GAC to Become DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I for one am curious about the actual implementation and enforcement. Boiled down to its basic components its all about the allocation of resources either equally or disproportionately. Each ride or experience has a hard limit of number of riders per hour. Disney had two mechanisms to allocate that ridership number to its guests, the standby queue and the fast pass. There was an observed ratio where a certain number of standby patrons were blended into the rider stream. GAC provided a mechanism to allocate an additional percentage in addition to the allocated fastpass patrons to the detriment of the standby patrons.

This seems to address this imbalance better, but not perfect. Customers pay exactly the same price for the access to the same resources, that's fair.

jaklgreen

I think Disney will cave, just like they did with GAC. It did not start out with all of those benefits but they give the guest what ever they want to make them happy. I don't think any system will work as long as there are people who feel that they should get the FOTL pass. As a person who works with the public, it is a disgrace how so many people treat others so badly. People will cut in line, steal, and lie on a daily basis.

JerseyDad

Their title, not mine. ;)

Disney Stops Instant Rides for the Disabled

So it has come to this. I guess the abuse of the system won in the end.

Typical semi-accurate CNN report .....all from one side of the aisle.

There should be a "60 Minutes" or "20/20" (or similar) full length report done on this if the media feels that the story is newsworthy. If so ...then do it right and don't just gloss over the self-serving teaser points that will be leaving viewers more confused than before they saw the report.

According to that report, the problem is all about, "some ethically challenged ....able bodied people abusing the policy" .....well, okay? And...is THAT all?

The parent is concerned that their vacation, "won't go as planned". Well? What was your plan?

Then she says, "....Disney is just saying, we'll accommodate you ...talk to us when you get here ...trust us...(but)..."I can't plan for that". Why not? I don't see where the problem exists?

In the report ...in what little info that is provided, it states, "..disabled guests will get a return time to the attraction...". That's pretty clear ...but is that it?

...in slight contrast, the piece on the Today Show this morning was slightly more informative ...though, really only a follow-up blurb to the original report to allow them to put a little gold star on their collar to say, "Look what we reported on a while back".

....99% of the time ....I truly despise the news-media ...all just a bunch of talking heads looking for their next 15 minutes of air-time.

Pixie VaVoom

...all just a bunch of talking heads looking for their next 15 minutes of air-time.

I agree with you. i have gotten to where I believe that EVERYONE has an AGENDA. And as long as commercial ads are sold - there is NOTHING reported that is unbiased. It is only a matter of How Much bias and to which SIDE !! : (

Mark In KY

When reports of abuse reached the national media you had to expect that there would be changes to the GAC system. Disney has spent years being proactive to the disabled/handicapped, whatever the current PC term is. Now they are being reactive in response to the reports of GAC abuse. If any of you ever abused the GAC system in any manner, you only have yourselves to blame.

JerseyDad

I think Disney will cave, just like they did with GAC. It did not start out with all of those benefits but they give the guest what ever they want to make them happy. I don't think any system will work as long as there are people who feel that they should get the FOTL pass. As a person who works with the public, it is a disgrace how so many people treat others so badly. People will cut in line, steal, and lie on a daily basis.

...maybe ...maybe not?

...I say that for a few reasons. Disney (in some circles) says that this has been in the works for a few years. Some circles in Disney ...and some outside also say that it's been a accelerated due to the investigative report that exposed the blatant problems.

....okay ...so it's been in the works for a few years ...I'll give 'em that one. But, so has the MagicBand, FP+ and My Magic+, My Disney Experience app's and system....etc. All of which reportedly carry a $1 Billion dollar price tag.

....as much as they want to make guests happy ...they also want to make Wall Street and the shareholders happy. That was made evident in the transcript of the Walt Disney Co. corporate earnings conference call transcript in which CFO Jay Rasulo makes a statement as follows:

Disney CFO Jay Rasulo:

"We have known for a really long time that getting our visitors to Walt Disney World to make decisions about where they spend their time before they leave home is a powerful driver of visits per guest. When they get into the Orlando market and their time isn’t yet planned, they can be subject to everything you see down there, which is a lot of in-city marketing for all the many products that people have put there to basically bleed off the feed that we fundamentally motivate. So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet. So that’s one thing for you guys to think about.

And the second thing is, what happens to purchases when they become much more convenient and you don’t spend time queuing up for a transaction, queuing up to get in the park and you actually have more time to enjoy the entertainment and subsequently spend more money doing things other than standing in line which, of course, you can’t spend any money while you’re doing that".

....it's clear that the whole system that they devised is about 'people management' ....to have people as a captive audience ...and not always standing on lines so that they can open their wallets during the time between attractions.

....if the new DAS / GAC or whatever they call it breaks down ....doesn't work as planned ....they lost a $1 billion investment, because the system as a "whole" will not work as envisioned ....and that can never be allowed to happen. Believe me ...if the DAS system is actually rolled out and operated as planned ...and someone that holds that DAS pass needs to wait between entrance times to attractions ....do you think that Disney doesn't hope that they too will spend during that lull? I think that it's an integral part of their plans. They care not one bit how able bodied a 'guest' is if there is a dollar in their pocket that they can have end up in their coffers. The excerpt from the transcript seems to verify that. I feel that they are going to make this system work ...come he!! or high water.

fosse76

It's an entitlement mentality. People think they can do whatever they want wherever and whenever they want. Just last night at Matilda on Broadway, a woman in the front row of the balcony decided that despite the usher telling her that she could not use her phone during the performance, she constantly ignored her and rudely refused. She was not only disrupting those around her, but she was also disrupting those behind her who could see the light from her phone (in a darkened theater). And contrary to what many people may think, actors can see pretty much everything that goes on in the house and can also get distracted (which can be dangerous). However, unlike Disney, security finally had enough and confiscated the phone (she was given a choice: hand over the phone or leave the theater).

Whether or not this new DAS system will really work to reduce the amount of abuse really rests on whether Disney will back-up frontline CMs who enforce the policy, and whether or not frontline CMs themselves enforce the policy.

RSoxNo1

...maybe ...maybe not?

...I say that for a few reasons. Disney (in some circles) says that this has been in the works for a few years. Some circles in Disney ...and some outside also say that it's been a accelerated due to the investigative report that exposed the blatant problems.

....okay ...so it's been in the works for a few years ...I'll give 'em that one. But, so has the MagicBand, FP+ and My Magic+, My Disney Experience app's and system....etc. All of which reportedly carry a $1 Billion dollar price tag.

....as much as they want to make guests happy ...they also want to make Wall Street and the shareholders happy. That was made evident in the transcript of the Walt Disney Co. corporate earnings conference call transcript in which CFO Jay Rasulo makes a statement as follows:

Disney CFO Jay Rasulo:

"We have known for a really long time that getting our visitors to Walt Disney World to make decisions about where they spend their time before they leave home is a powerful driver of visits per guest. When they get into the Orlando market and their time isn’t yet planned, they can be subject to everything you see down there, which is a lot of in-city marketing for all the many products that people have put there to basically bleed off the feed that we fundamentally motivate. So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet. So that’s one thing for you guys to think about.

And the second thing is, what happens to purchases when they become much more convenient and you don’t spend time queuing up for a transaction, queuing up to get in the park and you actually have more time to enjoy the entertainment and subsequently spend more money doing things other than standing in line which, of course, you can’t spend any money while you’re doing that".

....it's clear that the whole system that they devised is about 'people management' ....to have people as a captive audience ...and not always standing on lines so that they can open their wallets during the time between attractions.

....if the new DAS / GAC or whatever they call it breaks down ....doesn't work as planned ....they lost a $1 billion investment, because the system as a "whole" will not work as envisioned ....and that can never be allowed to happen. Believe me ...if the DAS system is actually rolled out and operated as planned ...and someone that holds that DAS pass needs to wait between entrance times to attractions ....do you think that Disney doesn't hope that they too will spend during that lull? I think that it's an integral part of their plans. They care not one bit how able bodied a 'guest' is if there is a dollar in their pocket that they can have end up in their coffers. The excerpt from the transcript seems to verify that. I feel that they are going to make this system work ...come he!! or high water.
I know this isn't the nature of this discussion, but you posted the Jay Rasulo quote that's been quoted a few time here regarding planning. I think the planning aspect can manifest itself in other ways besides Fastpass+. Designing your Test Track car in advance is a possibility, as is designing an it's a small world character. These types of things certainly add value without over scheduling your vacation and should all be reasonable under the new Magic Band/My Magic + system.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm sure she loves her son, but poking through her videos, she is a bit snarky about pretty much everything.

For example...

"Tell me I didn't get the right kid from the hospital" (yes, I know she was joking)

And she constantly refers to him as "that kid", even in front of his face. Not "my kid"..."that kid"...

Still, nice to hear her opinions / experience. At least she has done it, so she isn't just making up how terrible it is (though, she went in with a rather strong bias that it wasn't going to work it seems, escalating it up "three managers" worth (using her words) before even trying it.) I haven't watched her other 3 updates yet...doing that now.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I love this... the woman argues her kid gets violent and out of control and that's why they should give her a FOTL pass. How about.. if your child is violent and out of control - they shouldn't be allowed in the park period. If they become a threat or danger to other guests they should be removed from the park.

And the funny part 'I guess universal studios here we come!' - obviously hasn't done her homework :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Though, I do ask myself...after video 3...where is her 6 foot 2 violent son while she's making all these videos? In video 2 she indicated that he was already "in there" (TSMM)...

So, he's uber violent, assaulting her in Guest Relations, but she lets him ride the ride unattended (and stand in the FP line) by himself when he's such an obvious (according to her own statements made multiple times in the videos) threat to others due to his condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom