General Discussion of Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So happy this retheme is set in modern times, with all of its modern themes and concepts.

Wait… it’s set in the 1920’s?

Little of what has been shared is time-period appropriate. Food coops existed in the 19th century but what appears to be the concept here didn’t exist until the 1960’s. Women-owned businesses? Certainly possible for a woman to start her own business in the 1920’s, there are businesses dating back into the 1700’s but they are very few, but most weren’t until later in the 1900’s - in 1972, only 4.6% of all businesses were owned by women. It’s hard to suspend this much disbelief.

When Tony Baxter walks away from something because the creative differences are too huge to overcome… you’re in trouble.

Ayla

I also worry from what I’ve been reading, is that they are going from one problem of why they decided to change Splash right into the same problem with Tiana. I didn’t know any of the salt mine stories but I’m doing a lot of research and it just doesn’t sound good.
What is wrong with a ride through the bayou, with all the characters throughout.. leading up to doc Facilier causing havoc at the last drop. Sometimes the most basic storyline can be the best.
I think we're forgetting there will be a tv show that will be out by the time the new ride is open. The characters and storyline we are mocking may be considered common knowledge by that time.

EPCOT-O.G.

I think we're forgetting there will be a tv show that will be out by the time the new ride is open. The characters and storyline we are mocking may be considered common knowledge by that time.
It’s much more likely very few park guests will even be aware of the series, let alone have watched it, as compared to the film.

It’s like building your only two major land attractions on Solo and The Last Jedi.

EPCOT-O.G.

Also, “may be” is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this sentence. Why overthink it? Did they base any other Princess attractions on the DTV sequels of TV series no one watched?

DisneyDebRob

I know that’s the case. I was more referring to the problematic storyline of the salt mine.

SuddenStorm

I also worry from what I’ve been reading, is that they are going from one problem of why they decided to change Splash right into the same problem with Tiana. I didn’t know any of the salt mine stories but I’m doing a lot of research and it just doesn’t sound good.
What is wrong with a ride through the bayou, with all the characters throughout.. leading up to doc Facilier causing havoc at the last drop. Sometimes the most basic storyline can be the best.

For a theme park ride, a simple story to guide decision making is important- to keep things cohesive- but it should not be overly convoluted.

WDI recently has become overly reliant on linear storytelling- dialogue heavy attractions with convoluted stories. Rise is a victim of this- the whole first portion of the experience consists of people yelling the story at you. Their attractions are now overly reliant on linear storytelling- but if all we want is a linear story with complex plotlines you're better off making a movie.

One of the reasons Splash was so dang effective is it used a simple and timeless tale to guide the attraction design- the hero wants to move on, runs into trouble, and learns to be grateful for home. It's something millions of Americans have experienced so it's inherently relatable, often when moving away from home for the first time- you become that much more grateful for your parents/the home you had growing up. It's a story that resonates in American Culture, and has been retold in other stories like the Wizard of Oz.

But an employee owned co op built out of a Salt Mine missing a needed ingredient to sell hot sauce on the way to Mardi Gras is convoluted, tough to understand, and will be even harder to translate into attraction form.

drizgirl

164+ million people currently subscribe to Disney+. Odds are high people who visit WDW are subscribers.
We don't have it and just visited last month. Not everyone has it or will have watched it. It's quite a leap to assume the characters (beyond what was in the original movie) will be well known or loved. It's a series, so plenty of people who have D+ won't even invest the time to watch (like they might have for a movie).

MerlinTheGoat

Where does this rumor originate? I've seen it referenced a few times but haven't seen the source.
There appears to be two things feeding into it-

1- The assumption that he's always just been used as a PR mouthpiece for the project and has no actual involvement beyond that. And that his lack of "presence" in any of the photos or videos about the ride's creation is "proof" of this.

2- Someone made a post in the other thread that he used to be involved but jumped ship very early on. This appeared to be a joke though as the followup post said the source was a "bus driver".

An independent source that I trust (and has gotten other things correct about the project so far) stated that Tony Baxter is indeed working on this substantively. And that he's glad to be involved and didn't angrily dump the project. And until I see evidence otherwise (like from one of the established trustworthy insiders here or comment from Tony himself), I'm trusting this source. I'm guessing at the very least Tony is involved in the interior scenes. They look like they have his influence.

_caleb

I understand a lead imagineer driving things but if they are designing something for them moreso than everyone else, and people within Disney are afraid to question any of it, we have a problem.
What makes you think you (or the vocal critics of the backstory) represent “everyone else?”

And haven’t you ever ended up enjoying something that didn’t sound very appealing when it was first explained to you?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
What makes you think you (or the vocal critics of the backstory) represent “everyone else?
Just judging by the reactions to this attraction so far, on this forum and other social media sites and postings. I would say it’s about 70/30 negative or at the very least questionable right now

I hope they do this right but I’ve seen little indication so far. If they have to replace splash with tiana, then at least use the movie characters and storyline that more enjoyed and that lends itself to fun possibilities in an attraction for all ages. We don’t need a salt mine hot sauce log ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom