News Gangway being prepped near to the Contemporary - second level access coming to the ferry boat?

lazyboy97o

For moving the gangway setup or are you concerned about the ferries?

The ferries won't be an issue, they already load the top decks. All this is doing is making egress easier and faster than merging everyone at the stairs on the ferry. It will easily make turn around faster at the MK. I do wonder if the same improvements will occur at the TTC.
The photos are of construction at the Transportation and Ticket Center.

Skywise

Hmmmm....
You would only do this if you thought you'd need an increase of throughput on the ferries. Which, supposedly, have handled the load fine all these years. (C'mon - the MK has been AT capacity for years)

I wonder if this portends that they're going to do a major overhaul of the monorails requiring them to be down for awhile...

castlecake2.0

Hmmmm....
You would only do this if you thought you'd need an increase of throughput on the ferries. Which, supposedly, have handled the load fine all these years. (C'mon - the MK has been AT capacity for years)

I wonder if this portends that they're going to do a major overhaul of the monorails requiring them to be down for awhile...
Interesting thought. I feel they’ve got a maximum of 8ish years of useful life left of the current trains with their most recent refurbs, that’s not a lot of time to commission new trains and get them on the beam.

Skywise

Interesting thought. I feel they’ve got a maximum of 8ish years of useful life left of the current trains with their most recent refurbs, that’s not a lot of time to commission new trains and get them on the beam.
One counter thought - Figure this change gets them maybe close to 2x throughput with one ferry before having to bring a 2nd online - which equals $$$!

With the monorails the only thing they can do is extend the trains - they can't widen them without redoing the entire track, which isn't impossible but you've got the Contemporary which is a whole other problem. There's room to extend the trains in the contemporary without a change - but the GF and Poly and MK stations would have to be updated - though that would be a relatively cheaper change.

lazyboy97o

Hmmmm....

There are already plenty of times where there is a backup to get on the ferries.

Walt d

For moving the gangway setup or are you concerned about the ferries?

The ferries won't be an issue, they already load the top decks. All this is doing is making egress easier and faster than merging everyone at the stairs on the ferry. It will easily make turn around faster at the MK. I do wonder if the same improvements will occur at the TTC.
No im read about the boats. I dont worry about fairies.

JoeCamel

One counter thought - Figure this change gets them maybe close to 2x throughput with one ferry before having to bring a 2nd online - which equals $$$!

With the monorails the only thing they can do is extend the trains - they can't widen them without redoing the entire track, which isn't impossible but you've got the Contemporary which is a whole other problem. There's room to extend the trains in the contemporary without a change - but the GF and Poly and MK stations would have to be updated - though that would be a relatively cheaper change.
If that was happening do you think they would have done the poly during the refurb? I do.....

Skywise

If that was happening do you think they would have done the poly during the refurb? I do.....
Maybe, maybe not - This could be a much longer term plan. My city/state has a major highway interchange that HAS to be redesigned/rebuilt - the problem is it's a major nexus for getting into the city and a one year downtime (at least) would seriously disrupt infrastructure and people getting in/out of work. So they've been doing upgrades to roads/exits/interchanges all around the area for the past 10 years and building them up to handle a greater load of traffic so that when they finally do this interchange rework the traffic will (hopefully) be able to have several alternative routes and bypasses into the city. (Ironically - last year would've been a great time to do the work but they didn't have the funding in place yet). This has been in the works for about 15 years!

rogerrabbitfan9

I think it’s much more likely this is just the next step in the journey to improve the arrival/departure process that Disney has been on for a while now.

EeyoreFan#24

My thoughts are it is part of a transportation infrastructure sustainment plan and just came time to do it. I'll wait to see what kind of modifications they need to make to the hardscape where the piers land, but I don't think this was too costly of a project where it would have a high cut risk vs the perceived sustainment of transportation services with forecasted future usage.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
They r gonna need new spiels…which means I have new ones to memorize. Yay!

definitely a good improvement. Does it seem they will load both decks at the same time as well? They can encourage people who do not have stollers or wheelchairs to go directly to the upper deck when they are in queue.
It always took so much effort to get people to upstairs. This will help a lot.

when they built the second gangways, they stopped fully loading the boats and would only load until the next boat was ready to come in. They weren’t necessarily moving more ppl but the perception was that they were. This will also allow them to crank that up.
As was pointed out; it could also be a way to handle more capacity while a ferry boat is in for rehab or a big monorail redo. The ferries get refurbished every 3 years on rotation but it was always hell when one was out of service especially if there eas any issue with one of the remaining two.
I remember the days when they only ran one ferry boat in the middle of the day because attendance was low. I imagine those days are long gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom