Game of Thrones season 8 announced

LittleBuford

That sounds great, but it’s also that’s not what I said.

You said that lack of knowledge of the source material contributed to people’s adverse reaction to last week’s twist. Or did I misunderstand you?

ETA: I see you’ve since bolded “enjoyment”, so perhaps that’s the word you’re objecting to. I would say that the opposite of being upset at something is enjoying it.

And my second point is far more telling in a wider scope than just this thread as that point has been everywhere across the web this week

I wasn’t addressing your second point, but since you bring it up, I’ll note again that many people who never liked Dany are likewise dissatisfied with her character’s transformation.

Yes and I was one of them in this very thread.

I wouldn’t call any of us here commentators. I was referring to the multiple reviews and think pieces that have come out in response to the episode.

And a question: I’m guessing you haven’t read the books?

I’ve made that abundantly clear throughout the thread. The whole point of my previous post was that we show-only people shouldn’t have to look to the books for a backstory that the show itself has failed to adequately provide.

Last edited:

Willmark

ETA: I see you’ve since bolded “enjoyment”, so perhaps that’s the word you’re objecting to. I would say that the opposite of being upset at something is enjoying it.
Mainly.

You should know of all people on this site I rarely if ever tell people what to do and am strongly against people being forced to do something.

I wasn’t addressing your second point, but since you bring it up, I’d note again that many people who never liked Dany are likewise dissatisfied with her character’s transformation.
I don't see the like or dislike of her as particularly relevant per se.

I’ve made that abundantly clear throughout the thread.
I don't assume to know which is why I ask direct questions.

The whole point of my previous post was that we show-only people shouldn’t have to look to the books for a backstory that the show itself has failed to adequately provide.
And likewise those of us who know the back-story and material inside and out shouldn't be dismissed out of hand by the attempt to narrowly define a character ("only TV Daney is relevant for the discussion" [paraphrasing]) with a set of parameters that means its only open to one interpretation. Real or implied.

LittleBuford

And likewise those of us who know the back-story and material shouldn't be dismissed out of hand by the attempt to narrowly define a character ("only TV Daney is relevant for the discussion" [paraphrasing]) with a set of parameters that means its only open to one interpretation. Real or implied.

To quote you, “That sounds great, but it’s also not what I said.”

LittleBuford

Sure reads that way.

So much for asking questions rather than making assumptions.

I also wrote:

“Several commentators have noted that the groundwork for Dany’s descent into genocidal madness is more thoroughly laid out in the books, and while that’s great for those who’ve read them, the rest of us have only the TV portrayal to go on.”

There is no one correct interpretation of Dany, and those who’ve read the books are inevitably going to bring a different perspective. My point has never been that they’re wrong for doing so, but that we show-only people should be able to comprehend the character arcs solely on the basis of what we’re being presented onscreen. If knowledge of the books enriches one’s understanding of the show, great, but it shouldn’t be required to make sense of what otherwise comes across as a mystifying plot twist.

Willmark

If knowledge of the books enriches one’s understanding of the show, great, but it shouldn’t be required to make sense of what otherwise comes across as a mystifying plot twist.
And... were right back where we started several pages ago. You see it as mystifying (even if we're talking in the context of just the TV show) while I don't.

And so it goes.

LittleBuford

You see it as mystifying (even if we're talking in the context of just the TV show) while I don't.

Fair enough. A good number of people agree with you, and a good number agree with me. But there are enough of us in the mystified camp to suggest that the showrunners could have done a much better job of bringing us to this point.

Willmark

Fair enough. A good number of people agree with you, and a good number agree with me. But there are enough of us in the mystified camp to suggest that the showrunners could have done a much better job of bringing us to this point.
On this we agree, but for perhaps not the same reasons. One of those being the scope of the “reveal” but not enough to argue about further.

One of the links above talks about there was no way to anticipate 3rd wave feminism
and today’s political environment when he wrote these in the late 1990s. I think that is 100% spot on.

But enough on that.

Tonight’s episode.

1. I don’t see anyway for the show to wipe away Daenys actions in the last episode. And if they try? That would be the worst ending in the framework we have right now, ie the show.

2. Jon as King? Sorry I have to say this... if Jon was a female, 99% of the fans would have zero issue with that resolving in this manner. People were hooting and hollering across the entire planet when it was confirmed that R+L=J. Now? Yeah...

3. The one that makes the most sense logically is the return of the actual Seven Kingdoms. If Daeny is dead or without a dragon? The Targaryens gained the throne because they had dragons and no one else did. It could be argued that from the time when the last dragons died (about 150 years prior to the War of the Five Kings) it was simply status quo that kept them on the throne after the dragons had all perished.

LittleBuford

On this we agree, but for perhaps not the same reasons. One of those being the scope of the “reveal” but not enough to argue about further.

One of the links above talks about there was no way to anticipate 3rd wave feminism
and today’s political environment when he wrote these in the late 1990s. I think that is 100% spot on.

But enough on that.

Tonight’s episode.

1. I don’t see anyway for the show to wipe away Daenys actions in the last episode. And if they try? That would be the worst ending in the framework we have right now, ie the show.

2. Jon as King? Sorry I have to say this... if Jon was a female, 99% of the fans would have zero issue with that resolving in this manner. People were hooting and hollering across the entire planet when it was confirmed that R+L=J. Now? Yeah...

3. The one that makes the most sense logically is the return of the actual Seven Kingdoms. If Daeny is dead or without a dragon? The Targaryens gained the throne because they had dragons and no one else did. It could be argued that from the time when the last dragons died (about 150 years prior to the War of the Five Kings) it was simply status quo that kept them on the throne after the dragons had all perished.

There’s also the theory that Bran is secretly evil and behind everything:

It would be an absurd twist, but the fact that he’s the bookies’ favourite to sit on the Iron Throne does give me pause.

LittleBuford

Sorry I have to say this... if Jon was a female, 99% of the fans would have zero issue with that resolving in this manner.

I can’t speak for others, but I for one find Jon intolerably insipid, and I can’t imagine feeling any more inspired by a female version of the same character.

Willmark

i’m going to sign off this thread for awhile. working tonight, so i’ll catch it when i get home. enjoy the show tonight everyone!
I’d like to sign off on the entire thing, book and TV series.

Personally, I’ve been waiting since 1999. I’m a bit jaded waiting for George R.R. Martin that is...

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You guys do know the ending has been out there for months?

The Reddit Leaks have been 95% correct...which means the end is likely too.

If the ending happens as described - I think it’s a fitting end.

Don’t know if dan and Dave can direct...hopefully they didn’t go to the George Lucas school 😉

LittleBuford

So it seems Dany turned truly mad rather than maniacally evil, if that distinction makes sense. I guess I should be happy—she can’t be held (as) responsible if she’s lost control of her faculties. Still, I can’t say I feel satisfied with the ending, which felt like an ode to House Stark.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So it seems Dany turned truly mad rather than maniacally evil, if that distinction makes sense. I guess I should be happy—she can’t be held (as) responsible if she’s lost control of her faculties. Still, I can’t say I feel satisfied with the ending, which felt like an ode to House Stark.

I don’t think there’s any way it WASNT about the Starks all along...

Not the worst ending...though two years of shortcuts take the sheen off of what was a brilliant show for 4 years or so

Here’s hoping those two morons arent on the phone with Hayden Christiansen now 😳

Willmark

From the initial watch it struck me as very Sith like (right before her death).

Princess Leia

Well... that was an episode...

The finale for How I Met Your Mother still counts as the worst I’ve ever seen (and before people jump in- I have only watched one episode of Dexter, and it wasn’t the finale). This... well, it wasn’t great, but it wasn’t as bad as HIMYM. One of my friends even said ‘At least Firefly had a better ending.’

I’ll need to think about it for a bit. I’m just happy Jon pet his dang dog.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom