Gambling on a June Trip??

disneydaughter96

New Member
Original Poster
Morning everyone,

As confusing of a time that it is, I wanted some different perspectives on trip planning in the midst of possible WDW reopening in June. We have a trip planned for June 13-20, I'm all over the place on whether or not it's going to happen.

What I'm interested in hearing is your input on whether or not it's a good idea to keep the trip or push it back. What are the odds that Disney pushes back their reopening date, as well as if it's even a good idea to go if they do reopen? I'm all for keeping safe and healthy, so wouldn't this be a breeding ground for the virus? Or do you think it's manageable to still go and be safe?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a mid June trip planned, so if there are any other forum threads I missed, please feel free to post the link :)

Thanks!
 

MissViv

Well-Known Member
Advertisement
I, myself, would not go in June. I have a trip planned for last week in October and worried about that one.

Not sure what state you are from but I think that Disney will first only open to FL residents, probably for the month of June, and see how that goes before they will open to other states. FL does not want people from other states flocking there since the virus is still really active in FL.

The governor is supposed to make some type of announcement today about slowly opening up FL. I would keep a look out for that.
 

Shouldigo12

Well-Known Member
Personally I wouldn't go. Even just ignoring the safety aspect (which in my opinion is a big aspect to ignore) there's the issue of what Disney will look like when it reopens. What restaurants will be open, what rides, what shows, and so on. Maybe they'll reopen with all the experiences still available, but I wouldn't want to make a bunch of plans and then find out a few weeks before I leave that I won't be able to do half of them.
 

csmat99

Well-Known Member
Morning everyone,

As confusing of a time that it is, I wanted some different perspectives on trip planning in the midst of possible WDW reopening in June. We have a trip planned for June 13-20, I'm all over the place on whether or not it's going to happen.

What I'm interested in hearing is your input on whether or not it's a good idea to keep the trip or push it back. What are the odds that Disney pushes back their reopening date, as well as if it's even a good idea to go if they do reopen? I'm all for keeping safe and healthy, so wouldn't this be a breeding ground for the virus? Or do you think it's manageable to still go and be safe?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with a mid June trip planned, so if there are any other forum threads I missed, please feel free to post the link :)

Thanks!
I would push it back for many reasons. As others have said I'm 90% confident Disney will only open to FLA residents at first. Then there is the issue what experience will you truly have. They say phase one will be 50% of capacity but what is that number? 50k? 25k 15? If it's anywhere between 20-50 you are looking at miserable experience because of the social distancing rules they will be putting in place. You will be lucky to go on 3-4 rides per day. Also no parades, any indoor shows will be closed, no meet and greets. Basically you will be paying just to walk around the park in a mask. Not my idea of fun.
 

markc

Active Member
Unless you're a local who can go to the parks a lot, there's absolutely no reason to even think about travelling to the parks in June. Even if they do reopen, in a modified way, the experience is going to be 1/3 of what it usually is and you won't be getting any value for your money. Best bet is to hold off until late August or later to see how things progress.
 

skyphotographer

Well-Known Member
I'm waiting for next year before I return. Granted, I'm not afraid of getting the virus but if I'm going to pay premium money for a vacation I want to have a premium experience. I don't want to smell disinfectant everywhere nor do I want to see workers or vacationers wearing masks. Disney should be a break from reality, not a constant reminder.
 

StarshipDisney

Well-Known Member
We have reservations for September and even that far out I feel we are in the same boat. My wife has COPD so we want to stay well away from getting infected. If things are not much, much better by August, then we will cancel our September trip and see how things are in 2021.

Getting back to your question, at this point I myself would cancel a June 2020 trip. It will likely not get that much better that quick. I do not think it will be safe. I also question if Disney will be "back up to speed" that quick. I don't want to pay that kind of money for a "diminished" Disney vacation.
 

thomas998

Well-Known Member
We have reservations for September and even that far out I feel we are in the same boat. My wife has COPD so we want to stay well away from getting infected. If things are not much, much better by August, then we will cancel our September trip and see how things are in 2021.

Getting back to your question, at this point I myself would cancel a June 2020 trip. It will likely not get that much better that quick. I do not think it will be safe. I also question if Disney will be "back up to speed" that quick. I don't want to pay that kind of money for a "diminished" Disney vacation.
If you are concerned for your wife because of a medical condition you should just cancel the trip right now and wait until there is a vaccine or cure. The odds of either of those things being available be September are about the same as Disney letting everyone in for free. Not to mention the fact that even if Disney were to provide guests for personal bio-hazard suits you would still be putting your wife at a very high risk of infection in the airport portion of your trip. Frankly the airports are probably going to be a bigger problem for the world than amusement parks or movie theaters.
 

Shouldigo12

Well-Known Member
If you are concerned for your wife because of a medical condition you should just cancel the trip right now and wait until there is a vaccine or cure. The odds of either of those things being available be September are about the same as Disney letting everyone in for free. Not to mention the fact that even if Disney were to provide guests for personal bio-hazard suits you would still be putting your wife at a very high risk of infection in the airport portion of your trip. Frankly the airports are probably going to be a bigger problem for the world than amusement parks or movie theaters.
I have to agree. I know it sucks to have to cancel a trip you were looking forward without any clue as to how long it'll be when you can take it (trust me, I was also planning on going somewhere here soon but since both myself and the other person are high risk, that's not happening), but if there's a significant health risk September won't be a good time. Personally I don't plan on going anywhere until we either have a vaccine or a highly effective treatment approved for use in all cases of the virus (so not just emergency use). And more likely than not, we won't have that come September.
 

StarshipDisney

Well-Known Member
If you are concerned for your wife because of a medical condition you should just cancel the trip right now and wait until there is a vaccine or cure. The odds of either of those things being available be September are about the same as Disney letting everyone in for free. Not to mention the fact that even if Disney were to provide guests for personal bio-hazard suits you would still be putting your wife at a very high risk of infection in the airport portion of your trip. Frankly the airports are probably going to be a bigger problem for the world than amusement parks or movie theaters.
I have to agree. I know it sucks to have to cancel a trip you were looking forward without any clue as to how long it'll be when you can take it (trust me, I was also planning on going somewhere here soon but since both myself and the other person are high risk, that's not happening), but if there's a significant health risk September won't be a good time. Personally I don't plan on going anywhere until we either have a vaccine or a highly effective treatment approved for use in all cases of the virus (so not just emergency use). And more likely than not, we won't have that come September.
Wow. I did not mean to hijack the thread...but thanks for caring.

Concur. I agree that I will very likely cancel the trip. But I won't do so until the last minute. Guess I just like hanging on to the reservation and hoping for a miracle.

Fortunately, we only live 2 states away so I would never even consider flying. Before retirement my career had me flying around the world multiple times and I hope to never get on another airplane or visit an airport. So that much is not a concern for us.

Hopefully things will get better and I can plan for 2021. Take care everyone.
 

ThisisnotDetroit

New Member
My mother and I have a trip planned for late June. For now, we are planning on going, unless Disney cancels the reservation. We would be fine with a diminished park experience, as we have been many times. We would even be happy just hanging out at our hotel and walking the grounds, eating some food - maybe dropping by Disney Springs. With the possibility that our reservation will be canceled, we booked a second trip the last week of July. We are aware that the July trip may also be canceled, but a summer trip is our only possibility for travel this year, and we purchased the non-refundable military tickets for 2020. We are enjoying Disney planning during quarantine, as it gives us something positive to look forward to. And, yes, if the June trip is not canceled, we are going to do both trips. :p
 

Carp

New Member
In the slow phases they are implementing nationwide, personally I would push back your trip if you can. I have friends that work for Disney and I try to inquire to any company info they are receiving and it just not realistic that Disney attractions and food establishments will be fully open by June. As many have commented, it's probably not worth all that money you're spending to only get bits and pieces of the Disney experience. This is a great time to push things back as Disney, airlines, hotels, etc are offering many flexible options to push back any plans without penalties. My family had to reschedule plans they originally had for end of May/beginning of June and have plans to coming in Sept, but even that timeframe still has us a bit weary about covid19 and the full Disney experience. However, we are gonna wait to see what all transpires over the summer months to see how everything is being handled. I hear gov't is waiting to see how things pan out with this Phase 1 opening before making next step decisions. Maybe there'll be more info for you by next week for you to make your decision.
 

Genie_naughty_whispers

Well-Known Member
Odds are high the push opening past June. But don’t cancel right away. We had a trip a few weeks ago and waited about 4 days before just in case something changes. Canceling now is too much lead time.
 

Hcalvert

Well-Known Member
I'm cancelling my June 4-18 trip today. My husband and I decided to just rebook next June, renew our APs, and hope for the best for our July trip about 2 months away.
 

Carp

New Member
I'm cancelling my June 4-18 trip today. My husband and I decided to just rebook next June, renew our APs, and hope for the best for our July trip about 2 months away.
They say they are aiming to open in July. They are now taking reservations for July.
 

Hcalvert

Well-Known Member
They say they are aiming to open in July. They are now taking reservations for July.
I already had a reservation for July due to a cancellation in March, so hopefully that is true. I just had another reservation in June that I paid for in July 2019 that I was referring to in the previous post.
 
Top Bottom