GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainessKylie

Are all of the rides wheelchair accessible? NO. Do people who are wheelchair bound have to wait longer on some rides? YES. Disney is discriminating against those with physically disabilities because of this and then they rub our noses in it by giving the cry baby autistic people a pass.

Please think about your children, before you ruin them with your terrible views of disability.

My brother was bullied for being disabled and you sound like the kind of person that would do the same. I only hope your children don't get stress related disorders like OCD through their teens etc, you'll only disown them or call them cry babies because they aren't in a wheelchair right?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Wow guys, this went from a discussion of disability program into a full blatant "im better than you" argument with a direct fight between members.

Goofyernmost

Wow guys, this went from a discussion of disability program into a full blatant "im better than you" argument with a direct fight between members.
Which explained why Disney has had to make the distinction of what is needed as opposed to what is wanted. Usually they are two completely different things. It got to the point where everything that was wanted was what was needed. It cannot work that way. That is why there is a triage process in hospitals, not everything has an equal priority. If a person can't stand they will find them a place to sit (ironically usually it's a wheelchair). They will be taken care of by order of need, not want.

Gomer

Happens every few weeks in this thread. People come by, see people discussing topics in a manner too civil for their tastes. So, they stir the pot with outlandish accusations and name calling to see who they can bait into a fight.

It happened last week and lost a page and a half of posts.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Info on new Disabled Assistance System from Micechat

To summarize:

October 9, 2013 is the start of the new guest assistance program, which will replace GAC

Guests will go to Guest Services to get a card (with photo ID) and then go to kiosks elsewhere in the park to make ride reservations

Like a Fastpass return time, less 10 or 15 min, the reservations allow you to not wait in line, but you will not be able to get more than one at once. You can get other types of Fastpasses during this time though.

People may not qualify for the program if they are in wheelchairs at DCA (and maybe AK and DHS, since all have accessible queues?)

Thanks for the summary! Seems straightforward. I'm sure there is no way that this will lead to pages and pages of judgmental arguing.

CaptainessKylie

Thanks for the summary! Seems straightforward. I'm sure there is no way that this will lead to pages and pages of judgmental arguing.

Except, you don't go to kiosks you go to each inidividual ride to get a return time. :)

An argument we heard for this side was when a child is taken to a ride to get a time its not fair to tell them they have to come back if they already dont understand that. so simple soloution if theres at least 2 non-disabled in the party; let one person distract while the other person goes to get the time, it requires some planning but all in all it is not any different to how people used to go get fastpasses. In fact with the waiting outside the line you are opened up to a chance to enjoy Disney with things you would usually skip, enjoy the details in the fabric etc etc

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I get that parents of disabled kids are passionate, but this thread has been volatile and combative since page one.
I'm really not sure what else needs to be said that hasn't been said a thousand times already.

I said all I had to say about this topic in Post #40 on page 2.
All I will add is that I thank God every day for the health and well-being of my boys (despite Son #2 being critical at birth). My sympathies to those whose kids aren't 100% healthy.

And now, can we all just be nice? If not nice, civil?

TP2000

Except, you don't go to kiosks you go to each inidividual ride to get a return time. :)

In Anaheim they have the kiosks; a half dozen or so set up in each of the two parks. And the kiosks can give you a return time for any ride in the resort, at either park. So you could go to the kiosk in Tomorrowland and get a DAS time for Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land next door, or go to the kiosk in Paradise Pier and get a DAS time for Haunted Mansion in Disneyland next door, etc.

This would seem to eliminate the problem with autistic kids going up to the ride entrance and then having to wait an hour to go back to go on the ride they already saw.

CaptainessKylie

In Anaheim they have the kiosks; a half dozen or so set up in each of the two parks. And the kiosks can give you a return time for any ride in the resort, at either park. So you could go to the kiosk in Tomorrowland and get a DAS time for Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land next door, or go to the kiosk in Paradise Pier and get a DAS time for Haunted Mansion in Disneyland next door, etc.

This would seem to eliminate the problem with autistic kids going up to the ride entrance and then having to wait an hour to go back to go on the ride they already saw.

That sounds perfect and very helpful; and not just children with autism but anyone that has a difficulty with that kind of understanding.

All Disney need to do is realize that someone with a disability does not equal someone with autism but all kinds and we are good to go with a system that will work well.

StarWarsGirl

The thing is that someone else from the group can usually go up to the entrance of the ride and get the time for the guest. Unless there is only one accompanying adult. Regardless, I like the kiosk idea. It seems like it would work well in Disneyland. :)

CaptainessKylie

I get that parents of disabled kids are passionate, but this thread has been volatile and combative since page one.
I'm really not sure what else needs to be said that hasn't been said a thousand times already.

I said all I had to say about this topic in Post #40 on page 2.
All I will add is that I thank God every day for the health and well-being of my boys (despite Son #2 being critical at birth). My sympathies to those whose kids aren't 100% healthy.

And now, can we all just be nice? If not nice, civil?

Not even just the parents but family members as well. We see the struggles every day, but also the acomplishments. And you have a great outlook on life to be grateful but also to realize that your situation isnt the same as everyones, I wish everyone was as compassionate.

I will always be an advocate for all disabilities having grown up with a sibling with CP, I will be a voice for the people that stuggle to have that voice and it really saddens me that someone would come on here saying that children with autism dont deserve any thing. I had to report his posts the other day and now he's doing it again, the reporting doesn't work, step 2 is to try to enlighten him.

StarWarsGirl

This kowtowing by Disney to the autistic, who have no physical disabilities, is an insult to those who are truly disabled and need the help of the pass in order to have a reasonable equivalent Disney experience.
I agree with most of what you said there, just one question: Are you saying that children with autism don't deserve the pass, or that the treatment towards children with other disabilities should be the same as children with autism?

Also, for the record, some children with autism have physical ailments. Not as severe as CP, but a lot of them have intolerances to the heat, gastrointestinal issues, sensitivity to touch, etc. Just for the record :)

Last edited:
I had to report his posts the other day and now he's doing it again, the reporting doesn't work, step 2 is to try to enlighten him.

Why are you trying to get me banned? Because I am right about how this type of pass was originally intended for those with physical disabilities and it has been hijacked by those with a mental disability that was unheard of 10 years ago? The nuns at my Catholic elementary school would roll over in their graves if they knew how society grovels at autism's beckon call.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Why are you trying to get me banned? Because I am right about how this type of pass was originally intended for those with physical disabilities and it has been hijacked by those with a mental disability that was unheard of 10 years ago? The nuns at my Catholic elementary school would roll over in their graves if they knew how society grovels at autism's beckon call.
Probably not, but I'm enjoying the magnificent hyperbole.....

minninedaisy74

Please think about your children, before you ruin them with your terrible views of disability.

My brother was bullied for being disabled and you sound like the kind of person that would do the same. I only hope your children don't get stress related disorders like OCD through their teens etc, you'll only disown them or call them cry babies because they aren't in a wheelchair right?
Dramatic much?? While his comments were a little off putting basically calling him a bad parent is just as bad. I am sure just like you he didn't mean to be so insulting to others.

StarWarsGirl

You have clearly never dealt with a child with autism.

And the reason that it has become more recently exposed is because the definition of autism has been expanded to include an umbrella of mental disabilities that are related to one another. Previously, it would have been childhood disintegrative disorder or pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified. Now it's Autism spectrum disorder. And yes, it's very real.

Until you deal with a child with autism, please do not presume things about it that are false. I agree that those with other disabilities should receive the pass, but it's quite ignorant to say that autism is not an issue or that the lives of children with autism and their parents aren't difficult when they in fact are.

I am n
You have clearly never dealt with a child with autism.

And the reason that it has become more recently exposed is because the definition of autism has been expanded to include an umbrella of mental disabilities that are related to one another. Previously, it would have been childhood disintegrative disorder or pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified. Now it's Autism spectrum disorder. And yes, it's very real.

Until you deal with a child with autism, please do not presume things about it that are false. I agree that those with other disabilities should receive the pass, but it's quite ignorant to say that autism is not an issue or that the lives of children with autism and their parents aren't difficult when they in fact are.

I am not saying that some types of autism are not real or severe but most types are nothing more than a behavioral issue which is compounded by Disney's approach. Most of these kids could be trained to behave by a Catholic Nun with a ruler.

minninedaisy74

I am n

I am not saying that some types of autism are not real or severe but most types are nothing more than a behavioral issue which is compounded by Disney's approach. Most of these kids could be trained to behave by a Catholic Nun with a ruler.
I am invisoning Sister Jude from American Horror with a room full of defenseless children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom