Future of the Hollywood Tower of Terror

CaptainAmerica

Disney did a speedrun with how quickly they abandoned that park’s original vision/theme. Now it's Disney's IP Adventure.
Imagine thinking that Hollywood Studios wasn't always IP Adventure. At least now it's THEIR IP. Let's pull out an old park map, shall we?
  • SuperStar Television featuring I love Lucy, Cheers, and The Tonight Show. Presented by SONY.
  • Aladdin's Royal Caravan
  • Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
  • The Magic of Disney Animation
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid
  • The Great Movie Ride. Presented by Coca-Cola
  • The Sudio Showcase
  • "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set Adventure
  • Jim Henson's MuppetVision 3D
  • Meet the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • Star Tours
  • Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
What about the original park wasn't a mishmash of IP, besides Backlot Tour? Studios has gone from a park of borrowed IP to a park of owned IP, and somehow that's a downgrade in terms of thematic integrity.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What about the original park wasn't a mishmash of IP, besides Backlot Tour? Studios has gone from a park of borrowed IP to a park of owned IP, and somehow that's a downgrade in terms of thematic integrity.
So, what you're saying is that it's not just any old Hollywood studios, but some sort of Disney Hollywood studios??

;)

J4546

Imagine thinking that Hollywood Studios wasn't always IP Adventure. At least now it's THEIR IP. Let's pull out an old park map, shall we?
  • SuperStar Television featuring I love Lucy, Cheers, and The Tonight Show. Presented by SONY.
  • The Sudio Showcase
  • Star Tours
I think he was talking about DCA.

Though I still think DCA has a California vibe to it, even with Avengers Campus

jpwdis

• The Sudio Showcase
  • Star Tours
Yeah, I was referring to DCA... thought that was clear given who I was responding to.

But yeah I agree, DHS has always been an IP park. Then again, it's a park themed around TV and movies, so it'd be pretty hard not to be filled with IPs.

celluloid

• The Sudio Showcase
  • Star Tours

It was a variety of IP with a central purpose of production of filmed, television produced life entertainment, or the spirit of Hollywood that never was and always will be.

Look to the parking lot that even summed that up.

There was a throughline in most attractions that kept this.

Being there "Because the company owns it" is a downgrade.

The entire bragging point being their own IP is silly anyway. What matters is how well it is done, not who owns it. Yayy for not sharing royalties or having someone checking on the quality.

_caleb

I don't understand why anyone would want a park called Disney's Hollywood Studios, which is owned by The Walt Disney Company, which is a major film, television, and streaming company consisting of multiple successful production studios, to feature IP from other companies.

celluloid

I don't understand why anyone would want a park called Disney's Hollywood Studios, which is owned by The Walt Disney Company, which is a major film, television, and streaming company consisting of multiple successful production studios, to feature IP from other companies.

The same reason Universal having great attractions based on other studio partnerships has great attractions. Who created the property it is based on is less of a matter than the the attraction being great enhancing the theme of the park.

It is not the properties that is lessoning the theme.

Star Tours was not based on a Disney property when it was first built, and it held up long enough to change because at its core it was a fantastically made attraction of the time.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The same reason Universal having great attractions based on other studio partnerships has great attractions. Who created the property it is based on is less of a matter than the the attraction being great enhancing the theme of the park.

It is not the properties that is lessening the theme.

Star Tours was not based on a Disney property when it was first built, and it held up long enough to change because at its core it was a fantastically made attraction of the time.

Universal doesn't have a 100 year history of producing children and family entertainment that has become cultural touchstones. So, they pretty much had to shop around for other people's IPs.

Universal/Comcast copied Disney by starting its own animation arm with Illuminations in 2010 and then immediately gobbled up Mac Guff studio (Minions) a year later.

In 2016, they bought Dreamworks.

So, many of those "other people's IPs" are now Universal's.

Disney doesn't need other people's IP anymore because of the depth of its bench. Tangled, Coco, Encanto, Moana and many others are waiting for their turn to anchor a major ride or mini-land.

celluloid

Universal doesn't have a 100 year history of producing children and family entertainment that has become cultural touchstones. So, they pretty much had to shop around for other people's IPs.

Universal/Comcast copied Disney by starting its own animation arm with Illuminations in 2010 and then immediately gobbled up Mac Guff studio (Minions) a year later.

In 2016, they bought Dreamworks.

So, many of those "other people's IPs" are now Universal's.

Disney doesn't need other people's IP anymore because of the depth of its bench. Tangled, Coco, Encanto, Moana and many others are waiting for their turn to anchor a major ride or mini-land.
I was not speaking of Dreamworks or Illuminations when I posted.

Since you brouht it upWould that no go against Disney needing to do that though? They did do it. They bought 20th Century Fox, Star Wars and Marvel.

That being said, that was not the issue I was bringing up. It is all how well something is done.

At any rate, Universal still does use outside properties for their attractions. Some of their biggest money makers and or attractions for example, include active partnerships Sony Columbia, Paramount, Warner Brothers and Nintendo.

I would be fine with Disney having outside properties used as we got great attractions like Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride and Star Tours more frequently. All top knotch of their time. It does not bother me that they are not owned by Disney. It would bother me much more if the attraction is not up to par or not a fit.

Last edited:

mightynine

Because in Tower of Terror's case, it's a well-done attraction? I dunno, I would think those would be nice to have in a theme park.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Universal doesn’t need outside IP anymore? Epic is opening with half of its lands themed to outside IPs. Its biggest moneymaker is a WB property.
Yes, it needs outside IP.

But, it's trying to wean itself off of outside IP.

And that's the kind of thing which takes generational planning.

Two new lands are called into being based on their own IP. And they're tripling down on Minions.

The two outside IPs in EU are already in Universal's pocket, so to speak. They didn't go shopping for new IP.

_caleb

Because in Tower of Terror's case, it's a well-done attraction? I dunno, I would think those would be nice to have in a theme park.
But is the IP what makes it a "well-done attraction?"
How would it affect things if they rethemed it around a Disney-owned, Twilight-Zone-ish storyline?

MagicHappens1971

How would it affect things if they rethemed it around a Disney-owned, Twilight-Zone-ish storyline?
An IP does not make a good/well a done attraction. See Frozen Ever After, Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Tower of Terror is very well done but could in theory exist without the IP and still be well done.

mightynine

I would not have a problem with that, however, the company's past actions show they'll shove anything in there. There's just as good of a chance it becomes Moana & Maui's Monster Dive and re-enact the plunge into the Realm of Monsters.

Rodj

Tower of Terror is very well done but could in theory exist without the IP and still be well done.
I disagree with this, nearly every scene and ride audio would have to be redone as they all utilize content from The Twilight Zone. The hallway scene would have to do away with the stars as it wouldn’t make sense in any other story and the 5th dimension room would have to be completely redone in a way that still hides the “transition area” in front of the drop shaft doors(this area has many ride control boxes and other mechanical equipment in it).
The ride BGM is a bit confusing on if it is fully under The Twilight Zone IP or if it is just the starting portion which uses the Twilight Zone theme.
The ride to me wouldn’t portray the same emotion and tension without these.

yensidtlaw1969

Here are some of Tony Baxter's comments about the creation of The Indiana Jones Adventure for Disneyland:

"I think the worst type of IP attraction is where you slap a name on something that's totally generic. I won't say other parks by name, but they'll go out of their way to buy the rights, and it's basically a billboard out in front of something they've bought from a steel vendor. To me, that doesn't do anything. It's got to deliver the emotional expectations if you're labeling it with IP.

Indiana Jones is a good example, because everything about that ride, we pretty much developed here. I actually have a slide that I put in a show, where I bring up the Indiana Jones Adventure and the perfect script and everything, and then I show 'Kentucky Buck Adventure' and a similar script, and I say, 'okay, tell me the emotions that are going through you as you see both of these.' And you get 'authentic,' 'correct,' and everything about it, and then 'rip-off' and all that, and I say, why would you avoid the relationship with Lucas and the payments and all that when what it 'buys' you are all these negative feelings? I'm sure we could do that, but why? Why not say that Disney's got the ultimate one? Star Wars is the ultimate space adventure. Indiana Jones is the ultimate. If we want to do anything in those worlds, you either are inauthentic or you're authentic."

Source: https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201311/3782/

At this point, eliminating The Twilight Zone from The Tower of Terror in favor of a "Twilight-Zone-ish" original alternative would just make the ride feel like a knockoff of its own successes. It's already great and people love it as-is. Just let it be.

CaptainAmerica

Here are some of Tony Baxter's comments about the creation of The Indiana Jones Adventure for Disneyland:

"I think the worst type of IP attraction is where you slap a name on something that's totally generic. I won't say other parks by name, but they'll go out of their way to buy the rights, and it's basically a billboard out in front of something they've bought from a steel vendor. To me, that doesn't do anything. It's got to deliver the emotional expectations if you're labeling it with IP.

Indiana Jones is a good example, because everything about that ride, we pretty much developed here. I actually have a slide that I put in a show, where I bring up the Indiana Jones Adventure and the perfect script and everything, and then I show 'Kentucky Buck Adventure' and a similar script, and I say, 'okay, tell me the emotions that are going through you as you see both of these.' And you get 'authentic,' 'correct,' and everything about it, and then 'rip-off' and all that, and I say, why would you avoid the relationship with Lucas and the payments and all that when what it 'buys' you are all these negative feelings? I'm sure we could do that, but why? Why not say that Disney's got the ultimate one? Star Wars is the ultimate space adventure. Indiana Jones is the ultimate. If we want to do anything in those worlds, you either are inauthentic or you're authentic."
I think the difference is that Star Wars and Indiana Jones are iconic. The Twilight Zone is classic but not iconic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom