General negativity on the board

C&D

Original Poster
Let me just preface this post with a disclaimer that this is only my opinion (which in my observation should be used a whole lot more when people post on other threads and are being critical).

I find myself not visiting this Forum as much, as there are so many posters that seem to take great satisfaction to argue or take opposite opinion on just about every topic and thread posted. Alot of times it seems that this is just an argumentative approach and is just to create bait for fellow members to respond in kind (trolling for reaction). There is quite a bit of difference between debate and argument, but this line gets crossed way too often.

For so many to post their declaration for love of all things Disney, I would have to question there sincerity. WDW remains, for me, the happiest place on earth, and I thought I would visit this forum to share that sentiment with others of like persuasion, but it seems more and more difficult lately.

When you look at the scope and grandeur that makes the Walt Disney Company, on whole; what a fantastic job (and that word doesn't nearly describe my accolades) that they are doing.

So, just in closing, I reiterate that this is just my opinion, but I would like to go on record that Disney is doing a great job, this Forum (on whole) is a great place to visit, but I wish we could loose just a little of the negativity.

In all things Disney, I wish everyone happiness. :wave:

CAPTAIN HOOK

...........as there are so many posters that seem to take great satisfaction to argue or take opposite opinion on just about every topic and thread posted.

Oh no we don't :ROFLOL:

As you say in your opening line "this is only my opinion " - surely the point of a "discussion forum" is to voice ones own opinion ???

But I have to say I do agree with you to a point - there is (and always has been) those that seem to want to fight which spoils it for everyone else. :cry:

Alot of the time, if personal snipes and name calling were left alone we would all get on so much better.

Lets make this site a true reflection of Disney and make it The Second Happiest Place On Earth

Since1976

This is the Internet. Everyone's opinion is on here. The awesome thing is, you don't have to read everyone's opinion.

There is a Disney-related web site (which shall remain nameless) which was part of my daily Disney surfing routine for a loooong time. There came a point where I realized that the main writer's negativity far outweighed the positive articles that had drawn me to the site in the first place. So, I did the simple thing -- removed the bookmark from my browser and stopped visiting!

As for the forums, there will always, always, always be negative viewpoints on here. You can chime in and disagree (that's what a forum is for), but if all else fails, ignore posts from that writer, or just let the topic go. A good old fashioned argument is healthy, but there's no reason for disagreement to ruin your overall view of this or any other forum.

As Disney fans, we all get riled up at one time or another over the way our beloved parks are run, and this is a perfect place to vent. The key is to vent in a way which is constructive rather than hostile.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think as a whole our little group is very rational and moderate in their feelings.

There are boards where everyone has a countdown to their trip thread, there are endless questions about where to meet Cinderella, and they have tons of pics and sparkles in their signatures. You can't say anything at Disney is bad without risk of being banned or atleast becoming an outcast.

Then there are the boards where everyone just complains constantly. They usually have some loud figurehead whose every word they cling onto and recite back like the best mocking bird. Doesn't matter if the information is truthfull though.

Yes, people here complain, but they also go around saying "Hoopla!" when it's time to hoopla. WDWmagic is known for having the best info on the net, and it takes a fairly balanced group of people to achieve that.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Actually, this website has improved A LOT from it's early days. There used to be full blown arguments over small details.

I think you just see a lot of passion from people because it's something they care about. It used to be that it would almost get personal with people because they took each subject so seriously. Now it seems they have separated themselves from the subject matter a bit and can discuss it much more rationally.

I used to be one of the bigger "board cops" in my younger days on here. But then I got a real badge and saw how small the dumb little arguments on this page really were in contrast with real life. I've since settled down, and have tried to become a calming influence here, trying to bridge points of view, since I usually can see both sides, and try to find a middle ground.

coltow

This was discussed at length a week or 2 ago. Yes there are some that love to argue and this forum is mostly about opinions and everyone has their own. I've been slammed a couple of times. I just don't take it personally. I also stop reading threads that start to get out of control. I still come here at least once a day and most days more than that, a few "bullies" aren't making me go away.

CrashNet

There will always be negativity on a forum. I will say though that based on other forums I have seen in the past, this one by far is the most mature, most rational, and inquisitive group I've seen.

The wonderful feature of forums is that they are static...you don't have to read everything that's posted. You can even block members that are problematic or that you want to avoid so their posts never show up at all.

Unfortunately, opinions are taken as offensive because text elicits zero emotion. One way of wording something may mean a completely different thing to the same person if a single word was changed or removed. When this happens, the desire to "be heard" as it may overpowers the control to simply ignore it. The result: arguments.

My recommendation is to watch which members you feel cause the most problems. If you see something, feel free to report it to a moderator using the forum's report feature. Also, in the USERCP-->BUDDY / IGNORE LIST, you can add members to the list to remove their posts from your view entirely.

Capt. Salty

I have to say that I have found more valuable trip info here than anywhere else! I know that I can ask a question and get, at least 1/2 dozen quality answers.

I learned in short order here, to take most of what I read with a grain of salt, if you will. If you pay attention a bit, you really get to learn who to trust here. Obviously I don't post much, but I do read a lot here. Opinions are what they are. take the valuable info with you, and throw away the muck.
:wave:

Number_6

I used to go to another board which I won't name, but then I found Magic. This place has, as was said by others, the best information that I've ever found on the web and the most up to date information I've found. Do people get into arguments over what might be considered by some to be silly things? Sure. Do the arguments sometimes get out of hand? Of course. But really, things have calmed down in the past couple of years overall. And even then, I had less problems here than I did at a board where one member was related to a moderator and that member decided he/she could do whatever he/she wanted because of it. That member would also send the moderator to harass anyone the member felt was bother him/her. I decided that was an atmosphere I didn't want to be around any longer. I have unfortunately lost contact with some of my friends from that board, but I've more than made up for it with the friendships I've made here.

ThinkTink721

It's not fun to face sometimes, but there are going to be negative people everywhere you go. :(
You just have to ignore them, be positive & move on. :D
I have been bashed myself at times, just as some others have. :(
But, there is alot of good info. available here & we can help others by answering questions. :D
I am now trying to avoid starting new threads b'cause of the negativity that I have personally experienced.
I have actually found info. regarding WDW that has not even been posted here that I have not shared due to past negative responses. :eek:
But, all in all, I enjoy reading new info. & answering questions for the most part now. :D
:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom