Friends/Coworkers etc.. Reactions to Disney Wedding/Honeymoon

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
Has anyone else experienced a not so great reaction when you've told someone about your Disney wedding and honeymoon? We've officially decided on a small Wishes wedding and are most likely going to do a few days in the parks after our wedding followed by a Disney cruise for our honeymoon. When I told my best friend/maid of honor our plans her reaction was like "Really? Disney for your honeymoon?? :eek:" I completely understand that not everyone has the same love for Disney as we do on here, but it was just a very disappointing reaction. My other friend later said something along the lines of "Why not go somewhere more romantic?" Without even going into details of why I would want a Disney honeymoon it just seems completely crazy in my opinion to have my wedding in Florida (while I live in MA) and then after the wedding fly somewhere else for our honeymoon. I'm not letting it get me down I just wasn't expecting reactions like that from my friends. :shrug: Anyone else ever have this kind of experience?

WDWmazprty

We went to Disney for our honeymooon too, and we got mixed reactions. Some people are just ignorant and can't possibly fathom Disneyworld being a place to go for a honeymoon. If its not the Caribbean or a cruise then you're weird!:eek::brick::lol:

Don't sweat it, you and your wife will be the ones enjoying yourselves on your honeymoon; in the end you two are the only ones it matters to anyway! :D

gr8gonzo

Yes...

This happened when DH & I went to visit the mouse for our 15th anniversary last year... It was our 1st trip w/o the kids, but 4th trip to WDW. Almost everyone thought it was really sweet that my husband suprised me with an anniversary trip, but only about half really 'got it' when it came to the choice of WDW. Some pepople have been to WDW some haven't. Most of those questioning the choice have never been, but some of the people have been to WDW (and weren't happy with their trip so I just sort of ignore their comments). Then their were the other comments from family & friends that have never been (and would LOVE to go) but they know how much we love & enjoy going...

Like it was stated previously, as long as the two of you are happy, that's REALLY all that matters. Because the simple fact is... not everyone falls into the Disney Freakazoid category like "we" do. LOL

Ariel484

When I told my maid of honor (also my cousin) that we were going to WDW for our honeymoon, her reaction was "oh, that's...unique." Come on, if you think it's lame, just say so! :rolleyes: :lol:

I wouldn't let it bother you. They probably just don't understand.

DrummerAlly

Yup - when we told people that we were going to WDW for our honeymoon we had similar reactions. People thought we were crazy for not wanting to go to the Caribbean. I think they're crazy for WANTING to go to the Caribbean. You'll have a fantastic time - enjoy it!

baymenxpac

mhmm. it comes with the territory. people say that all the time. and to me, it sounds so silly every time.

leaving out the problem with people being so presumptuous to think that you would want THEIR opinion on YOUR honeymoon destination, i think the main disconnect for people is they just don't get the resort aspect of it. yes, you can go to the parks. you can also do about 9 million other things that are just as upscale, romantic and intimate as being stuck on a secluded beach somewhere.

fortunately for my fiancee and i, we got engaged in disney too. so we just answer the question easily with a giggle and a "yeah, we're going back to the scene of the crime" kind of thing. but honestly, i don't care to justify it much more than that. we love disney. we're getting married. it's what we want to do. if people don't get it, that's cool.

growing up, other parents used to say that to my folks all the time. when we'd say we were going to disney on vacation again, someone would inevitably say "DISNEY?! AGAIN?!" of course, these are people who have time shares like...in the woods in upstate new york somewhere, so i don't get how you could go THERE again and again. but i digress...

one of my friends said "don't you want your honeymoon to be a once in a lifetime experience?!" he went back packing through europe on his. personally, i'd rather do just about anything other than hiking through greece or something. so each to each their own. don't get discouraged because of people's reactions. i think if you and your chosen partner have similar interests, love to be around each other and are big kids at heart, you have a super strong foundation for a great marriage.

congrats and enjoy :)

KJ1081

Surprisingly, everyone thought it was an awesome idea, especially once they heard how cheap it was and that he'd proposed in the MK. I really thought people would think it was weird, but people thought it was a fun idea. I was surprised at the amount of people who told us we were smart for doing it this way, rather than waste tens of thousands of dollars on one day.

To the OP- I'm sorry you've had to deal with nay-sayers. All that matters is that it's what you guys want. Congrats and best wishes with planning!

bmarkelon

You did the right thing to post here....because you are guaranteed the appropriate reactions from us. Some people just don't get it. We do!! :sohappy: we were not able to pull off a Disney wedding, way too many people invited. But we know that Disney vow renewal will be in our future! Congratulations and best wishes to both. Have a fabulous and magical time!

BrittanyRose428

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Its just such a bummer that my best friend would think like that I guess lol, but my future husband and I are completely in love with a Disney wedding/honeymoon and are so looking forward to it! I guess I just don't understand why people would even respond like that, I think the pack backing through Europe idea would be more un-romantic but if my best friend told me that I think I'd be more supportive, to each their own though lol.

Fashionista007

Wow I was thinking of starting a thread just like this because I'm going through the same frustration. People have been complaining about how expensive it is to travel to Disney - ok but I didn't ask anyone to stay at a monorail hotel!! There are cheaper ways to do it. Ugh. We also have people who are arguing that Universal is better and they're not getting any tickets to Disney. We just smile and nod :hammer: Just know that some people thrive on making others miserable so the best way to handle them is smile and ignore it.

Ravenclaw87

I agree--- out of all of the people in my grad program, I think I might be the only one who has ever BEEN to Walt Disney World! They seem to think that my wedding is going to be filled with Disney music and castles. It's frustrating, but what are you gonna do?

nolatron

I seem to get the opposite reaction. Whenever someone learns we got married and honeymooned at WDW, we get an almost jealous like reaction. "Really?! That must have been awesome." "I wished we could've..." etc...

Maybe everyone we know secretly loves Disney, heh. But it's been a positive thing for us.

Ilovewishes

DH and I are planning to renew our vows at Disney one day and rather than giving our friends chance to respond negatively, I put it to them as "this is my clever ploy to FINALLY get you to Disney World" with a wicked little smile.

Gets them every time!:goodnevil

foreverbelle

Yes. We went on our honeymoon to Disney, it was my husbands first time. He was actually really skeptical and was the one that was making the weird remarks. But he knew I loved it. Now, he is just as much of a fanatic as I am.

We got reaction like that all the time, when we told them that we were doing it they were like Seriously??? Your going to Disney?

I don't think people stop to really think, a honeymoon is what you make of it. Some like adventure, my in laws went to Costa Rica and went zipwire sailing, something that doesn't interest me. But its what you want, not what they want.

Just last year we took my entire family down to the World, and the first thing my older sister said was she didn't realize how many people honeymooned down there.

My suggestion is just say, 'Who wouldn't want to get married and be a Princess for a day?'

TomHendricks

Most people are surprised when we tell them we got married at WDW. Its usually asked back as a question, "you got married at Disneyworld?" We wouldn't change it for anything, we love the fact we got married at WDW. We had an amazing wedding coordinator, we were not stressed and we actually enjoyed our own wedding. I would recommend it to anyone who would consider it.

051974-0761.jpg

moonspinner

Okay, I have to say it, TomHendricks.... Beautiful shot!!! Love it!

And to our lovely OP, please don't let the negative comments from others affect your preparations for your wedding and honeymoon. Everyone deserves to have the wedding and honeymoon of their choice and if Disney World is yours then enjoy it fully and never look back. :animwink:

And, for the record, if we could have afforded a Walt Disney World vacation, I'm sure we have done so, but we both got married young and broke. :rolleyes: I look back now with two daughters and think, wow, my folks must have trusted me so much more than I realized.... or their nuts, too. In fact, we just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary yesterday.

We are still broke. :lol:

And, for what it is worth, my sister celebrated her honeymoon at WDW and loved it.

LeeSeeBabe

My husband and I both really wanted the Disney Wedding but could not afford it. So, we honeymooned there! (Our engagement was planned to be on the Disney Wonder....long story short... it ended up being our Engagement Celebration Vacation). Honestly, I was pretty surprised that no one really had any negative opinion about our Honeymoon destination. I was expecting to hear something, mainly because we LIVE in Florida (< 3.5 hours driving distance)! I was living in Orlando when my hubby and I met (he was living in Ft. Myers where I'm from and where we now live) and Disney was such a big part of how we came to be! Every weekend he was able to visit we were at Disney, we would go to the resorts and DTD if we couldn't wrangle up a ticket for him.

No one was shocked when our honeymoon destination was revealed.... as a matter of fact, it was a "Wow, big surprise.. not".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom