Future Pixar Movies

wagner92

Original Poster
Hey hey hey hey..... go see Monsters Inc.!!!!! It will help give my Pixar stock a boost! :sohappy: In other news.... I have found out what their next couple of movies will be:
Sometime around 2003 will be Finding Nemo, a movie that is about a clown fish in the ocean.
Sometime in 2004 will be a movie tenatively titled The Invincibles, a movie about a family of superheroes.
Finally, the 7th movie of the current Pixar-Disney deal is also tenatively titled Route 66, a movie about race cars.

NowInc

the original pixar/disney deal was for 4 films only...however I am 100% positive you will see more things done from them together.

Pixar is working on more than 5 different projects right now...and I can't say how many (or if any) are with disney, but just keep your eyes open :animwink:

wdwmaniac

Is Pixar a big enough name to make movies by themselves? The only reason some people see movies is becasue they have the Disney Logo. Also do they have the money?

NowInc

Originally posted by wdwmaniac
Is Pixar a big enough name to make movies by themselves? The only reason some people see movies is becasue they have the Disney Logo. Also do they have the money?

Pixar is more than capable of making films on their own...and have done so for YEARS.

They don't do feature films on their own simply because they were bound by contract to Disney.

You can see all the stuff they worked on (including the various film shorts) over at www.pixar.com .

MrPromey

Well, I was under the impression that until the entered the "Feature Film Agreement" with Disney back in 1991, Pixar was pretty much only known for their work in commercials and for the licensing of their Renderman software. The original contract under which Toy Story was made was for a total of 3 films although only one of those 3 was ever made. It was in 1992, because of the Disney deal, that Pixar began putting more focus on products with content, such as films. That original agreement was superseded in 1997 when Pixar signed into a new "Co-Production Agreement" with Disney for a total of 5 new films (incidentally, this new contract gave them much more control over new films such as partial rights to the characters as well as a better financial stake in the profits) Toy Story 2 was not included in the new 5 film agreement with Disney because under the previous agreement, all sequels to the original Toy Story as well as all merchandising rights, fell under the original contract. As I have said before, this is a real hot spot right now with Disney and Pixar because they both want to do a part 3 to that series but Disney says it would have to be under the original contract and Pixar says they won't do it that way. Disney has the right to make part 3 on their own because they have total ownership of the characters but such a move is not likely - at least not in the near future. Under the new 5 film contract two movies, A Bugs Life and Monsters Inc. have been released. Still in the works are Film Five as well as 3 two other movies that I don't think they have yet released the names of. They are scheduled to release one a year through 2004 which will be the end of their current agreement with Disney. At that point it's anybody's guess what will happen. There was a question about weather or not Pixar could go it alone. Disney has been a major financier both with research and development as well as production of all of the feature films. Since each one is surpassing the financial records set by it's predecessor, Pixar could probably sack away enough of their money to produce one on their own in 4 years. The only question really is if they will be able to promote it. Part of the reason that Monsters Inc. is doing so well is because Disney has been promoting the hell out of it for over a year. The theater near me has had window clings and cardboard stand-ups and other such items in their lobby for months promoting this movie. Yes, there was stuff up about it even when Shrek was in theaters. They have a deal with Mc Donald's and tons of toys and lets not forget that they were selling Halloween costumes of the two main characters over a month before the movie even came out. Can Pixar generate the kind of exposure that Disney can on their own? The answer to that would be no. Almost nobody can besides Disney and maybe one or two other companies on earth. Pixar could go it alone. They might even be able to make more money on their own but if they do it will be at the cost of a higher total box office draw. Even though they don't make the movies, Disney brings a lot to the table and if it weren't for Disney, Pixar would probably still be animating Mouthwash bottles and selling software. Their relationship with Disney still accounts for about 92% of their total income each year. It's sort of symbiotic and anytime you have a symbiotic relationship and the two are separated, both suffer. The next three films are going to bring Disney and Pixar even closer. I think that if Pixar were to release a feature film without Disney and they were able to get it into major theatres on their own, many would still think it was a Disney movie.

NowInc

You also should mention that IF pixar did decide to go on their own....it is VERY likley that Dreamworks will snag a new deal with them. Its actually not so far fetched as it may seem....Pixar's history has a lot of big names involved...including George Lucas...for those who know..he controls ILM...for those who keep up with studio/effects house news...ILM and Dreamworks are merging....you can see where this is going....

Fantasia Fan

I still say John Lasseter is the lynchpin in this whole equation. Steve Jobs may be the financial brains in the outfit but John is certainly the creative one. He does have long standing ties to Disney and I still believe that if Disney felt it was going to lose Pixar, it would make a last ditch effort to woo John with big bucks and a position as head of feature animation.

As for Dreamworks, the real test comes whether or not lightning strikes twice for them. Their other animated movies have all performed from decent to mediocre. Katzenberg is certainly in this game to spite Disney and this was his first real crack in the Disney armor. Having Pixar helps out a lot but where does that leave PDI?

If Disney would stop worrying about Toy Story 3 and start worrying about keeping Pixar on board, things could be put in better perspective. They certainly overpaid for Fox Family Channel so I can't imagine why they would let Pixar go without a fight. Dollars generated in revenue from various outlets from the Pixar films (movies, theme park and merchandise tie-ins) not to mention the name brand has been big for Disney.

NowInc

Originally posted by Fantasia Fan As for Dreamworks, the real test comes whether or not lightning strikes twice for them. Their other animated movies have all performed from decent to mediocre. Katzenberg is certainly in this game to spite Disney and this was his first real crack in the Disney armor. Having Pixar helps out a lot but where does that leave PDI?
[/B]

PDI can hold their own. Pretty much 80% of all the car commercials you see on TV today are made by them...and thats just a fraction of the work they have under their hood. Granted they aren't as big as a company as Pixar...but it's not like Dreamworks gave PDI much credit for doing a LARGE chunk of the work on Shrek...I don't think it would hurt them to keep doing their own thing.

MrPromey

Originally posted by NowInc
You also should mention that IF pixar did decide to go on their own....it is VERY likley that Dreamworks will snag a new deal with them. Its actually not so far fetched as it may seem....Pixar's history has a lot of big names involved...including George Lucas...for those who know..he controls ILM...for those who keep up with studio/effects house news...ILM and Dreamworks are merging....you can see where this is going....

It's also worth pointing out that the Dreamworks/ILM combination really means nothing in this context. Disney and George Lucas have been on rather good terms over the years with such attractions in the parks as Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Alien Encounter (which George had a hand in creating) being the result of their relationship. Since Pixar was sold outright, there are no formal ties between the two companies and since Mr. Lucas has no financial interest in Pixar, I see no direct reason for him taking any kind of special interest in the company. In fact, I would venture to say that Disney's Relationship with Lucas and Lucas Films, probably had more to do with the Star Wars trailer premiering before Monsters Inc. than anything having to do with Pixar, especially since these kinds of deals are made with the distributor of the films, anyway.
You also have to look at what advantage Pixar would have for going with Dreamworks over Disney. Disney is a much larger company that dwarfs Dreamworks in marketing power, plus it has been established for over 75 years as a leader in quality family entertainment. The only film distributed by Dreamworks that even comes close would be Shrek, and there were parts of that film that were anything but family oriented. To my knowledge, they have released 3 other animated features, all of which have grossly under-preformed. Unless a lot were to change over the next 4 years, Pixar would be better off with Disney than they would be with Dreamworks even after the current contract...

As a side note, I'd also like to point out that Pixar is almost 100% responsible for the current friction between them and Disney. Under the origianl agreement (otherwise known as a contract) Disney pretty much had ownership of Toy Story. It also contained wording for the handeling of sequels. Even after the original success of Toy Story and the release of A Bugs Life, Pixar agreed to make Toy Story 2 under the original, less favorable (for Pixar) agreement. Steve Jobs claims that he already gave Disney a "freebie" with Toy Story 2 but what he actually did was set precident for sequals to the Toy Story franchise. By agreeing to the 2nd film under the original films terms, he solidified the wording of the original agreement and gave full credibility to it even after the creation of a new agreement so Disney has every right to expect a third one under the same terms... This is business and I find it hard to believe that Pixar would spend a few years in production of a sequal at a discounted price just becaue they are "nice guys". They had their chance to renegotiate with Toy Story 2 but they are trying to change things around after the fact to get a biger slice of that pie. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that. They have a responsibility to their shareholders to get the most that they can just as Disney does to their own shareholders but they made a mistake when they agreed to make Toy Story 2 under the original terms. They were in the same position that they are now, they didn't have to make it. They could have argued for more then but they didn't... They were also making it for video and DVD release. It sort of makes me wonder a bit about their management, you know? :)

NowInc

The relationship between Disney and Lucas hasn't been that great latley...mostly due to the whole "issues" with Star Tours 2. I'm not saying they are mortal enemies...But I AM saying thatI think if it came down to it..and Lucas had to choose between Disney and Pixar..he'd choose Pixar.

I also don't think anything will go down any time soon....things like this take YEARS...and even then...companies come and go so fast in the industry its hard to keep track.

MrPromey

Originally posted by NowInc

I also don't think anything will go down any time soon....things like this take YEARS...and even then...companies come and go so fast in the industry its hard to keep track.

very, Very, VERY good point! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom