Game of Thrones season 8 announced

AEfx

When was the last time we saw Edmure Tully? I have been wondering what’s happening to that family for awhile now. With the Frey family in chaos, what are the Tullys doing? I have to imagine that if he managed to take back Riverrun, Edmure would have pledged loyalty to Jon, but Riverrun isn’t as far north as the Eyrie or the Twins.

Pretty sure we will see something with him this week in the last episode.
If I recall, the actor’s name was in a massive cast list HBO released at the beginning of the season.

Princess Leia

10D18D08-C8E0-4CE1-B7F5-D3B27CECADE4.jpeg

artvandelay

When was the last time we saw Edmure Tully? I have been wondering what’s happening to that family for awhile now. With the Frey family in chaos, what are the Tullys doing? I have to imagine that if he managed to take back Riverrun, Edmure would have pledged loyalty to Jon, but Riverrun isn’t as far north as the Eyrie or the Twins.
Didn’t Bronn say that Cersei promised him Riverrun if he killed her brothers?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
At the very least, maybe Disney will reconsider their Star Wars project

I’m wondering if Star Wars is completely toxic in the inner circles of Hollywood?

It seems ridiculous - I know - but what if it’s viewed as “no win” after 2 decades of gross mismanagement and they honestly can’t get anyone?

I think that is 100% the case with Kathy Kennedy and her Dian Johnson fantasy world

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As far as GOT goes...please...PLEASE use the last minutes wisely!!?

No 15 minutes of arya in a demo site or being chased by zombies...no 15 minutes of gratuitous dragon flight to satisfy the TMNT level fan attention?

Please don’t be stupid.

Last edited:

Willmark

this is a pretty decent think piece about Daenerys and the final season of the show.
Touches on a lot of reasons why people are upset who either didn’t know the source material or were rooting for her for real world reasons.

I’ll leave at that as this is not the politics sub forum.

Willmark

I’ve almost finished Fire and Blood. The Dance of Dragons has just finished and Aegon II has just expired and Aegon III has just become king at around 11.

Why is this is important? For those not in the know The Dance of Dragons (not to be confused with the book A Dance of Dragons) was civil war amongst the Targaryens which resulted in the deaths of most of the dragons through various means. Dragon fought dragon in the war, hence the name even though they served Targaryens on both sides. Interestingly in the Dance there were even bastards of Targaryen blood who rode some of the wild dragons on Dragonstone. Time and again Targaryen blood mattered no matter the percentage. I point this out because in the books in different occasions men are savaged by a dragon attempting to mount riderless dragons who do not have Targaryen blood.

I say this because I wonder what Drogon is going to do in the impending “civil war” between Dany and Jon.

This may not even be an issue, just a thought.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

It’s finally finale day. And honestly, I don’t know how to feel. Sad, because GRRM hasn’t finished Winds of Winter yet and I want to read it. Mad, because the showrunners rushed to this point for no reason. Relieved, because that means our suffering through this season will be over.

Pre-finale thoughts (not going to get into things I’ve already discussed):
  • Lena Headley gave her all for very little to do most of the season. She was only in 3 episodes, and outside of dying, her biggest moment was giving the execution order of Missandei
  • Except for Sansa’s comment about feeding everyone, and Arya escaping death among them, this season has not had much to do with regular (non-highborn) people.
  • After the battle of Winterfell, Tormund took the Wildlings back up North, which makes no sense, because it’s still winter. It’s colder up there than in Winterfell
  • Also, I don’t know why there are theories of Jon abdicating (after Dany’s inevitable demise) to go rebuild the Wall. With peace made between the North and the Wildlings, and the White Walkers wiped out, there’s no longer need of a wall
  • The Greyjoy plot subverted expectations. Theon rescued Yara in the first episode (Euron wasn’t even on the ship), and returned to Winterfell to fight for the living (and die). Euron seemed to not care that Yara took back the Iron Islands (offscreen) and survived until episode 5.
  • Golden Company was built up as something important, though they were an easy kill in the end
  • Episode 2 is the clear standout episode this season

Willmark

It’s finally finale day. And honestly, I don’t know how to feel. Sad, because GRRM hasn’t finished Winds of Winter yet and I want to read it. Mad, because the showrunners rushed to this point for no reason. Relieved, because that means our suffering through this season will be over.

Pre-finale thoughts (not going to get into things I’ve already discussed):
  • Lena Headley gave her all for very little to do most of the season. She was only in 3 episodes, and outside of dying, her biggest moment was giving the execution order of Missandei
  • Except for Sansa’s comment about feeding everyone, and Arya escaping death among them, this season has not had much to do with regular (non-highborn) people.
  • After the battle of Winterfell, Tormund took the Wildlings back up North, which makes no sense, because it’s still winter. It’s colder up there than in Winterfell
  • Also, I don’t know why there are theories of Jon abdicating (after Dany’s inevitable demise) to go rebuild the Wall. With peace made between the North and the Wildlings, and the White Walkers wiped out, there’s no longer need of a wall
  • The Greyjoy plot subverted expectations. Theon rescued Yara in the first episode (Euron wasn’t even on the ship), and returned to Winterfell to fight for the living (and die). Euron seemed to not care that Yara took back the Iron Islands (offscreen) and survived until episode 5.
  • Golden Company was built up as something important, though they were an easy kill in the end
  • Episode 2 is the clear standout episode this season
All very good points.

If they have some sort of contrived ending where Daeny ends up on the Iron Throne I might roll my eyes so hard they might pop out of their sockets.

As I noted up thread I’m not on anyone’s team (I find that whole notion absurd). I do want to see some finality even if it’s Jon and Daeny dying.

All the theories of Sansa on the web sound very much like Bella in Twilight wish fulfillment 🤮 YMMV.

I think the most reasonable is that they revert to Seven Kingdoms again (technically there are more than 7) but you get the idea.

I’m also very interested to see what Tyrion did as he turned in The Spider to the Mad Queen when Varys was 100% correct in his analysis of her.

To bad he wasn’t listened to and he paid for it with his life. Lends credence to the saying in our world “surest way to get into trouble is to be right and the wrong time.”

flynnibus

Premium Member

Wildlings don’t like the law of the people of the south. Getting away from that is a motivation. The winter is what they are used to... that’s no different for them. The difference is now the winter should have an end... instead of the endless night.

Re wall. Trust is not exactly secured with a win.

Re yuron . Ego manic knows he has the strength of the iron fleet and the iron islands can easily be retaken at will. No need to derail his ambitions to be king for something he can clean up after the fact.

Golden company didn’t have their elephants.. and never got a chance to fight traditional army in westeros... they mainly get wiped out by the dragon... same as the great Lannister army did in the last fight.

LittleBuford

Touches on a lot of reasons why people are upset who either didn’t know the source material or were rooting for her for real world reasons.

Knowledge of the source material shouldn’t be relevant to one’s enjoyment or understanding of the show. Several commentators have noted that the groundwork for Dany’s descent into genocidal madness is more thoroughly laid out in the books, and while that’s great for those who’ve read them, the rest of us have only the TV portrayal to go on.

Willmark

Knowledge of the source material shouldn’t be relevant to one’s enjoyment or understanding of the show.
That sounds great, but it’s also that’s not what I said. And my second point is far more telling in a wider scope than just this thread as that point has been everywhere across the web this week

Several commentators have noted that the groundwork for Dany’s descent into genocidal madness is more thoroughly laid out in the books
Yes and I was one of them in this very thread.

And a question: I’m guessing you haven’t read the books?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom