Friendship Launch from DHS to Epcot

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I have never done it. For whatever reason despite using a hopper pass for most of my time at Disney I have never travelled on the boat. So can someone explain a bit about it? Is it like the ferry at the transportation center in MK? Does it just take you from one park to the other?

Also, the ones in Disney Springs is there an admission to them? I know the one in Epcot/DHS would be covered with your admission, but does it cost anything to ride around the boats in Disney Springs? How long are the rides?

Thanks.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I've stayed at the SWAN a number of times, and I find the Friendship Boats to be very convenient. They run about every 20 minutes, and just make a continuous loop between EPCOT and DHS. Along the route from EPCOT's International Gateway area, they stop at the Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach Club, Swan/Dolphin, and then DHS. It's a nice, leisurely ride. It's not a fast ride though, so keep that in mind. Each way, it takes approx. 25 minutes for the full distance.

There's no charge; it's part of WDW's transportation system.

I'm not familiar with the boats in Disney Springs, so I can't comment on those.

Mickey5150

None of the transportation boats charge admission. The Friendship boats don't enter the parks so you don't need a ticket to ride. Anyone can ride any Disney Springs boat for free.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
None of the transportation boats charge admission. The Friendship boats don't enter the parks so you don't need a ticket to ride. Anyone can ride any Disney Springs boat for free.

I didn't realize that. Looks like the boat from DHS is prior to the entrance and it goes to the one in Epcot just at the edge of the World Showcase near France.

iluvMainStMagic

I didn't realize that. Looks like the boat from DHS is prior to the entrance and it goes to the one in Epcot just at the edge of the World Showcase near France.

This is correct - the docks for the Friendship boats's are outside DHS & Epcot's World Showcase (the WS one is just outside the International Gateway entrance/gate, which is located between UK & France). Plus, something that I think is nice about the Friendship boats is that all or most of the seating is "inside", and therefore out of the rain/heat/cold.... in case it's raining/chilly/hot outside.
Also, part of the length of the trip between parks is because it includes a couple of stops in the Crescent Lake-BoardWalk area. Just fyi in case you are interested in visiting those areas, too.

Cmdr_Crimson

Want a great time waster...This is it...I really enjoy the boat ride from DHS To Epcot if I'm not in a hurry and want to sit and enjoy the sites.

Worldlover71

Something to keep in mind is that the boats do not operate if there is lightning in the area. They have to wait 20 minutes after the last lighting strike before they can start again. If there is another strike at minute 19, they reset the clock.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

It's an all around great ride, a bit of a duration but if your not in a rush it's an awesome ride, going past swan dolphin and under those bridges is an awesome site. I love that ride.

nickys

Premium Member
It's probably going to be close.

I agree with that. If it was a direct line from park to park, then the gondola would be quicker. With the change at CBR, it becomes a toss up - and it will probably depend on whether a boat is there, ready to go just after you board. Testimg it out with a race from gate to gate will be fun to do, I can see my family trying it :D !

The Empress Lilly

That boat takes forever. It's a nice leisurely ride though, I love all boats at WDW. When hot it's a greenhouse.

I prefer walking, but twenty minutes of powerwalking in the Florida heat means I'm drenched upon arrival.

Both options leaving me cooked, in practice I end up taking the bus between both parks, except when the gateway area half of WS is my start/finish point.

DVC4bestvacations

That boat takes forever. It's a nice leisurely ride though, I love all boats at WDW. When hot it's a greenhouse.

I prefer walking, but twenty minutes of powerwalking in the Florida heat means I'm drenched upon arrival.

Both options leaving me cooked, in practice I end up taking the bus between both parks, except when the gateway area half of WS is my start/finish point.

The Friendship boats between EPCOT and HS are air conditioned. Green House? The boat to and from DS and hotels are not.

Allym146

We took the boat from Epcot to HS for the first time on our trip last week. It was nice! If it weren't for my nieces urgent need for a bathroom that caused us to get off at swan and dolphin it wouldn't have taken more than 20-25 minutes. We were not in a rush to get there anyway though.

I agree it did seem air conditioned, it wasn't freezing like the buses so we were actually very comfortable.

trainplane3

The Friendship boats between EPCOT and HS are air conditioned. Green House? The boat to and from DS and hotels are not.
The second time (mid/late summer 2016) I rode a Friendship boat between Epcot and HS, the AC wasn't working. When the AC doesn't work in those boats, it is literally a greenhouse. They probably got a busted AC unit in theirs.

Texas84

At Disney Springs a Water Taxi runs between Westside and the Marketplace. They also have boats to Port Orleans, Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. All no charge.

Now any OTHER boat you see, there is a charge.

Maelstrom Troll

Its quicker to walk than to take the boats, but I know walking isn't always a viable option for some. A more enjoyable boat ride is down the Sassagoula River from Disney Springs to any of the resorts.

It's a great ride but we did it at night, in February and it was probably the coldest I've ever been at WDW.

mergatroid

At Disney Springs a Water Taxi runs between Westside and the Marketplace. They also have boats to Port Orleans, Old Key West and Saratoga Springs. All no charge.

Now any OTHER boat you see, there is a charge

Was going to say that too, not every boat at DS is free.

amykay9377

This is also true of ANY boat going to or from ANY resort or park. Many years ago, after our first Disney trip (which got us hooked), we were too broke to continue going to WDW, so we would spend a day doing all the free stuff. We'd park at a resort and tour it. We'd ride the resort monorail then transfer over to the Epcot monorail - this gave us glimpses of both parks. We'd go to a different resort and have lunch, or a snack, maybe ride the Friendship boats to and from DHS, or go over to Disney Springs for lunch/snack. We'd ride boats from Downtown Disney to one of the resorts, and then back. Later in the day we'd go over to the Poly and watch the fireworks before heading home. It was a nice day of being NEAR the magic but not paying for it. It got me through some hard times (we've been passholders since 2011, but I still love a good Near Magic day!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom