From Deluxe to Moderate.

dave&di

We normally stay at a deluxe every 2 years but the urge to return to WDW is too much so we plan on staying at a Moderate resort once a year instead!

We have stayed at the GF, Poly and WL.

We are thinking of staying at Coranado Springs, what differences can we expect to notice from our past resorts? Is there really any differences, what will the Coranado Springs not provide that the deluxes do?

Will it be a shock to our systems!!!!

njDizFan

I think it's worth it if you can double your WDW trips. I personally love Port Orleans, its nice and seculed and has some great theming. Also I noticed that AKL is somewhere between the more expensive deluxes and a moderate. You will be missing out on signature restaurants and maybe a more dynamic pool but depending on how you do your park/resort expereince it may not be much of a downgrade.

The theming isn't quite so grand and the pool not quite as big and the meal options smaller. Also you don't have a room with inside access.

when you were there last you should have done a little resort hopping to see for yourself..fun way to pass a half day

Upvote 0

EpcotCenter82

We normally stay at a deluxe every 2 years but the urge to return to WDW is too much so we plan on staying at a Moderate resort once a year instead!

We are thinking of staying at Coranado Springs, what differences can we expect to notice from our past resorts? Is there really any differences, what will the Coranado Springs not provide that the deluxes do?

One of the biggest differences between the deluxe and moderate resorts is that the rooms at the moderates do not have private balconies. The entrance to the rooms is from an outside hallway, not from the inside. They are set up more like motels instead of hotels. So when you're in your room, if you keep the blinds/curtains open, people can see into your room. Also the rooms at the moderates are smaller, about 315 square feet as compared to roughly 400 square feet for the deluxes.

I've been staying at the moderates for about five years, usually either POFQ or POR. I really enjoy both of these resorts. As far as I'm concerned, it's a place to sleep. At one time, I stayed at a deluxe almost every year but Disney has priced me out of the deluxe resorts, as least for annual trips.

Upvote 0

dave&di

Original Poster
I think it's worth it if you can double your WDW trips. I personally love Port Orleans, its nice and seculed and has some great theming. Also I noticed that AKL is somewhere between the more expensive deluxes and a moderate. You will be missing out on signature restaurants and maybe a more dynamic pool but depending on how you do your park/resort expereince it may not be much of a downgrade.

The theming isn't quite so grand and the pool not quite as big and the meal options smaller. Also you don't have a room with inside access.

when you were there last you should have done a little resort hopping to see for yourself..fun way to pass a half day
The fact that we will be able to go yearly is worth the downgrade as you say! I'm not fussed about pools or fine dining so thats ok!

We didn't get the time to visit any but that's a good idea!
One of the biggest differences between the deluxe and moderate resorts is that the rooms at the moderates do not have private balconies. The entrance to the rooms is from an outside hallway, not from the inside. They are set up more like motels instead of hotels. So when you're in your room, if you keep the blinds/curtains open, people can see into your room. Also the rooms at the moderates are smaller, about 315 square feet as compared to roughly 400 square feet for the deluxes.

I've been staying at the moderates for about five years, usually either POFQ or POR. I really enjoy both of these resorts. As far as I'm concerned, it's a place to sleep. At one time, I stayed at a deluxe almost every year but Disney has priced me out of the deluxe resorts, as least for annual trips.
We can only really stay at the cheapest Mod which my OH tells me is Coranado Springs? But I've always liked the look of Riverside.
So do no Mods have Balconies???? I do love my balconies! :eek:

Upvote 0

Mukta

The differences between deluxes and moderates that matter to me are:

Moderates are set up like motels. No indoor hallways. All room doors are outside of a building.
No closet, just a space with a rod to hang things.
Only bus transportation to the theme parks.
Rooms are smaller.
They have more rooms, so they just seem busier to me somehow.
No Signature/fine dining.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Well, I'm spoiled now w/ Deluxe. But, if we want to go every year, then it has to be value or moderate. I love Wilderness Lodge the best so far. Poly is nice, beautiful, and convenient. So, our next trip will be Beach Club in 2 years. If we like that best, then we will go every other year. I have enjoyed PORS as well as CBR.:)

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

We went from deluxe to moderate and it was not a huge difference. A little less theming and what others have said above. If we had a little more loose cash then deluxe is certainly nice and we definitely enjoyed Stormalong Bay but with a change of jobs for my wife we made some changes in budget. We are very happy at the mods for the small amount of time we spend there it seems well worth the price difference. If it means you can go more often the by all means go for it...once you are in the parks who really cares what resort you are sleeping at anyway?

Upvote 0

sacrosby

My husband and I stayed at POR last year. This year, we were able to do AKL. I agree with previous posters, it's mostly about dining, room size, balconies and theme. If you spend most of your time at the parks, those little extras are not such a big deal. But those little extras ( for some people) mean the difference between a good stay and a great stay! We really enjoyed POR. I've heard many ppl say its the nicest of the moderates.

Upvote 0

quirkle

I guess the balcony thing does not bother me, nor does the outside rooms - when I stay in WDW. I do not do outside hallways anywhere else.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

Its kind of ironic that if you stay in Deluxes usually, you see a few differences in the Moderates, but very little...
For people who normally stay at Moderates, the switch to a Deluxe seems almost inconsequential...I'm not sure most put together the balcony/indoor access thing at all because both are such non-issues at Moderates...
I personally think the only noticeable difference is the lack of fine dining options -- although that doesn't mean they don't have restaurants...Boatwrights at PORIV is quite good...
And while the Moderates might not have boats or monorails to the parks, PORIV and POFQ have boat transportation to Downtown Disney so its pretty much a fair tradeoff.

I will also chime in to say that Port Orleans (either Riv or FQ) are superior when it comes to theming and "feel" than any of the other Moderate resorts. Coronado Springs feels like a motel, and Carribean Beach is so spread out you are entirely dependent on busses even within the resort....

Upvote 0

sacrosby

Its kind of ironic that if you stay in Deluxes usually, you see a few differences in the Moderates, but very little...
For people who normally stay at Moderates, the switch to a Deluxe seems almost inconsequential...I'm not sure most put together the balcony/indoor access thing at all because both are such non-issues at Moderates...
I personally think the only noticeable difference is the lack of fine dining options -- although that doesn't mean they don't have restaurants...Boatwrights at PORIV is quite good...
And while the Moderates might not have boats or monorails to the parks, PORIV and POFQ have boat transportation to Downtown Disney so its pretty much a fair tradeoff.

I will also chime in to say that Port Orleans (either Riv or FQ) are superior when it comes to theming and "feel" than any of the other Moderate resorts. Coronado Springs feels like a motel, and Carribean Beach is so spread out you are entirely dependent on busses even within the resort....

Agreed! We really liked the boat at POR. A nice break from the bus. Lol!

Upvote 0

Skibum1970

I would also highly recommend Buzz's Unofficial Coronado Springs Resort website. I don't have the link but google it and it's easy to find. His site is awesome with pictures, maps, dining arrangements, and other useful information (not to mention beautiful pictures). I've stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and would also highly recommend it as well as Coronado Springs.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Never stayed at a deluxe,the extra £2000 for 14 days puts me off,($3500) Stayed at three mods,CBR,POFQ,PORS. Our favourite is riverside,and as far as the balcony goes,were never really at the room long enough to enjoy it.It's up,up,and away with us.The rooms for sleeping as far as we are concerned.:)

Upvote 0

dave&di

Original Poster
I guess the balcony thing does not bother me, nor does the outside rooms - when I stay in WDW. I do not do outside hallways anywhere else.
I must admit having a Balcony is important to me, I enjoying sitting on my balcony first thing in the morning, during a mid day break and especially last thing at night with an alcoholic beverage!!!!

BUT ..... I will easily sacrifice this for an extra vacation every year!!!!

Upvote 0

quirkle

I must admit having a Balcony is important to me, I enjoying sitting on my balcony first thing in the morning, during a mid day break and especially last thing at night with an alcoholic beverage!!!!

I'm with you. And like I said- WDW can make the outside entrance feel safe and charming. Anywhere else in the real world. Hell to the no.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Ah hah! A balcony drinker,it's the devils work I tell ya,next thing you'll be listening to rock n roll.;)

Upvote 0

sgtmgd

I
The fact that we will be able to go yearly is worth the downgrade as you say! I'm not fussed about pools or fine dining so thats ok!

We didn't get the time to visit any but that's a good idea!

We can only really stay at the cheapest Mod which my OH tells me is Coranado Springs? But I've always liked the look of Riverside.
So do no Mods have Balconies???? I do love my balconies! :eek:

We stayed at POFQ in a king bed room..all the king bed room are on corners which was nice and ours overlooked the river. This was the first Moderate Id stayed in over 10 years as we we planned a very spontanious Labor Day weekend getaway. The Boardwalk is our resort of choice and have a week long xmas 2013 trip already booked. The theming was fantastic and the room was very nice however if you are a Deluxe resort regular you will notice differences..for me it was the bed..hard as a rock it was.....and for me not particulaly comfortable...but as tired as you generally are after a long day at the parks...I slept well...just not as refreshed as usual..I would certainly stay there again for a short weekend stay...but will stick to deluxe and villas for longer trips.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom