From Wisconsin to Orlando for a week... Driving for the first time...

mouselvrmom

Since this is our first time driving, I'm unfamiliar with the tolls. Does anyone know how much the tolls cost? Do they only take quarters?

wouldrichest

You would need a huge van for 7 people and luggage. They aren't cheap to rent. There may also be a charge for taking it out of state. IMHO, you probably won't save that much vs. flying.
BD
We live in Northern Illinois and prefer to drive, just for the cost savings factor. But we are a family of three, and have a travel bubble for the roof. We always take our own car so we never rent.

Is taking your own personal vehicles out of the question, because I dont see you all fitting in one vehicle for that long and with luggage, you guys would kill each other... Why not each family take their own car, and caravan down together. This way kids wont get on each others nerves and what not. Even if you had to rent a car I would think renting two mid size would still be cheaper than renting a larger van. While we prefer to drive that just works for our family, my daughter does well in car, and we leave about 2:30 in the afternoon and get to disney about 10am. I drive straight thru and we usually stay for 11 -14 nights so its not like I feel that I have to turn around and drive home right away. Only you know your family make up, and how they will handle the trip, but since your 12months out still keep an eye on airfare, and maybe it may even be worth traveling to a larger city airport a few hours away.

yensid67

Good morning all!

Looking at all sorts of things while planning our vacation, 12 months out lol.

The situation:

Normally, our family flies. Then again, last time we went it was just my wife, our daughter, and me :) This time however, our newest addition (who is almost 2 already!) will have her first trip to the world.

On top of that, we are going with some family who have never been there before, and they are bringing their 4 year old.

We kicked around the idea of flying, but since we are all trying to pinch pennies and such (more souveniers for the kids after all), we brought up the idea of renting a van and driving down together.

Now, I'm a car rental nub. i never rent cars, even when I go on business. I always get a taxi or a towncar service. So i've never experienced this before, or even know where to look.

Does anyone know of a service for renting a car fit for 7 people and luggage on a cross-country trip? Or are we crazy (potentially. We do live in Wisconsin afterall). We would be willing to drive down, then do a seperate rental to drive back if needed. Any advice or tools would be appreciated :)

:wave: abe bb:

Just a quick note and a few tips. I have driven the road from PA to WDW many times. A good tip I figured out on my second trip was to drive for 4-6 hours at a time, depending on the total hours and then stop and fill/top off the gas, grab a snack and drinks, take a bathroom break, and stretch. Make each stop about 30 minutes to have enough time to do everything. Then hope back in the vehicle and continue for another 4-6 hours. I found that I was not as tired once I got to WDW and was OK to go until it was time to go to bed!
Also, for a rental car, Alamo has a good variety of vehicles that might accommodate 7 people. check them out use Corp ID #7013904 for a discount rate! I don't know what type of discount you will get, but I know with renting a car from Alamo, its usually 30%!
I just read you most recent post and it sounds like you have a solid plan! Be careful and have a safe and fun and MAGICAL trip!:sohappy:

Say Hi to Mickey and the gang, for me!:ROFLOL:

GoofyMickey

My Fiance and I will be making the same trip. Driving from Appleton, WI to Orlando in Sept. for our honeymoon! He keeps saying that he will drive straight through but i keep telling him no. I was just curious what people do on a road trip that long? I'm a very antsy person and i don't want to annoy him to much...any suggestions?:shrug:

bjlc57

Birmingham or Valdosta Georgia..

if you live in Appleton you should travel about to either Birmingham or Valdosta, Georgia.. the first day.. and then get to WDW the next day.. its a 21 hour plus drive from the south side of Milwaukee..
its too much for one day. it just is, no matter how much adrenaline you have.. and you will never make it back in one day.. NO WAY..

and as for what you should do... Listen.. if you can't talk about something important between the two of you most of the trip, maybe its time for some one else..
my wife and I can not wait to travel together to discuss things that we just don't have time to around the house.. we found it one of the building blocks of our relationship very early in our marriage 31 years ago..

and if you are just going to sleep the whole way.. well I would rather drive alone then have some one sleep for 12 hours.. and not be with me..

that's not to say that you can't sleep.. Trust me.. the first time going over LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN IN CHATTANOGA, I had a truck full of "dead bodies" to assist me.. and there were times that I slept for a couple of hours as well..

but really .. if you really don't have enough in common to talk.. you need to look at your relationship..

Tazer19

Wow... you got all of that from her 2 line post?

GoofyMickey - I've done the trip a handful of times and with only 2 people in such a small space, there's going to be a time or two when someone gets on the other's nerves. Besides just normal conversation, grab a couple of books, portable DVD (not for the driver :) ) and enjoy the ride. There's nothing overly spectacular about the drive down, but once you get through Indiana there's enough to look at in KY/TN/GA/FL.

bjlc57

I concur with the last post.. but if you leave Appleton at 3 am .. get to Chi-town before 6 am.. you will be through Indiana before it really gets light.. about the time that you would stop for Breakfest, you will be well into Indiana.. and from there.. its great scenery all the way..

GoofyMickey

tazer thanks for the ideas of some stuff to do...like i said I'm an antsy person and will need something to do

as for bjlc :confused: i was looking for some ideas of what to do on a long road trip not marriage advice. I'm a multitasker...i never said we dont have stuff to talk about but i need ideas of what else to do other than talk. im sorry for asking a simple question to fellow Wisconsinites.

Tazer19

tazer thanks for the ideas of some stuff to do...like i said I'm an antsy person and will need something to do

as for bjlc :confused: i was looking for some ideas of what to do on a long road trip not marriage advice. I'm a multitasker...i never said we dont have stuff to talk about but i need ideas of what else to do other than talk. im sorry for asking a simple question to fellow Wisconsinites.
We were talking about this tonight and agreed the portable DVD player w/headphones is awesome since the driver can still listen to music.

PS - Congrats on getting married!!

cemeb4dk

Congrats on the wedding. We have done the drive from the western burbs of Chicago many times, and straight thru. With no problems, granted when you arrive you are dead tired but it can be done. Even with children, I pods sat radio, dvd players, all make it an easier trip. PLus the scenary as you go. As far as the other person I would be more worried if you two could talk for 20+ hours straight together.:ROFLOL::ROFLOL:. You can always stop at the Fl state line around Lake city and sleep then get up and you'll be at the world in a a few hours and rested for the day. Either way you choose enjoy, and I wish you many years of happiness. My wife and I honeymooned at the world 8 years ago and bought into dvc on our honeymoon.

Dwarful

We make the drive frequently..sometimes two or three times per year. We are coming from Illinois..but across from St. Louis. We have had as many as 7 people in a minivan and made it just fine. On the way down you are hyped to get to WDW on the way home everyone but the driver is asleep! lol. Seriously, our trip two weeks ago cost us a total of 5 tanks of gas (2 each way and one running around WDW area) some food and toll money. We always use the luggage carrier and pack a cooler and snacks in the van. We drive straight through, but its only about 16 hours. This last trip we left in the evening...we made it 8 hours before needed gasoline and I woke everyone up to use the restroom....we made such great time that trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom