Fuel Rod swaps now $3 at WDW

Tom P.

The business model of offering free swaps was an unsustainable one and this change was inevitable.

That does now, however, change the fact that the FuelRod kiosks at Walt Disney World very clearly and unambiguously marketed the fact of unlimited free swaps. Now that tens of thousands of people have bought them, they are taking that benefit away. That sounds like the makings of a class action lawsuit to me.*

*In which a settlement will be reached, a group of lawyers will collect millions, and everyone who bought a FuelRod will get $0.50 off their next swap.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Fuel Rods swapping was a very bad business model. $30 each with free refills forever and functionally a lifetime warranty* on the fuel rod is a bankruptcy waiting to happen.

* De Facto lifetime warranty because when the battery stops holding a charge, the connector breaks or the rod "just dies", no problem! Just swap it out for a nice new rod.

RSoxNo1

OA212-In-Rod-We-Trust.jpg

Polydweller

Fuel Rods swapping was a very bad business model. $30 each with free refills forever and functionally a lifetime warranty* on the fuel rod is a bankruptcy waiting to happen.

* De Facto lifetime warranty because when the battery stops holding a charge, the connector breaks or the rod "just dies", no problem! Just swap it out for a nice new rod.
Well actually they never said free refills forever. Reading their legal stuff on their site they state that all those terms and conditions could change at any time without notice and that there could be refill charges at “some locations”. So Fuel rod possibly adding the costs was part of the agreement everyone who bought an initial one agreed to. Lawyers are great at hiding that stuff in all the fine print legalize no one reads.

And I agree, it was a very bad business model but it would appear from the legalize that was never meant to be permanent.

Tom P.

Well actually they never said free refills forever. Reading their legal stuff on their site they state that all those terms and conditions could change at any time without notice and that there could be refill charges at “some locations”. So Fuel rod possibly adding the costs was part of the agreement everyone who bought an initial one agreed to. Lawyers are great at hiding that stuff in all the fine print legalize no one reads.

And I agree, it was a very bad business model but it would appear from the legalize that was never meant to be permanent.
But what did it say on the kiosks in the park? You didn't have to go to a web site and agree to the terms of service to get a FuelRod out of the kiosk.

bUU

I'm not denying that.

Why spend $30 on a poor quality battery when you can spend $40ish on a larger capacity battery that's a bit larger (in size) and support faster charge rates? Only reason I can find is if you're stuck and absolutely need a charge.
Precisely, and every retail establishment, kiosk, cart, etc., at WDW carries with it a proportionate location and convenience premium. It is, and will always be, and should always be most prudent to purchase whatever electronic devices you'll need before your trip and bring them with you.

GusEzra

I never considered one of these even the free swap i was leery of the quality I always carried an anker one and while in the Magic Kingdom I would stop off near the Rapunzel bathroom and top everything off while we too our a potty break. and just recently they put in usb ports in the shop outside Space Mountain so there are 2 places now in MK to charge a device.

Polydweller

But what did it say on the kiosks in the park? You didn't have to go to a web site and agree to the terms of service to get a FuelRod out of the kiosk.
Why would you? It’s like everything else that you buy you get the legalize when you buy it. Use the item thanks the terms.

flynnibus

Premium Member

No, it's just a business model that is predicted on customers not exercising the right. It's why so many products can offer 'lifetime warranties' - you just make it more difficult to redeem than it is to benefit from.

The fuel rod product is a product completely predicated on the idea of a 'customer in need... now'. The refills are just a way to help justify the price point and to offset the extremely low end capacity so your products are dirt cheap. The idea is they are selling someone a fee to have recharges for a period of time... like your day at the amusement park, or your vacation.

The price point of the sale is expected that you will just throw away the fuel rod.

The model is predicated on the idea that your customer on their next encounter.. probably doesn't have that fuel rod they bought last time they were here... and they are stuck again.. so they buy again. It's not intended to be something people hold onto and continue to keep using for long periods of time.

Problem becomes is when you have large numbers of customers that buck that trend.. and instead now are exercising that refill right more than they are expected to. Now.. instead of new sales, you are just shouldering costs supporting old sales.

I'd speculate that either some contract terms have expired and hence the company is able to flex some pricing changes... or... their modeling didn't account for the number of repeat visitors bringing their fuel rods back at WDW (due to APs or just people bucking the trends)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom