News Friendship Boats Beginning Service Soon from Epcot Resorts?

GholsHost

Original Poster
My DH and I were walking the Boardwalk this afternoon and saw 2 friendship boats docked at Boardwalk Inn. A number of skippers on the dock and one of the boats appeared to be practicing docking.
A5D3AB31-E830-4966-8124-60A1A572EE62.jpeg

TrainsOfDisney

My DH and I were walking the Boardwalk this afternoon and saw 2 friendship boats docked at Boardwalk Inn. A number of skippers on the dock and one of the boats appeared to be practicing docking. View attachment 507877
Great to see this. No reason they weren’t running before except to save $$$ but better late than never!

Last edited:

LastoneOn

Great to see this. No reason they weren’t running befor except to save $$$ but better late than never!
If there isn't demand, why waste money. The boats aren't the only way around. Would you rather them run around a bunch of empty or near empty boats, or spend on attraction construction and maintenance? Something has to give.

TrainsOfDisney

If there isn't demand, why waste money. The boats aren't the only way around. Would you rather them run around a bunch of empty or near empty boats, or spend on attraction construction and maintenance? Something has to give.
I would like them to provide a service that is advertised for their resort guests. That’s all. Either way, I’m glad they are back.

Now please remember this is a free floating vessel and we do have a tendency to bounce around from time to time especially when docking!

Jon81uk

I would like them to provide a service that is advertised for their resort guests. That’s all. Either way, I’m glad they are back.

Now please remember this is a free floating vessel and we do have a tendency to bounce around from time to time especially when docking!

It's not being advertised as a service.
This is from Disney's site for Boardwalk resort
1603445876256.png

muddyrivers

I'm wondering if the boats were there for training to keep the pilots "recent". I don't know how the nautical industry works but airline pilots need to perform a landing I believe every 90 days. So even if a particular airplane for an airline isn't flying, pilots still need to go up and land the plane to keep their type rating for when the plane eventually does return to service.

If boat pilots need to do the same, that may have been what you were observing.

Kamikaze

I'm wondering if the boats were there for training to keep the pilots "recent". I don't know how the nautical industry works but airline pilots need to perform a landing I believe every 90 days. So even if a particular airplane for an airline isn't flying, pilots still need to go up and land the plane to keep their type rating for when the plane eventually does return to service.

Yeah, theres no such thing for boating. You can actually take the entire test online and never be seen anywhere near a boat and get your safety cert.

Disney might want to do some training themselves, but there are no requirements.

heapster411

Might as well throw my question out there too, Chances of the boats from OKW to Disney Springs getting better? Going @ the end of November, need some good news.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Three take-offs and landings every 90 days. If they want to fly at night, same thing, but to a full stop, and in the dark.

As for boat captain proficiency at WDW, it's probably a good idea that you let them practice docking on a regular basis if they're not carrying pax every day.

Last edited:

LastoneOn

We all would like that. But that wasn't the question. No biggie I get you.

Ask another: did they notify those making reservations that the boats were definitely NOT running, or are they relying on the usual "not all things may be available" notice? If its the latter, then that was bad decision, because there is certainly an exception that disruptions are unusual and short (accidental in a way). And from years of past practice they announce quite far ahead when something is planned to be unavailable.

the safety spiel on the parking tram can last longer than the ride
crazy

LastoneOn

Aircraft are running through 3 dimensional space, boats not really same way. up down forward
Boats are more forward or drift. Under power or not. There is no up and there is no down unless you're sinking (and no amount of hours behind the wheel is going to help you there)

Boats are a lot about power and momentum management, timing, distance perception. There's an ingrained sort of knowledge, feel, like a riding a bike, that stays with you. Doesn't take much to get back up to speed, as it were.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom