Frozen 2 Reactions: SPOILERS

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thoroughly enjoyable.

People complained that a Broadway class performer like Groff never got a musical number in the first movie. Well... the fans got what they asked for... they got.. a number. Cheeky!

This is a sequel which really ties up all loose ends: the source of Elsa's powers. And it made dead characters significantly advance the plot without it be all hand-wavy. Excellent.

Into the Unknown is the new ear worm for me.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Made it through the movie without tearing up - then the credits began and somehow Brendon Urie got me. Agreed that Into the Unknown is a serious earworm!

I loved Elsa's and Anna's respective developments by the end of the film, as well as Olaf's comic relief. He actually went on a journey, provided one of the movie's warmest moments, and scored a lot of laughs at the same time.

One more thing - while Into the Unknown is the song from a marketing perspective (which it certainly deserves), Show Yourself feels like the spiritual successor to Let It Go, and it's amazing. Such great harmonies and powerful vocals: it truly pushes Elsa's transformation to another level.

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

Somehow it’s even worse than the first. Very predictable. Can guess it all by the trailers. I was waiting for a twist, a turn, a villain, anything- and we got nothing. Even at the end, I was truly thinking, this isn’t the end, there’s got to be more... but nope. My kids (8 & 4) loved it. I thought it was pretty to look at but overall the writing and storyline was a big miss.

CJR

We all enjoyed it a lot. Definitely a big improvement over Disney's old direct to video sequels. A lot of good character development and taking us somewhere new while a little bit of familiarity was tossed in.

And they gave me the middle finger by putting a "Let it Go" cameo in the movie (I had said for a while that some people won't like it since the song wouldn't be in the movie). Although it still wasn't in full.

Lots of great moments and if you go just wanting to be entertained, it's great at that. You can find negative points, sure, but overall it's a decent follow up to a decent Disney film that brought much deserved attention to Walt's studio.

Fox&Hound

My family and I loved it. I didn't find the songs to be amazing, but, don't hate me, I didn't love the songs in the first one. I loved the world building and the character's evolutions. Olaf's humor was amazing, and I liked the ending with Elsa giving the kingdom to Anna- I feel like it made her "I want to go off and live in an ice castle" thought process in the first one made more sense- like she was made for the wild. I still don't quite understand the implications of her being the fifth element or what her powers really are but I truly enjoyed it.

I thought for sure it would be a seasonal theme and they would be up against an Autumn villain and the following movie would be spring and they would end with a cliffhanger of "who is the summer villain?" and you would see fire light in Anna's eyes. That was my epic idea, at least =)

No Name

I’m typically not hard to please when it comes to movies, because they tend to be relatively high-quality storytelling, but I found Frozen 2’s storyline to be forced and unnecessary. The progression was good, the magical sequences were beautiful, but it’s a shame that there was nothing of substance behind it. Not only was the story consistently extraneous, I couldn’t identify any real themes or purpose, which is particularly unusual for Disney animated films. The constant theme I gathered is “why do I care?”

Olaf was well-written though and gave me a few good laughs. Elsa could use a few more pounds and a summer tan... she doesn’t look healthy or human and I’m sure I’m alone in that thought. I also wish she and Anna were stronger characters mentally.

But overall, I felt the story was no more powerful than that of a Disney parks projection show. Kind of ironic because the movie often looked like a nighttime spectacular, and soon after this thought hit me, Elsa literally watched projections in some ice cave.

DisneyDreamer08

I was waiting for a twist or something exciting in relation to the characters in the enchanted forest. My two ideas- Kristof (whose past we still know nothing about) somehow escaped the enchanted forest as a kid with baby Sven. I truly thought Ryder would end up being his brother (otherwise, what was the point in introducing that character?) and that Kristof would meet his long lost parents.
Idea 2- when Elsa & Anna found their parents shipwreck, I truly thought her parents somehow washed up in the enchanted forest and were alive & they would be reunited 🤷‍♀️

I feel like there was no exciting Ah Ha! moment anywhere in the movie.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
It seemed to me that Disney was very purposeful in trying to tie Frozen back to Norwegian culture. Maybe even heavy handed. And they added the boat drop like in the ride. I don't know.... to me, the movie screamed "I want to show you I belong in Epcot"

But I thought it was cute. And the kid loved it. And we both laughed a lot.

Phicinfan

if anything, i did get a kick out of olaf’s recap of the events from the first movie. good for a few laughs.
As I watched this I was thinking back to all the youtube videos my Daughter has shown me on the Frozen show with "Dan" at DHS. It had alot of his jokes, and we noticed in the credits that he was involved in some of the writing.

My daughter loved the movie, I am with some here I liked the music much better in this version. Of course I like Weezer too so there you go

I thought it was very good, and different enough that it had a bit of a different vibe to me.

My only question now is, what are those who believe that Anna and Ilsa's parents were Tarzan's parents will do now? ;)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
As I watched this I was thinking back to all the youtube videos my Daughter has shown me on the Frozen show with "Dan" at DHS. It had alot of his jokes, and we noticed in the credits that he was involved in some of the writing.

My daughter loved the movie, I am with some here I liked the music much better in this version. Of course I like Weezer too so there you go

I thought it was very good, and different enough that it had a bit of a different vibe to me.

My only question now is, what are those who believe that Anna and Ilsa's parents were Tarzan's parents will do now? ;)

The theory I've heard wasn't Tarzan, it was Rapunzel. That they were traveling to Rapunzel and Eugene's wedding because Rapunzels mom was the sister of Elsa's dad

Animaniac93-98

This is a sequel which really ties up all loose ends: the source of Elsa's powers.

Maybe it's a sign of our culture constantly releasing superhero origin stories, but I never understood the obsession and frustration with not know the full details of where Elsa got her powers.

It's not important to the first movie. The first movie is about how Elsa feels and is treated for having powers at all. It's a metaphor for being different and worrying about rejection. That's what is important, not the superficial details of a fairy tale universe.

Nobody asks where did the Fairy Godmother get her powers. Or The Blue Fairy. Or Merlin. Or Genie. They just have them and as an audience we used to be able to accept that without question.

Disneyfanman

The three of us really liked the film. My wife thought it was better than Frozen 1 which is high praise from her. The music was better overall, although nothing will stick in your brains. It had more of a classic broadway feel to it; which I appreciate. They balanced the use of Olaf well. He could have been a real problem if they had let him take over the film. Plot wise it felt like a fantasy video game, and I mean that as a complement. I would place it among the best sequels that I have ever seen and a solid A- overall. Worth seeing and has a different tone than the first one. They should stop at 2 films.

PopCentury

My gf and I really liked the movie.

The only problems I have with the movie was the pacing and too many breaks to sing songs. I enjoyed listening to the songs more during the credits than during the film. I still can't believe Weezer produced the song that Kristoff sang lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom