Future of Hong Kong Disneyland, Frozen, Marvel, Pirates and a 2nd park?

What should HKDL 2nd gate be?

• Total voters

Tank Man

Original Poster
This is a speculation thread I am doing as I am going from talking about the US to China as my first Disney park I will go to outside of the US will be Hong Kong and now I am researching things on it. First it is a small park (opinion). But Disney is going to do a Iger style save with Frozen and Marvel. Frozen is going to be East of the Fantasyland railroad station in that expansion lot (Far East side of park). And Marvel land will be on the expansion lot north of the park/ north of Tomorrowland right next to Iron Man Experience and near Ant Man. But they are running out of room. They could remove the backstage buildings somewhere else and could fit a land the size of Frozen in it. If you know a bit about HKDL you would know about the canceled idea for a $750Million dollar expansion idea, Pirates land. An Imagineer say that the park did not have a Frontierland as they don’t now still. He hatched an idea for a pirates land which sounds amazing but Eisner shooed away. Could this land return and replace the RoA there as it is just useless as they are running out of room. That would mean the removal of the Tarzan treehouse and stuff but s full on Pirates land will be cool, maybe not from the movies but that is what to expect. Then opposite of HKDL there is an empty spot, for expansion. The parks numbers have been super low so it makes sense why this park size lot has not been used. First it would need more hotels and parking lots if they wanted more guests. But a new park would be amazing if they could. Do you think they could. But I think HKDL should have at least in the teens of numbers first as they are a long shot away.

brb1006

2z4fdv.jpg

No offense, but paragraphs would be nice and a bit easier to understand.

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

Frozen is going to be East of the Fantasyland railroad station in that expansion lot (Far East side of park)

Frozen is actually being built on the westernmost side of the park. East side of the park is Main Street.

As for your question, I don't believe we will see a second gate until after 2030 at least. A lot will depend on how much attendance grows after the completion of the upcoming expansions. In the meantime, a flower garden is being proposed for the location of the second gate since it's obvious Disney isn't planning to use that land anytime soon.

A European-themed flower garden has been suggested as a temporary attraction on an empty plot of land next to Hong Kong Disneyland, the government has announced.

The announcement comes after lawmakers quizzed the government on how long the theme park’s expansion will take, which some say has been too slow and has meant land has been left unused.

The European-themed Kaleido Park will be a first-of-its-kind project in Hong Kong, offering visitors a unique experience through breathtaking floral displays,” Yau said. He added that the government welcomed any tourism ideas that would make use of the empty Disneyland site in the short term.

Tank Man

Original Poster
Frozen is actually being built on the westernmost side of the park. East side of the park is Main Street.

As for your question, I don't believe we will see a second gate until after 2030 at least. A lot will depend on how much attendance grows after the completion of the upcoming expansions. In the meantime, a flower garden is being proposed for the location of the second gate since it's obvious Disney isn't planning to use that land anytime soon.
Sorry I meant east, west is the entrance.
Messed up there

Tank Man

Original Poster

Exactly,
I said Disney probably has plans for one if it does well enough but the park struggles. Yeah after the 2030’s we might if the expansions Disney has plans for saves the park. Also the Pirates idea was just how they can bring back an idea that should have been made

IMDREW

I’d love a DisneySky park. With the main IP being Peter Pan and an epic PP ride at the center. Then also maybe Pandora, Star Wars..

PiratesMansion

Look, I'd love a second gate as much as anyone, but they need more attractions, more reasons for people to come, and for waits to go above the average of five minutes I waited for each ride (and saw repeatedly on the app in days I didn't visit) before they can begin to think about another park.

Tank Man

Original Poster
Look, I'd love a second gate as much as anyone, but they need more attractions, more reasons for people to come, and for waits to go above the average of five minutes I waited for each ride (and saw repeatedly on the app in days I didn't visit) before they can begin to think about another park.
K,
I never knew the small wait times, only the small attendance. But yes. Disney would only build one if it does well enough as maybe DCA (teens of millions). They just don’t have much room. I did declare some possible expansions but then they will have to remove stuff (rides)

EarthboundChild

Considering they're planning to use the space for a garden now it looks like a 2nd gate is well far off in the future. At minimum they won't consider it unless they reap the benefits of the current investment into the new castle (2020), Arrendale: Kingdom of Frozen (2021) and the Marvel e-ticket (2023?) in the future. So we might not even see the park until nearly a decade later at earliest.

For a second park I do think they should go for a nature theme. While perhaps not entirely like Animal Kingdom (and exclude the expensive to maintain safari) they could aim something in that direction; perhaps they can even include a seas section to take advantage of their location near the ocean. China's most successful domestic theme park company is Chimelong, and their parks aim for a nature angle so it looks like such a theme can really appeal to the Chinese audience.

The theme should be broad in order to give them flexibility with rides so that the theme won't be ruined in the future when they decide they need to replace attractions.

A few lands to consider for this Disney Nature Park could be:
Pandora - World of Avatar - While still expensive this can be a great opportunity to re-use what they created for Animal Kingdom at WDW. HKDL needs an e-ticket to rival the ridiculously popular Soarin' at SHDL and FoP is a strong answer. The land will also come with Na'vi River Journey to provide another much needed attraction. While I encourage any new parks to have broad themes Pandora is already a successful concept, beautiful land, and features a strong e-ticket attraction so it would be an exception that still fits into the "nature" theme.

Seas area - Keep this broadly themed. While I cannot immediately think of an popular e-ticket to draw crowds they can at the very least easily replicate The Little Mermaid- Ariel's Undersea Adventure and one of the Finding Nemo rides to provide some attractions off the bat.

Other nature themed areas - Perhaps a forest/jungle/mountain area. Again keep it broadly themed for flexibility purposes. This would also give an opportunity for the park to finally get a rapids or log flume ride that they've planned but never created. I am not sure of the popularity of Indiana Jones in China but a replication of that ride could also give a much needed e-ticket. Even with unfamiliarity with the IP the idea of an adventure in a temple should have universal appeal.

Considering this prospective park would be nearly a decade out a lot can change also in the coming years, plus we have to consider anything used at Shanghai may not be permitted at HK due to certain agreements (such as Frozen at HKDL and Zootopia at SHDL). With the IP movement of the parks I would also assume that any original e-tickets created for the new park would be IP based for better or worse.

Tank Man

Original Poster
Considering they're planning to use the space for a garden now it looks like a 2nd gate is well far off in the future. At minimum they won't consider it unless they reap the benefits of the current investment into the new castle (2020), Arrendale: Kingdom of Frozen (2021) and the Marvel e-ticket (2023?) in the future. So we might not even see the park until nearly a decade later at earliest.

For a second park I do think they should go for a nature theme. While perhaps not entirely like Animal Kingdom (and exclude the expensive to maintain safari) they could aim something in that direction; perhaps they can even include a seas section to take advantage of their location near the ocean. China's most successful domestic theme park company is Chimelong, and their parks aim for a nature angle so it looks like such a theme can really appeal to the Chinese audience.

The theme should be broad in order to give them flexibility with rides so that the theme won't be ruined in the future when they decide they need to replace attractions.

A few lands to consider for this Disney Nature Park could be:
Pandora - World of Avatar - While still expensive this can be a great opportunity to re-use what they created for Animal Kingdom at WDW. HKDL needs an e-ticket to rival the ridiculously popular Soarin' at SHDL and FoP is a strong answer. The land will also come with Na'vi River Journey to provide another much needed attraction. While I encourage any new parks to have broad themes Pandora is already a successful concept, beautiful land, and features a strong e-ticket attraction so it would be an exception that still fits into the "nature" theme.

Seas area - Keep this broadly themed. While I cannot immediately think of an popular e-ticket to draw crowds they can at the very least easily replicate The Little Mermaid- Ariel's Undersea Adventure and one of the Finding Nemo rides to provide some attractions off the bat.

Other nature themed areas - Perhaps a forest/jungle/mountain area. Again keep it broadly themed for flexibility purposes. This would also give an opportunity for the park to finally get a rapids or log flume ride that they've planned but never created. I am not sure of the popularity of Indiana Jones in China but a replication of that ride could also give a much needed e-ticket. Even with unfamiliarity with the IP the idea of an adventure in a temple should have universal appeal.

Considering this prospective park would be nearly a decade out a lot can change also in the coming years, plus we have to consider anything used at Shanghai may not be permitted at HK due to certain agreements (such as Frozen at HKDL and Zootopia at SHDL). With the IP movement of the parks I would also assume that any original e-tickets created for the new park would be IP based for better or worse.
A pretty good idea,
But the most likely is moving hotels or backstage stuff to the expansion pad to free up more room as that is most likely.
But I wonder,
Do you think Disney one day will just push the reset button there and rebuild it using the whole space they have, which is probably never gonna happen as they are investing in the park.

zen3278

I doubt they will ever open a 2nd gate. With the success of Shanghai Disneyland, they would probably want to expand Shanghai before Hong Kong.

IMDREW

One thing I really missed at HKDL was a downtown/disney springs/village area. Every Disney Resort has one. I'm hoping a Disney Street between the park and hotels is somewhere in the planning. With shops and restaurants and maybe even a movie theater.

Timothy_Q

One thing I really missed at HKDL was a downtown/disney springs/village area. Every Disney Resort has one. I'm hoping a Disney Street between the park and hotels is somewhere in the planning. With shops and restaurants and maybe even a movie theater.
The land set aside for a small Downtown Disney has been sitting there just waiting

00.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom