Fur character costumes

brb1006

While i mostly agree that some costumes are amazing, I don't understand why some costumes are also really bad. For example, Woody and Jessie's costumes are absolutely horrible and not resembling the characters, yet they have been used daily for years all around the world. I can't believe the artists who created them for the movies are thee ones who designed the costumes... I don't understand why they don't design new versions.
Apparently Pixar characters are tricker to pull off as walkaround characters.

Old Mouseketeer

I do imagine that the creators and artists who originally drew these characters or who are drawing them now are part of the team that gets these costumes of an exact likeness of the character. Take Stitch for example, he looks exactly like he does in the movie. I would imagine the artist who made the drawing of him had a major part in getting this costume exact. This goes for everyone of the fur costumes. They are utterly amazing. They look just like what we see on the movie screen.

All characters must be approved by their respective studio. This was easier when you were just dealing with WD Feature Animation. Now each brand "owns" their IP. Marvel and Lucasfilm exert a lot of influence, including things like restricting CMs who are not in area themed costumes into Launch Bay and Galaxy's Edge. It is believed that retiring Jedi Mickey and friends was Lucasfilm's preference.

Cmdr_Crimson

Apparently Pixar characters are tricker to pull off as walkaround characters.
They really should't be since they are three dimensional characters...So, getting them looking right shouldn't have been a problem..

One that bother me that doesn't look right is The Queen of Hearts..
How did this...
images

Become this....

brb1006

They really should't be since they are three dimensional characters...So, getting them looking right shouldn't have been a problem..

One that bother me that doesn't look right is The Queen of Hearts..
How did this...
images

Become this....
Yeah, The Queen Of Hearts's design hasn't changed since 1971 (which explains why she still looks off). It's the head shape and hair that bugs me the most. Even The King was able to get a more accurate design at Tokyo Disneyland. Maybe it's time for Disney to give her the "Mad Hatter" and Stepsisters treatment. After all, the face character version of The Queen that debuted at Club Villain was so much fun to watch.

Same with Tweedle Dee And Tweedle Dum
latest

Their park designs also stayed the same since the mid 1970s. It's the hair color that bugs me the most, also since when did they wear gloves?
latest

And while The Seven Dwarfs all gained newer designs in 1981 (Dopey gained a third design around 1989).
seven-dwarfs-mine-train1.jpg

Their clothing and hats aren't accurate to their movies appearances. (except Dopey)
sevendwarvesthanksgiving1.jpg

And to a lesser-extent Chip N Dale who also remained unchanged since 1981.

Anyway, it's time for The Queen Of Hearts and The Tweedles to finally get a makeover/redesign which Disney has been doing lately with the characters at the parks. (Recently Clarabelle, Horace, and Marie from The Aristocats)

Last edited:

brb1006

Why does she have a mole?

Ludwig Von Drake looks really off, too... maybe they don't see a point in updating him since he barely shows up in the parks anyway?
Ludwig Von Drake at one point had his own costume that didn't reuse Donald Duck's standard 1980s design (Scrooge, Daisy and Grandma Duck) as seen in this photo from "A World According To Goofy Parade".

When Disney decided to bring him back to the parks. They decided to reuse/reskin the old costume for Scrooge Mcduck and make him resemble Ludwig. As a result, you are actually seeing the old Scrooge Mcduck costume with the current design of Scrooge.
ludwig-and-scrooge-6.jpg

You can tell that's the old Scrooge costume once you notice the eyelids.
disney92u.jpg

I stumbled upon a blog called "pupepepets" which has posts giving more details on past costumes for the Disney characters at the Disney Parks. This post titled "Donald Duck Family Through the Years" is the most interesting read.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The Queen of Hearts costume character is off because she looks more "manish" than her animated counterpart. She was always a halfstep away from being Fred Flintstone even in the animated feature but the animators still did their part at establishing her gender by giving her curly eyelashes and earrings. Both of which are absent on the costume version. Give her some eyelids, some eyelashes, remove the mole, add some dangling gold earrings and drop the furrowed unibrow. So many things wrong with the face sculpt. Even the addition of nostrils is an odd one. Easily one the worst costumed characters in the entire park.

Last edited:

brb1006

On the topic of Alice In Wonderland, I always found the original design for The White Rabbit to be the most interesting. While Disney later redesigned the White Rabbit sometime in the mid 1990s (sometime in 1996 or 1997).
6qRrJof4kISyqKQL1pSDcRmrps1hgSp__OiAEuxFjNsq9y12NuoXhmvQkXhxCaxp3Idvjc9FoS987DnxLcVPJg-6ghJB6Sqk1IO9Sjk3k1BYWbDW5RBkhmEVguMNtBMMhgxeLeKL_KOZCFYKTWtpgDWIrHYjXwQl3HppaVbPCjgtKVY

They reused the White Rabbit's design for Mr and Mrs. Easter Bunny beginning in the 1970s (which is still used nowadays)
BlHrUF2IIAAL4fi.jpg

Mrs. Merry and Mayor Clayton (mascots for Give Kids The World) also reused the old design for The White Rabbit but with a few changes. Looks like Disney got permission from them to borrow those costumes.
8.jpg

brb1006

The Queen of Hearts costume character is off because she looks more "manish" than her animated counterpart. She was always a halfstep away from being Fred Flintstone even in the animated feature but the animators still did their part at establishing her gender by giving her curly eyelashes and earrings. Both of which are absent on the costume version. Give her some eyelids, some eyelashes, remove the mole, add some dangling gold earrings and drop the furrowed unibrow. So many things wrong with the face sculpt. Even the addition of nostrils is an odd one. Easily one the worst costumed characters in the entire park.
Don't forget her hair which looks tiny, you can tell that costume was made in the 70s. Since Disney was trying to make their characters look as close as possible to their animated counterparts (which took decades to perfect).

Cmdr_Crimson

And here's the kicker..She's voiced by Verna Felton..Who infact voiced Pearl Slaghoople on the Flintstones..
1590384151988.jpeg

However, she has a decent amount of Disney characters under her belt..
tumblr_mt1pb6yoKm1shi2wao1_500.png

brb1006

After giving a closer look at the Queen Of Hearts, I just now noticed that she never wore gloves in the original film compared to her park appearance. Same with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

Brer Panther

Mrs. Merry and Mayor Clayton (mascots for Give Kids The World) also reused the old design for The White Rabbit but with a few changes. Looks like Disney got permission from them to borrow those costumes.
8.jpg
With those colors, the girl rabbit kind of looks like Thumper too.

brb1006

Another character evolution I enjoy is the redesign of Marie from The Aristocats.

She originally looked like this since her debut at Disneyland Paris in 2005
Mariewdwforums.jpg

She later gained a very movie accurate design in 2013 for a Valentine's Day Event at Disneyland Paris and later Tokyo. She was even given whiskers, for some strange reason Marie wasn't depicted with whiskers at her other park appearances.
416257e0b5e0f1db066979a533e82499.jpg

94ad94f7656fe7c6097256b4d6ed10bd.jpg

Meanwhile, Marie's old design was still used at Walt Disney World, Hong Kong, and Disneyland. Her new appearance started getting appearing at Disneyland around 2014, and Walt Disney World in 2015.

brb1006

The new Marie costume is a big improvement, if for no other reason than because she isn't cross-eyed.
Also love how Marie's legs and the rest of her body look more accurate to her film design. I believe Marie (and Toulouse, and Berlioz) park design might had been based on Marie's cute dance during "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat".
tumblr_m9w0iziBPM1r2imzco1_500.gif

Recently Edgar also made his Disney Park debut at Disneyland Paris during a special event two years ago. The only characters that haven't made their park debut is Duchess and Thomas o'Malley (since the Scat Cats were at the Disney Parks for a period in the 70s and early 80s).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom