is not that crowded.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am curious as to how they aborted Fantasmic? Where abouts were they in the show? what did they say?

Thanks! :)

jazcatsnh

Original Poster
Steve

It started raining right away but the got all the way to the evil queen. She started her spiel and then nothing. Suddenly the lights came up in the arena, she walked off stage. They said nothing. About 10 minutes later as people were filling out they filling announced that do to inclement weather the rest of Fantasmic was cancelled.

Really should have announced it right away. Everyone had been there from 8 on or so and sitting in the rain for about 15-20 minutes of the show. As an aside they also dropped the Beast water float during the rain (Ariel and the Snow white one still went on) before everything stopped at the queen.

wdwcrazy

Thanks for sharing all the news! Is the GRM building large enough to hold the Indiaina Jones attraction from Disneyland??

jazcatsnh

Original Poster
What I was told is the GMR building as it stands would be gone but that it actually is a very large building footprint and so it could hold the ride.

WDW-Imagineer

I would have no problem with the Indiana Jones ride replacing GMR, and judging by your comments, it looks like that is what's gonna happen.

Also... for you Disneyland goers; What type of facade does the Indiana Jones ride have??

popkid

the facade and the queue for indy in DL is one of my favorites in all the parks! set like ancient ruins - there are lots of little known 'interactive' things to be found... such as a pole that triggers a 'booby trap' and a rope with a 'do not touch' sign that has a quick quip when 'touched'....

it feels just as if you're exploring right along side with dr jones...

i would think the facade would be a bit out of place where the GMR is - but i do hope they bring the indy ride to WDW - would save me from having to go back to DL just to ride it...

WDW-Imagineer

Is the outside a major part??? The reason I'm asking is if they put Indiana in GMR and the hat was kept there permenately, would the hat ruin Indiana's outside as it does to GMR's??

Goofster

You know, at first I was happy with the hat, but after the party's over, I hope the hat is gone. I seem to like the Epcot sign better, but that's just my opinion. If the indy ride goes in, I wouldn't mind it being in the Chinese Theatre, but It should at least keep up the hollywood theme. I just couldn't see ruins on Hollywood Blvd.

well it seems weird that they would have 2 Indiana attractions next to each other....dosnt seem very Disney like to have 2 Attractions with similar themes next to eachother.

Goofster

Originally posted by FutureImagineer
well it seems weird that they would have 2 Indiana attractions next to each other....dosnt seem very Disney like to have 2 Attractions with similar themes next to eachother.

Well then, replace the Stunt Show with the Armageddon Stunt show from WDSP, and there is another stunt show there,too, i think. i forget the name.

jazcatsnh

Original Poster
I would love an Armageadon one but accoridng to at least one CM, the idea is that since Disney has a relationship with Lucas Films the idea is that you would have (picture an arc) an area going from IJ Stunt Show to Star Tours 2 to a resteraunt area (replacing the commissary - that was talked about) and then to the IJ ride. In front of the that Lucas land if you will is ABC TV Land (with a replaced Doug filled in with something ABC themed) and the Drew Carey show. Then you have Jim Henson/Kid's area with the Muppets, Honey I shrnunk the kids play area and the Al's Toy Barn area for pictures. Finally they get Playhouse disney (their new cable channel) where Bear in the Big Blue House was and that's it.

Remember when MGM goes they want all things related to Disney owned groups or friend (Henson/Lucas) and with this setup (as laid out by the CM there) they get that. The only thing has was unsure of was what would go down by the muppets because right now it is dead there. The NY City street is practically empty all day (nothing to do there), and other than the Toy Story pictures next to Mama Melrose, their is no reason to walk beyond Star Tours to even get to the Muppets never mind the theatre for the Hunchback.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom