Galaxy's Edge timeline is history

The Empress Lilly

Yup. They'll just throw things wherever they have space because it's the cheapest and easiest way. They haven't cared about consistent theming for a long time. But Mando can't visit galaxys edge because it wouldn't fit the story? Or Darth Vader can't visit black spire because it's out of the time line? It was, in my opinion, the worst decision from a theme standpoint they have ever made in the parks.
Restricting indeed. Then again, I do appreciate GE's strict theming. I just think they picked the wrong theming. A place and a time nobody is really invested in.

As a point of self-criticism, GE perhaps should humble all of us Disney aficionados a) clamouring for rigid thematic consistency, and b) insisting that the subject of the theme chosen is irrelevant, and that only execution matters...

erasure fan1

Restricting indeed. Then again, I do appreciate GE's strict theming. I just think they picked the wrong theming. A place and a time nobody is really invested in.
I appreciate galaxys edge from a theming standpoint and don't mind that it's a place we haven't seen. The biggest issue is the locked time period. That needs to change asap. Would it have been a smart idea to include black spire in your movies? Of course it would. That way people would have at least a bit of a connection with it. Is it Hoth, Tatooine, the forest moon...? No, but that's ok. If they unlock the timeframe, add in a D ticket scope ride along with a smaller dark ride you'll have a great land.

RSoxNo1

When Disney (or anyone) creates a themed area, any addition to that area runs the risk of diluting the original theme. By adding a timeline component to this theme, they've further handcuffed themselves.

SpectreJordan

Keeping timelines a bit distinct makes sense to me - keep Darth Vader on one side of the land and Kylo Ren on the other. This would have been a sensible way to build the land in the first place, with one end in the prequels, the middle in the OT, and the other end in the sequels.

Bingo. I'd probably just retheme Smuggler's Run to the OT though, I feel that'd be the easiest option. Taking out ROTR for however long it'd take to retheme it to the OT would be horrendous for HS.

It'd probably take a long time too; the Empire & First Order may seem similar, but the designs of their interiors & everything are pretty different. It'd be an extensive retheme.

RSoxNo1

Bingo. I'd probably just retheme Smuggler's Run to the OT though, I feel that'd be the easiest option. Taking out ROTR for however long it'd take to retheme it to the OT would be horrendous for HS.

It'd probably take a long time too; the Empire & First Order may seem similar, but the designs of their interiors & everything are pretty different. It'd be an extensive retheme.
What's there is kind of in the Solo timeframe already anyways, right? It's vague enough where simply adding another mission would help further eliminate the timeline.

SpectreJordan

What's there is kind of in the Solo timeframe already anyways, right? It's vague enough where simply adding another mission would help further eliminate the timeline.
Yeah, you would just have to re-record some lines about the Resistance. Replace some of the First Order stuff in the ride would be easy since it's all CG.

It'd be cool if they replaced Hondo with Han in this scenario. But Hondo is cool & would still work lore wise (Smuggler's Run was the first time we learn he's alive during the sequels AFAIK)/

_caleb

The timeline is almost as dumb of an idea as creating a new planet for the theme park. :banghead:
If it was supposed to be a familiar location, everyone would say, "The Tatooine in the parks is nothing like how it is in the films!"
Same with the Starcruiser. If it was an existing/familiar ship, many would surely say, "That's not film-accurate!"

They took to the opportunity to expand the universe and free themselves up from that sort of nonsense.

MagicHappens1971

If it was supposed to be a familiar location, everyone would say, "The Tatooine in the parks is nothing like how it is in the films!"
Same with the Starcruiser. If it was an existing/familiar ship, many would surely say, "That's not film-accurate!"

They took to the opportunity to expand the universe and free themselves up from that sort of nonsense.
Nobody says that about Diagon Alley or Hogsmede though, if you build an amazing experience, you'll have the minority that yes does complain about those things, but not the majority. They built the Millenium Falcon on Batuu, and I'd say its pretty close to what we've seen in the films.

SpectreJordan

The timeline is almost as dumb of an idea as creating a new planet for the theme park. :banghead:
I really like that idea tbh. I think Batuu feels close enough to what we see in the movies anyway; the marketplace feels like the markets on Mos Espa in Phantom Menace, the queue for Rise feels like a rocky version of Hoth's Rebel base, etc...

The main thing they need to do is finally add roaming aliens & droids. It's ridiculous that's not there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom