FW Cabins vs POR

MSUdisney2019

Original Poster
We’re trying to decide where to stay for a trip next summer. The cabins are a great option for us (group of 6) because it is significantly cheaper than having to pay for two rooms. However, we are a bit concerned about the bussing logistics. Which cabin loops are the best with regards to bussing/is it really as big of a deal as it appears to be? Are any of the loops within walking distance to the main bussing station? We have always stayed at POR and absolutely love it so paying for two rooms there is our other option. Thanks!​

elder

We’re trying to decide where to stay for a trip next summer. The cabins are a great option for us (group of 6) because it is significantly cheaper than having to pay for two rooms. However, we are a bit concerned about the bussing logistics. Which cabin loops are the best with regards to bussing/is it really as big of a deal as it appears to be? Are any of the loops within walking distance to the main bussing station? We have always stayed at POR and absolutely love it so paying for two rooms there is our other option. Thanks!​
We stayed at the cabins in 2016. The cabins were nice, but we will not stay there again due to the transportation issue. We disliked having to grab a bus to take us to the back of the resort, to get off and have another good walk to get to the boats. The boats only take you to the contemporary resort for rope drop at MK. The boat straight to MK does not run until later. (Unless they have changed this recently) So once you are at CR, you must either take the 10 min walk, or grab the monorail. If they had a bus to take me directly to MK, I might give them a second chance.

wagner1225

Another option might be AOA Suites, we have stayed at the Cabins several times, we didn't mine the buses as its a more laid back resort and everybody doesn't seem to be in a hurry, the buses at AOA were good but more crowds, we really liked AOA and it was under $ 300.00 for a suite

note2001

If I were going to WDW and not stepping a foot into a park, Fort Wilderness is where I'd love to be. (or WL)
It is a resort unto itself. If your plan is to kick back and relax with a bit of park touring involved, it can be the perfect environment to relax at. I never considered the internal bus loop to be a pain, but you can do what 99% of the other folk do and rent a golf cart.
If you choose not to stay at the cabins, but elsewhere, consider a future trip involving the cabins. It really is something to experience, and I think all kids would love it.

nickys

Premium Member
I can't answer to the bus situation. But you might want to consider the sleeping arrangements.

You'll have one bedroom including bunk beds, and a sleeper sofa. Will that work for your group?

Also of course you have a full kitchen, and are completely separated from others, with space around the cabin.

mololy

We stayed in the Cabins in 2013, and I believe they have been updated a bit since then, but they worked great for our family of 5, including 3 teenagers. I should note that the layout of the bedroom is a bit odd since the double bed is pushed up against the wall. However, we found the full kitchen to be a real cost saver. We would make breakfast each morning, and then have a crockpot meal for lunch or dinner depending on when we came back to the cabin.

We have never had a problem with the internal bus system. It's pretty easy to navigate and buses run pretty consistently. We never had to wait very long for a bus to arrive at our stop.

Our cabin was closer to the front of the resort and we were able to walk to the bus depot, though we don't mind walking a little bit. I believe all of the cabin loops are towards the front of the resort so you would have to catch a bus to the boat docks, or rent a golf cart. We made it to rope drop plenty of times on the boat, you just have to make sure you're on the very first boat out. Though some days the boat runs a little late. If there isn't a line for the Contemporary boat though, you can always hop in that to get there a little earlier.

BASS

I love the cabins. However, for 6 of you, it can be problematic. I did it with 5 and as mentioned above, the bathroom situation stinks. Also, for sleeping quarters, it can be a bit cramped. The sofa bed is actually quite comfortable but that takes up a fair amount of space. And don't forget that although there are bunk beds, they are twin sized and quite cramped. For example, an adult can't sit up on the bottom one.

The bussing wasn't an issue for us because we rented a golf cart. However, the golf cart is $50/day, so that eats into whatever saving you have by not renting 2 rooms at Port Orleans (or somewhere else).

On the flip side, it's one of the more relaxing places on property. It is a nice "vacation" from the parks.

I'd absolutely stay again at the cabins but wouldn't recommend it for a group of 6; unless, of course, you're ok "roughing" it for a few days.

note2001

Hurricanes don't generally hit the Orlando area, but keep in mind when reserving in hurricane season that there is always a chance of one, they're impossible to predict months out, and if one comes near WDW, the campground will be evacuated. Other resorts are not. You will also have to cough up the price difference between the cabin and whatever room you are placed in. They do not discount for hurricanes.

Forget the bussing problem. One bathroom for 6 people? No thanks.

Last I stayed in these, the water pressure was quite lacking too, making for longer showers.

Don't misconstrue my words, I love the cabins. I'd never consider a value room over one anyday. They're not even close in my book. Just be prepared as it's not the same experience as a hotel room.

Last edited:

Missing_Aria

Not sure if you've considered it but the Art of Animation has some fairly reasonably (by Disney standards anyway) priced suites that sleep 6. They're actually a bit cheaper than the Wilderness Cabins and the transportation situation is much better. Also if you like pools Art of Animation has the better one. Disney Tourist Blog even has a comparison up of the two as well as individual reviews of each resort.

I was looking at something a while back to be able to take my niece and nephew and I looked at Wilderness's cabins because I thought it was the cheapest option too but found out that the Animation suites are actually cheaper which surprised me.

BASS

For those suggesting Art of Animation, you're going to have the same issues you'll have in the cabins. You have 1 bathroom. And generally speaking, limited space. As an aside, I don't know why Disney doesn't have more 2-bedroom-2-bathroom options.

Also, folks can disagree, but IMO, the cabins are far, far nicer than Art of Animation. The latter is very well-themed but it's a zoo. There's a peace and quiet at the cabins you can't get at AoA.

IMO, if you're going to rough it, cabins > AoA. In the end though, I'd still recommend separate rooms. The convenience and privacy is worth the extra $, IMO.

Missing_Aria

For those suggesting Art of Animation, you're going to have the same issues you'll have in the cabins. You have 1 bathroom. And generally speaking, limited space. As an aside, I don't know why Disney doesn't have more 2-bedroom-2-bathroom options.

Also, folks can disagree, but IMO, the cabins are far, far nicer than Art of Animation. The latter is very well-themed but it's a zoo. There's a peace and quiet at the cabins you can't get at AoA.

IMO, if you're going to rough it, cabins > AoA. In the end though, I'd still recommend separate rooms. The convenience and privacy is worth the extra $, IMO.

Oh I agree with all of this. But concerns about transportation were brought up so I suggested Animation. The suites there do have a division of rooms but yeah I couldn't do the 1 bathroom thing with 5 other people, I did it in the military with far more people and I've done my time sharing bathrooms TYVM. I agree that the better option here is to go for the two POR rooms, you should definitely get to relax on your vacation.

BASS

OP, for your additional consideration, you have a full kitchen in the cabins. Lots of folks aren't keen about cooking on vacation, but if anyone in your group is obliged, you can likely save some money that way too. Each cabin has a BBQ and a decent sized table and deck.

Missing_Aria

OP, for your additional consideration, you have a full kitchen in the cabins. Lots of folks aren't keen about cooking on vacation, but if anyone in your group is obliged, you can likely save some money that way too. Each cabin has a BBQ and a decent sized table and deck.

True, and I believe you can get groceries delivered there. Disney Tourist Blog actually does that to some extent for every trip to try and save some money.

Missing_Aria

Oh I totally forgot another suggestion to save some money. Look into Airbnb @ Golden Oaks (the swanky neighborhoods in WDW). They rent insanely cheap compared to the resorts, definitely cheap enough to make up for the loss of perks from not staying in a resort. You still have access to things like shuttles and pools too, but you'd definitely have to eat at the park or bring your own food. A lot of the home owners seem to go out of their way to really do Disney themed decor too.

You can also get campers delivered to Wilderness via Airbnb to use. The owners basically want to make some extra cash and get them out of their driveways for a bit.

Might not be for you but just throwing other options out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom