News Gangway being prepped near to the Contemporary - second level access coming to the ferry boat?

flynnibus

Premium Member
The main and second decks are simultaneous so takes the same time.
The existing gangways already have to be lowered. So this is not different. This should still improve cycle times

Existing gangway is lowered in about 2 seconds by a CM already stationed at the front. It takes them longer to open the gates then it does to lower the main deck gangway.

Same can not be said of the upper gangway.

I guess the theory is the improved people movement off the platform vs the stairs should reduce the load/unload times. But this looks more expensive labor wise as you'd have another staff position up here now? I doubt the pilot/skip is going to come out to operate the gangway? Will it be operated by a CM on the platform vs one already on the boat like the current gangway?

Vegas Disney Fan

Existing gangway is lowered in about 2 seconds by a CM already stationed at the front. It takes them longer to open the gates then it does to lower the main deck gangway.

This is probably testing at a reduced speed, no reason the top gangway can’t open and close just as quickly as the lower one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is probably testing at a reduced speed, no reason the top gangway can’t open and close just as quickly as the lower one.

Except the fact the lower gangway moves like 2ft in one segment... and the upper gangway drops about 4ft and 3ft in two different sections. So yes, there is reason they don't move the same.

Vegas Disney Fan

Except the fact the lower gangway moves like 2ft in one segment... and the upper gangway drops about 4ft and 3ft in two different sections. So yes, there is reason they don't move the same.

Even if it takes 10 seconds for the top ramp instead of 2 seconds for the bottom ramp it will still allow them to load the boat in roughly half the time. The end result will be a massive time savings.

peter11435

I guess the theory is the improved people movement off the platform vs the stairs should reduce the load/unload times. But this looks more expensive labor wise as you'd have another staff position up here now? I doubt the pilot/skip is going to come out to operate the gangway? Will it be operated by a CM on the platform vs one already on the boat like the current gangway?
It doesn’t appear to take that much more time. And it’s irrelevant anyway because that doesn’t impact the overall amount of time that it will take between dispatches of the boat. But it will decrease the amount of time that it takes to fill the boat thus decreasing the amount of time between dispatches and it will increase the amount of guests that you can easily put on the boat.

Gillyanne

I haven't keep up on this. Does access to the 2nd level via gangway have a ramp? Could this help spread out strollers/wheelchairs/EVC from the first level?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Can we just make a ramp over the whole lagoon ? :)

“Introducing Disney Ramp+!! For only $49.99/person/trip, you can walk directly from the TTC to Magic Kingdom Park and back via our MAGICAL Ramp over Seven Seas Lagoon!! (Stopping for photos is an extra $99.99/person/trip)

I am curious to see what this does for ferry traffic, from embarkation to lining up for security.

freediverdude

My concern looking at it is there is no railing on the ferry around the area where the gangway will lower and connect with the ferry. So people will be walking off the gangway to the second level of the ferry with a small area there where there is no railing. And we know what idiots the general public are/people looking for a lawsuit. Maybe they're planning on a cast member standing right there by the edge.

lazyboy97o

My concern looking at it is there is no railing on the ferry around the area where the gangway will lower and connect with the ferry. So people will be walking off the gangway to the second level of the ferry with a small area there where there is no railing. And we know what idiots the general public are/people looking for a lawsuit. Maybe they're planning on a cast member standing right there by the edge.
The guard rails are on the gangway.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes

I used to work in MK watercraft and asked about this last week. The upper deck hand (who is also the second pilot) handles it.

montyz81

I am very disappointed in the theming of these docs. These look like docs look like the ones you used to board The Mount Washington on Lake Winnipesaukee.
Before anyone gets upset, I am just kidding around. They look perfectly fine and are a much-needed addition to faster service across the lake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom