News Frontierland Shootin' Arcade Re-opening as Free Experience

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
Apologies if I just missed this somewhere, but I thought this was pretty cool and was certainly news to me. Definitely welcome news with everything else going on lately. I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

I'm guessing nobody told Bob.

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
This is honestly one of my fave things at MK, can’t wait to see it next time I’m there

Same here! It's just such a classic WDW thing, something they would never build today.

Glad to see it reopen.

I can't believe they not only reopened it, but made it free! I really figured it was a goner.

doctornick

I can't believe they not only reopened it, but made it free! I really figured it was a goner.

Cynically, I feel like opening it and making it free was something they did just as a counterpoint to any "greedy" arguments - "sure, they are charging you for fastpasses, but they opened up the Shooting Arcade for free"

Speaking of free stuff, would be nice if they re-started Treasures of the Seven Seas as well.

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
Hey! This is the first GOOD news I've heard about the 50th Celebration!

Isn't it sad? This is the thing that's excited me the most so far. 😂

Cynically, I feel like opening it and making it free was something they did just as a counterpoint to any "greedy" arguments - "sure, they are charging you for fastpasses, but they opened up the Shooting Arcade for free"

Speaking of free stuff, would be nice if they re-started Treasures of the Seven Seas as well.

You're probably not wrong lol.

JoeCamel

Maybe the paywall kept so many from playing it didn't make sense for a CM to stand there watching people not play?
Might make more sense to make it free and have the CM visit once in a while to see what is broken. The DVC people could do that but they might not like such a menial assignment as working park ops

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
Maybe the paywall kept so many from playing it didn't make sense for a CM to stand there watching people not play?
Might make more sense to make it free and have the CM visit once in a while to see what is broken. The DVC people could do that but they might not like such a menial assignment.

I'm also curious to see if they keep it staffed now. With digital guns and no paywall, there really isn't a reason to, honestly.

castlecake2.0

I'm also curious to see if they keep it staffed now. With digital guns and no paywall, there really isn't a reason to, honestly.
It was never really staffed before, there was a change machine. I’m sure it was part of a frontierland ops park opening checklist somewhere, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cm positioned there in the last 15 years. Sidebar, the last few times I’ve been at MK they’ve had a greeter at Swiss family treehouse, which used to be a super rare sight, but also seemed to hall attract people to it? I’d be interested to see the turnstile clicks difference between having and not having a cm positioned there. It must catch people’s attention and help them realize it’s something they can do when there is a person standing there.

Castle Cake Apologist

Original Poster
It was never really staffed before, there was a change machine. I’m sure it was part of a frontierland ops park opening checklist somewhere, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cm positioned there in the last 15 years. Sidebar, the last few times I’ve been at MK they’ve had a greeter at Swiss family treehouse, which used to be a super rare sight, but also seemed to hall attract people to it? I’d be interested to see the turnstile clicks difference between having and not having a cm positioned there. It must catch people’s attention and help them realize it’s something they can do when there is a person standing there.

Oh, that's really interesting - I didn't know that they hadn't been staffing it anymore. Kinda sad, Disney used to position a CM even in places they weren't needed.

That's fantastic to hear that they've had greeters at the Treehouse again! Even when I started in Ops back in 2007, it was rare to see somebody rotated there.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Oh, that's really interesting - I didn't know that they hadn't been staffing it anymore. Kinda sad, Disney used to position a CM even in places they weren't needed.

That's fantastic to hear that they've had greeters at the Treehouse again! Even when I was in Ops back in 2007/2008, it was rare to see somebody rotated there.
Yah the last three times I walked by there was someone there, it was nice to see!

When I was ops in Canada we used to have a position called “promenade greeter” when we had enough people to put it in rotation but most people treated it as “break room” lol. Shootin arcade might be same situation.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I do see this is a net positive for Disney.

The last few times I tried it, I would have issues with one of the guns not working. So between people complaining in the nearby gift shop (possibly?) if no CM is staffed there, issues with using/refilling the change machines and if the gun doesn't work you can just move to the next one and not feel like you lost money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom