Galaxy's Edge timeline is history

Casper Gutman

This is, of course, a good thing. Disney’s obsession with keeping SWL at one particular moment was an act of ego (gotta focus on the films Disney made) and unnecessary rigidity. The odd obsession with canon was particularly egregious after GotG CR debuted and proved so far outside of MCU canon that the storyline of the six-minute ride would have completely invalidated the masterfully executed, emotionally resonant plot arc they created over 20 major cinematic releases.

Keeping timelines a bit distinct makes sense to me - keep Darth Vader on one side of the land and Kylo Ren on the other. This would have been a sensible way to build the land in the first place, with one end in the prequels, the middle in the OT, and the other end in the sequels.

Now, they just need to retheme RotR to the OT (and this is coming from someone who liked two of the three sequels). Darth is endlessly cooler then Kylo.

mysto

Finally Leia and Mando can have their love child. It was silly for Disney to try and stand in the way of the force, no one can stop it.

erasure fan1

It really is a bit baffling how story consistency is draconian here and then totally obliterated elsewhere in the parks and resorts.
Yup. They'll just throw things wherever they have space because it's the cheapest and easiest way. They haven't cared about consistent theming for a long time. But Mando can't visit galaxys edge because it wouldn't fit the story? Or Darth Vader can't visit black spire because it's out of the time line? It was, in my opinion, the worst decision from a theme standpoint they have ever made in the parks.

FigmentJedi

This is, of course, a good thing. Disney’s obsession with keeping SWL at one particular moment was an act of ego (gotta focus on the films Disney made) and unnecessary rigidity. The odd obsession with canon was particularly egregious after GotG CR debuted and proved so far outside of MCU canon that the storyline of the six-minute ride would have completely invalidated the masterfully executed, emotionally resonant plot arc they created over 20 major cinematic releases.
Imagineering's been clear ever since Mission Breakout that their theme park Marvel Universe is a "Snap Never Happened Good End" timeline and used the multiverse as an excuse to do whatever the hell they want in the Campuses.

MagicHappens1971

The odd obsession with canon was particularly egregious after GotG CR debuted and proved so far outside of MCU canon that the storyline of the six-minute ride would have completely invalidated the masterfully executed, emotionally resonant plot arc they created over 20 major cinematic releases.
I don’t know how many times this has been said, no marvel theme park attraction is intended to or does exist within the MCU. It was a choice made when they started building the Marvel attractions.

Casper Gutman

I don’t know how many times this has been said, no marvel theme park attraction is intended to or does exist within the MCU. It was a choice made when they started building the Marvel attractions.
I fully understand that. It is nonetheless funny that they embraced that so completely that they picked a plotline for a six minute ride that undermines the entire, massive MCU. It would be like Darth Vader appearing in Star Tours and announcing, "Hey, just so you all know, it turns out Luke Skywalker ISN'T my son. No relation at all. Big paperwork error. Anyway..." And it's even funnier in the context of how rigid Disney has been up until now about SWL's place in canon.

sWANNISAX

I could see starcruiser having other timeline adventures at some point. It would create repeated visits after the initial novelty if you could do a prequel, original trilogy or mando era themed trip
Love that idea. Thought they might find their bookings pushing them towards one version and others being less booked.

The Great Gonzo

I wish they would just get rid of the timeline stuff. It makes no sense because there seems to be different rules for each version. How is Mando aloud in DL, but not Hollywood Studios?

MagicHappens1971

I wish they would just get rid of the timeline stuff. It makes no sense because there seems to be different rules for each version. How is Mando aloud in DL, but not Hollywood Studios?
Disneyland wants to step away from the timeline a bit obviously, and I guess someone from DPEP/Lucasfilm/WDI has approved it. WDW may have the same desires but can not veer from the timeline due to the timeline of the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom