Fresh FLE News for March 2010

jt04

Original Poster
So, that has not stopped you from posting a "Way to go TDO" at the drop of a hat. :lol: If anything, that blind approval seems like PR.

Being selfish has nothing to do with it. It's about quality and substance. You know what Walt did for young families? Be built Dark Rides. In 1955, and in 1983. I don't see why they can't do that in 2010.

FL will have 5 dark rides. :cool:

I only praise when I mean it. :wave:

Being selfish has everything to do with it for some people here. They have stated outright they would rather see the money go to something that would appeal to them specifically. That is selfish. If JL says the FLE has substance I believe it. It amazes me that some people seem to think they know better than him. :lol:

jt04

Original Poster
Same mode, as always, jt. There's been no consequential news on this since the Expo, even though there have been several opportunities to do so. They don't owe us anything, but they are doing themselves a disservice by letting the waters grow cold. Sounds like PI.

And look at WoC. Every few days, an update. THAT'S Buzz.

The can't hide WoC although I know they would like to.

My guess is they are saving their ammo for after or during the Potter opening. That is smart.

EPCOT Explorer

FL will have 5 dark rides. :cool:

I only praise when I mean it. :wave:

Being selfish has everything to do with it for some people here. They have stated outright they would rather see the money go to something that would appeal to them specifically. That is selfish. If JL says the FLE has substance I believe it. It amazes me that some people seem to think they know better than him. :lol:
I'd ask for proof, but that road has been traveled one to many a time, and so has the response.:snore:
The can't hide WoC although I know they would like to.

My guess is they are saving their ammo for after or during the Potter opening. That is smart.

That would be smart, you are right.

We shall see. ;)

KevinFlynn

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to think they know more than John Lasseter. The man is a legend to the highest degree. But John is very much a company man. He's not going to come out and disagree with something, and if they told him how to sell this expansion, he's gonna sell it.*

I think that most people who disagree with the expansion don't see it becoming a significant return on investment. Most see it as something that won't attract a mass amount of new guests, rather it will bring the same old people into the park, whereas if they scrapped the meet and greet section and put a big ticket ride(IJA, Tron) somewhere else, it would attract those that would not normally go to WDW and the Magic Kingdom.**

*I'm not saying that JL doesn't agree with the expansion, just saying a possible situation.

**I realize that that would be more expensive, but it would also present a better return of investment, IMO.

Wilt Dasney

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to think they know more than John Lasseter. The man is a legend to the highest degree. But John is very much a company man. He's not going to come out and disagree with something, and if they told him how to sell this expansion, he's gonna sell it.*
Exactly. What is Lasseter supposed to say?

Appealing to the authority of a Disney executive on the quality of a Disney project is like citing the sponsor of a Senate bill as a source on why it would be a good law.

jt04

Original Poster
Exactly. What is Lasseter supposed to say?

Appealing to the authority of a Disney executive on the quality of a Disney project is like citing the sponsor of a Senate bill as a source on why it would be a good law.

He isn't an innocent bystander watching the world go by. He is a contributor with an accomplished track record. That is why he is credible. Second guess him if you must but I think it's unwarrented.

jt04

Original Poster

I think that most people who disagree with the expansion don't see it becoming a significant return on investment. Most see it as something that won't attract a mass amount of new guests, rather it will bring the same old people into the park, whereas if they scrapped the meet and greet section and put a big ticket ride(IJA, Tron) somewhere else, it would attract those that would not normally go to WDW and the Magic Kingdom.**

*I'm not saying that JL doesn't agree with the expansion, just saying a possible situation.

**I realize that that would be more expensive, but it would also present a better return of investment, IMO.

He provided a very long detailed explanation of the FLE. A lot of folks seem to have forgotten or discounted it. I haven't.

KevinFlynn

He provided a very long detailed explanation of the FLE. A lot of folks seem to have forgotten or discounted it. I haven't.

I don't think anyone has forgotten it. He gave a great description.

But he's a company man. It could have been genuine, and it could have been a sales pitch. Doesn't mean the man isn't any less of a creative genius. But you have to realize that he's a company man.

CaptainMichael

He isn't an innocent bystander watching the world go by. He is a contributor with an accomplished track record. That is why he is credible. Second guess him if you must but I think it's unwarrented.

He has only contributed animated films. Brilliant, innovative, endearing films, but animated films nonetheless. Point me to an attraction he has done anything but play a Jungle Cruise Skipper on. I like John, and I like his movies, but he is a Disney employee high up on the chain of command who only seems to really care about Disneyland. When it comes to films and ideas, he is credible, with themepark attractions/lands, that remains to be seen.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't see Dumbo as a anchor. It's a B tic and it's getting plussed.

Dumbo is certainly an achor of that area. Anyone with kids can tell you that riding Dumbo is such a huge part of the MK. Taking Dumbo to the next level is such a huge thing for a LOT of guests. It doesn't matter what class of ticket you want to assign it.

EPCOT Explorer

Dumbo is certainly an achor of that area. Anyone with kids can tell you that riding Dumbo is such a huge part of the MK. Taking Dumbo to the next level is such a huge thing for a LOT of guests. It doesn't matter what class of ticket you want to assign it.

It was, for me too, at one point. :)

That said...is it really that much of an addition? It's capacity is plussed, that's a good thing, but besides that can it really be considered a large part of the FLE? I know they are calling it a "Miniland", but I would hope that it's more than just the new ride facility.

Probably going to get the Barnstormer, for it to be called a miniland.

jt04

Original Poster
Put up, or shut up. :)

I'd like to see that.

Perhaps someone saved a link or knows where to find it and will post it. It was excellent though. As for him just being a movie guy that only cares about DL, well both points are utterly false. Those claiming so are the ones who need to offer "proof". I noticed you never demand proof from people making negative claims. Odd.

Later.

EPCOT Explorer

Perhaps someone saved a link or knows where to find it and will post it. It was excellent though. As for him just being a movie guy that only cares about DL, well both points are utterly false. Those claiming so are the ones who need to offer "proof". I noticed you never demand proof from people making negative claims. Odd.

Later.

I'm eager to see the interview, however...I'm searching as we speak.

IWant2GoNow

Something else I just thought of concerning FLE. Does anyone see the M&Gs consistently being busy years into the future? These experiences seem very immersive, but even if I was a small child I think once or twice through them would be good for a lifetime of visits to WDW. Then each trip back I'd skip them to get to more dark rides/E tickets. I know each child is different and a lot of them will probably want to revisit the M&Gs but I can't see these having the same amount of staying power as say a Splash Mountain, JC, or HM. I mean, these are rides that people MUST do when going to MK. Will we be saying the same about these M&Gs even 5 years after they are built (if they are)? IMO I don't see it happening long term. Good for short term as they will eat up TONS of guests/kids for their first experiences, but I think after that first time it'll just become like a ETR:UNM, or a CoP where the numbers just dwindle year after year. I'm probably wrong, but I think another dark ride or some big E ticket would consistently get people coming back year after year with the intent of being one of those rides that is a MUST do.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Something else I just thought of concerning FLE. Does anyone see the M&Gs consistently being busy years into the future? These experiences seem very immersive, but even if I was a small child I think once or twice through them would be good for a lifetime of visits to WDW. Then each trip back I'd skip them to get to more dark rides/E tickets. I know each child is different and a lot of them will probably want to revisit the M&Gs but I can't see these having the same amount of staying power as say a Splash Mountain, JC, or HM. I mean, these are rides that people MUST do when going to MK. Will we be saying the same about these M&Gs even 5 years after they are built (if they are)? IMO I don't see it happening long term. Good for short term as they will eat up TONS of guests/kids for their first experiences, but I think after that first time it'll just become like a ETR:UNM, or a CoP where the numbers just dwindle year after year. I'm probably wrong, but I think another dark ride or some big E ticket would consistently get people coming back year after year with the intent of being one of those rides that is a MUST do.

Remember that there will be a fresh batch of kids coming each year to experience them. The old kids will then move onto some of the other ttractions. It's the right of passage through the MK!

I also would think that the new M&Gs will be designed with the possibiliity of changing the story to some extent to vary the experience.

IWant2GoNow

Remember that there will be a fresh batch of kids coming each year to experience them. The old kids will then move onto some of the other ttractions. It's the right of passage through the MK!

I also would think that the new M&Gs will be designed with the possibiliity of changing the story to some extent to vary the experience.

Yea, I know there's an endless amount of kiddies that will come each year (just look at all the potentials with stroller clutter everywhere :)). But I just don't see some of the kids ever latching on to the M&Gs the way some do with like PPF or TMAoWtP or Dumbo. But I guess there's a demand for the M&Gs so I could be horribly wrong and this could be the start of some M&G renaissance throughout the parks. (I hope not.)

If they are designed for story-tweaking that would make my point moot. I think it would be in their best interest to keep making these M&Gs fresh with new stories and activities every few years or so. I didn't realize that was a possibility. Thanks, Steve.

Daannzzz

Yea, I know there's an endless amount of kiddies that will come each year (just look at all the potentials with stroller clutter everywhere :)). But I just don't see some of the kids ever latching on to the M&Gs the way some do with like PPF or TMAoWtP or Dumbo. But I guess there's a demand for the M&Gs so I could be horribly wrong and this could be the start of some M&G renaissance throughout the parks. (I hope not.)

If they are designed for story-tweaking that would make my point moot. I think it would be in their best interest to keep making these M&Gs fresh with new stories and activities every few years or so. I didn't realize that was a possibility. Thanks, Steve.

Perhaps they are relying on this exact issue in hopes that the lines are only one hour instead of two.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom