Trip Report From Disney to Jacksonville

This is my first attempt at posting one of our trips with pics. If I flame out, I apologize. Just trying to be part of the community and share. Anyway, as usual, we planned this thing last minute. In August, we bought into DVC, and this would be our maiden voyage. Because we didn't book out long enough, we had to do a split stay at Saratoga and Boardwalk; no problem. The problem was because we were arriving at midnight on a Wednesday, we needed somewhere else to stay from 1:00 AM to about 11:00 AM when we could check into Saratoga. We found a place on 192 with not so good reviews but it was a shower and a bed with free continental breakfast. The main reason we planned this trip was that so my soon-to-be speech therapist daughter who has accepted a contract position in Jacksonville could check out apartments. Thur - Sat -- Disney. Sun -- Universal. Mon -- Jacksonville, then back home in PA.
This was at the rental car counter in MCO at 12:30 AM. A little wet.

IMG_0127.JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
The next day, Saturday, would be an early start as well. (My daughter was not liking this one bit). We were getting up to try and get into a group for Rise of the Resistance. My wife practiced the task for weeks. We hit the gates for 7:10 AM. We also had brunch reservations at Art Smith's Homecomin'. We were hoping to get both accomplished, and we did. We got into group 40, and we made our reservation for 9:30AM !

IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_E0252.JPG

The Southern Mary. A meal by itself. I have never finished one.

IMG_E0253.JPG

Church Lady deviled eggs

IMG_0254.JPG

Bee Haven Bay fried green tomatoes. The wife doesn't like tomatoes, but she loves these !
After an Art Smith brunch you're pretty much done eating until a late dinner.

Last edited:

macefamily

Original Poster
Things worked out perfectly. After a bit of drama at 8:00AM, my wife managed to get us into a RotR group. We were group 40. That gave us enough time to hit Disney Springs for a 9:40 AM Art Smith's brunch. We waddled out of there at 10:30 AM, and our group was ready to be called around 1:00 PM giving us enough time to return to the park and get in line. We were actually a little late. Our wait time was around 30 minutes until we got to the action.

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
We checked out of Saratoga and checked into Boardwalk. I liked both, but I really liked the proximity of Boardwalk to Hollywood Studios. As usual, I was the early riser and I was out walking around Sunday morning. It was the only day my wife and daughter could sleep in, but we turned the clocks ahead Saturday night so it wasn't much of a respite.

IMG_0295.JPG

The view from just outside our pool area at the Boardwalk. The Swan is very close to us.

IMG_0296.JPG

The view from just outside our room at the Boardwalk.

macefamily

Original Poster
This little guy was jumping around the pool area.

IMG_E0298.JPG

After letting the family sleep in until 8:30 AM, I started making noise to wake them up.
We will spend our Sunday at Universal Studios. We will also take advantage of the
Extra Magic Hours at Hollywood Studios from 8:00PM to 10:00PM.
Going to be a long day.

macefamily

Original Poster
I really thought we were entering the perfect storm by visiting Universal on Sunday. Universal was a drop-off location for the nearby Arnold Palmer golf tournament so they had one of the garages closed off.
IMG_0299.JPG
w
The lines going into the pay booths were at least ten cars deep. However, when going into the parks it was surprisingly light. I think the locals stayed away knowing the golf tournament was going to mess things up.

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

winstongator

View attachment 456570

It's my first time in 25 years of visiting Disney that I can say I hit two brand new attractions on the same trip.
Runaway Railway was a pleasant surprise. My wife loved it. Fast Pass was still a 30 minute wait.
I also did Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway for the first time last Tuesday. Was an awesome day. I enjoyed both a bunch, and they are the highlights of DHS now.

macefamily

Original Poster
OK, I'm in the home stretch for this trip report. We're at day 4, Universal Studios and Extra Magic at Hollywood Studios. It was also the final day of the Bayhill Arnold Palmer Invitational which is right up the road from Universal. Ugh ! But we found out that it wasn't that bad afterall.
IMG_E0304.JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
Wait times were not excessive. Gringott's was 45, but we did single rider and walked right on. Same with Forbidden Journey. My daughter and I were second in line for single rider.
IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

RIP Rip Torn.

IMG_E0307.JPG

I haven't won MIB in about three years. I don't know how my daughter does it, but she
usually scores 700,000 - 900,000. I'm lucky to hit 300,000.

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
In the title I mention Jacksonville. Well, that was part of our schedule on this visit. My daughter accepted a speech therapist position at a school district near Jacksonville so we would spend our Monday driving to Jacksonville to look at apartments, and drive back to Orlando airport for a 6:30 PM flight back to PA. It was hectic, but we survived. We'll be coming back this summer to help move my daughter in.
But for now, we had two more hours of Disney and we were going to make the most of it.

IMG_E0327.JPG

IMG_E0335.JPG

Last edited:

macefamily

Original Poster
We raced around Hollywood Studios trying to get the most out of our two hours. We never have done Slinky Dog, but the wait time was still 60 minutes. We decided against it and walked right on Toy Story Mania. One of the CM's commented on my daughter's backpack which is a Coach Disney bag. They exchanged some humorous banter and another CM also chimed in. They were great; Chad and Kathleen who were both from NY. We rode the ride, and as soon as we finished we were pulled off of the ride and put right back in line in the front for another ride. Thanks to Chad and Kathleen ! They made some Magic for us on our last evening at Disney.

IMG_E0329.JPG
IMG_E0328.JPG

macefamily

Original Poster
We got off Tower of Terror and started our melancholy exit from Hollywood Studios knowing it was the end of our March journey. I feel lucky now knowing what happened just a week after our visit; a full Disney closure. As we exited down Sunset Blvd., something caught my eye which was a fitting tribute to the end of our trip. A cast member did something special which touched our hearts.

IMG_E0339.JPG

See you real soon !!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom