Frozen at Disney's Hollywood Studios for the summer?

ToTBellHop

Anything new at the Studios would be welcome. Perhaps this would also function as a test to see if a more permanent stage show or nighttime fireworks would be feasible and profitable (the latter is almost certainly the case).

jt04

Anything new at the Studios would be welcome. Perhaps this would also function as a test to see if a more permanent stage show or nighttime fireworks would be feasible and profitable (the latter is almost certainly the case).

I think it is possible they did not want to wait for the World Showcase version and are fast tracking this instead. Would not be suprised if the Norway project if shelved if DHS is going forward. They will also need more entertainment options at DHS if they are closing down venues for a major expansion. Everything if falling into place for SW sooner rather than later.

IMO.

RSoxNo1

Havent heard anything new about it either way, yes or no.

DHS desperately needs an infusion of some way to get people to stay later in the park. Lets say - for the sake of argument - that this happens and works? Merch will go through the roof. It will be ridiculous.

SWW proved that fireworks at DHS will hold the guests to park close.

Harry Potter was actual work. Ran all over that place. Uni PR really could have given us another 2 hours.
The problem is that if it is a half-@$$ed approach and it works than I can't see any sense of urgency to build more substantial attractions.

ToTBellHop

I think it is possible they did not want to wait for the World Showcase version and are fast tracking this instead. Would not be suprised if the Norway project if shelved if DHS is going forward. They will also need more entertainment options at DHS if they are closing down venues for a major expansion. Everything if falling into place for SW sooner rather than later.

IMO.
All signs point toward Frozen Maelstrom still. Mickey has a bit of a hard on for Frozen if you haven't noticed. Next it'll be Rock n Roller Coaster Starring Idina Menzel.

jt04

All signs point toward Frozen Maelstrom still. Mickey has a bit of a hard on for Frozen if you haven't noticed. Next it'll be Rock n Roller Coaster Starring Idina Menzel.

Meh. I think my hunch is right. They need relief for the wait times and crowds at the MK. DHS provides that quickly. The good news is that this may mean they have decided to go with a dedicated attraction for the IP in the long run rather than an overlay. This is what makes sense if the DHS rumor is true.

Cesar R M

Does Fantasmic not keep people in the park until close most nights? I'm not sure of park hours in the winter when Fantasmic is earlier, but I know how packed out that show is during the summer. I wonder how the fireworks might impact the timing of the Fantasmic shows, or vice versa.
most people leave after the first Fantasmic show imho.

Nubs70

But what about on nights when Fantasmic has two shows? Unless you have a FP for the second show, getting in with less than 30 minutes until showtime is difficult if not impossible most nights. If the first show ends at 9:30, and people are just making it out of there at 9:45 (takes forever to get out because it's so crammed), then people who go to the first show would be rushing to get to a good view of the fireworks by ten. If the fireworks are at ten, and last 15 minutes, the only people getting into the second show after the fireworks would be those with a FP.

Maybe they would only do one show of Fantasmic until the fireworks have run their season.

ETA : I forgot about SWW fireworks. Maybe I'm over thinking this.
I forgot about the second show. I would do the main fireworks after the last Fantasmic show of the day subject to permit regulations. This would offer the plus of attending 2 different firework shows per night along with keeping people in the park longer which makes more time to sell them stuff.

cw1982

most people leave after the first Fantasmic show imho.

Yeah, but on busy summer nights the first show ends in the last 30 minutes of park time anyway, so for all intents and purposes, those people are staying until closing. That's why I made a point to say I wasn't sure about park hours the rest of the year. But during the summer, Fantasmic does keep the crowd there until closing.

Cesar R M

But what about on nights when Fantasmic has two shows? Unless you have a FP for the second show, getting in with less than 30 minutes until showtime is difficult if not impossible most nights. If the first show ends at 9:30, and people are just making it out of there at 9:45 (takes forever to get out because it's so crammed), then people who go to the first show would be rushing to get to a good view of the fireworks by ten. If the fireworks are at ten, and last 15 minutes, the only people getting into the second show after the fireworks would be those with a FP.

Maybe they would only do one show of Fantasmic until the fireworks have run their season.

ETA : I forgot about SWW fireworks. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

The fantasmic area is elevated, so I think you would be able to see the fireworks from a vantage point (albeit farther ) as you leave the theatre.

drew81

what if they are just cloning what is expected to be used for the broadway show?

I guess it's possible if it was scaled down. That theater is not equipped for a real Broadway show though. There is no fly rail and stage automation would be tough. If the stage required floor automation I would assume a custom built deck would be required and those are not cheap.

Cesar R M

The problem is that if it is a half-@$$ed approach and it works than I can't see any sense of urgency to build more substantial attractions.
like a "temporal venue"? converting a temporal thing into a permanent for almost a decade (like the festival of the lion king area)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They will also need more entertainment options at DHS if they are closing down venues for a major expansion. Everything if falling into place for SW sooner rather than later.
You forgot Indy is now seven months overdue to close and still no sign of it happening.

The numerous aborted attempts at expanding Pixar Place since 2008 shows the park is years beyond needing help.

Last edited:

cw1982

The fantasmic area is elevated, so I think you would be able to see the fireworks from a vantage point (albeit farther ) as you leave the theatre.

Maybe, maybe not. Seems like there were a lot of trees in the area that makes up the entrance/exit area for Fantasmic.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this all pans out.

tinkerblonde11

I like the idea of a stage show much more than a ride... especially a ride replacing Maelstrom. Whenever I hear the Maelstrom rumor I feel sick. Frozen is great to bring in guests but a ride there would clog Norway so much, along with getting rid of a really fun classic ride. A stage show and M&G in DHS would be perfect. Guests get to meet the princesses then see them singing and telling a story in action. Kids would especially love that I'm sure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom