Fresh FLE News for March 2010

jt04

Original Poster
The point I was trying to make was that MK is severely lacking of a major E-Ticket. Cutting out 2 of the meet and greets would leave enough to funds to put an attraction such as Indiana Jones into the park.

I'm not sure about that. From everything we are being told the m&g's are cheap filler. However, if you are right that they cost 10's of million of dollars then I think it's safe to assume they will be very special and amazing additions.

The MK is not lacking especially after the FLE opens. DHS and DAK are where the money needs to go after the FLE. I wouldn't be looking for something on the scale of an IJ at the MK for a long time. Especially with so much needing to be done at the other parks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The point I was trying to make was that MK is severely lacking of a major E-Ticket. Cutting out 2 of the meet and greets would leave enough to funds to put an attraction such as Indiana Jones into the park.

That would seem unrealistic. Something like Indiana Jones is going to cost in the ballpark of $100 million these days. The meet and greets won't be anywhere near that.

krankenstein

I'm going to throw out that I also agree that Pixie Hollow needs to be cut. The franchise is sinking and looking more and more like a failure. I really think that area should be rethought and changed to something else, Wonderland being an amazing choice.

jt04

Original Poster
I'm going to throw out that I also agree that Pixie Hollow needs to be cut. The franchise is sinking and looking more and more like a failure. I really think that area should be rethought and changed to something else, Wonderland being an amazing choice.

Maybe they can do PH and Wonderland if they relocate Dumbo. I really think Dumbo is "miscast" in the FF concept.

Buy the way, not arguing but I noticed some of the pixie DVD's sold really well recently with many units moved. Is this idea that it is "fading" a meme or do we have actual data somewhere? :shrug:

I'm not sure about that. From everything we are being told the m&g's are cheap filler. However, if you are right that they cost 10's of million of dollars then I think it's safe to assume they will be very special and amazing additions.

The MK is not lacking especially after the FLE opens. DHS and DAK are where the money needs to go after the FLE. I wouldn't be looking for something on the scale of an IJ at the MK for a long time. Especially with so much needing to be done at the other parks.
Speaking of DAK any word on the Journey to the Center of the Earth rumor?Star tours 2.0 should give DHS the boost it needs then the Monsters Inc coaster plans should come into play.

DisneyNut2007

I just do not understand all the Fantasy Land hatin'. :shrug: If a new interactive land would not drive ticket sales then what is WWoHP?

I enjoy the Pixie Hollow movies and so do my 2 nieces, 2 and 4. It give back story to old characters and introduces new ones. Next year when they get to meet the characters for the first time, I can not wait to see their faces. My daughter is only 9 months but I am loving the fact that when she is old enough to enjoy the park the expansion will be complete(for now). So that means that another trip will be in our future. Bam! They got me for a second trip and we haven't taken our first trip yet.

Here, here!

Not only am I sick and tired of all the hatred being slung towards the overall Fantasyland expansion. I'm sick and tired of the Pixie Hollow-bashing as well!

Also, Tim Burton's version of "Alice" does not look suitable for the MK anyway.

jt04

Original Poster
Speaking of DAK any word on the Journey to the Center of the Earth rumor?Star tours 2.0 should give DHS the boost it needs then the Monsters Inc coaster plans should come into play.

It's seems as though FLE was chosen over the MI-esque concept. And then JR went to Hawaii also. So the focus has moved to DHS IMO. Any big new additions such as an MI type land seems to be tied to how much impact TWWoHP has on WDW. Waiting and seeing.

TP2000

I never even set foot in DL's PH, because the concept didn't appeal to me at all. It sounds like I should have given it a chance, but nothing I read about it on the map made it sound worth the time.

I was in the same boat with you, until they added the nighttime Enchantment shows to Pixie Hollow last summer for Summer Nightastic!. I still have no desire to wait for 45 minutes in that admittedly beautifully themed and landscaped queue for a glorified M&G with Tink and whatever other Politically Correct Pixie they've staffed that shift.
PixieHollow4-102508-AVP.jpg

3623317450_bc2964920d.jpg

But the light and water "Pixie Hollow Enchantment" show they do in the lagoon and trees around Pixie Hollow after sundown every 15 minutes is a really neat thing. I hesitate to link this YouTube video, because it's one of those things that can't even begin to be experienced via an amateur YouTube video in the dark, but this is a decent taste of what this show is about. There's actually several different versions, so the same one isn't playing every 15 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1kDPp2g6KY&feature=related

All that said, as nicely done as Disneyland's Pixie Hollow is, the line to meet the pixies is ridiculously slow moving. I had to do it once with my young nieces, and it was like waiting to get on Peter Pan in slow motion. Even with the waterfalls and lagoons and little pixie houses built in the landscaping to look at, it just crawled along at a snails pace.

I really look forward to the M&G's in the FLE at WDW, because certainly they are going to be doing something differently with those. Multiple rooms that handle 30 or 40 people at a time? The hourly capacity needs to be in the 700+ per hour range for each M&G, or else it's just going to be horrific. :eek:

TP2000

That would seem unrealistic. Something like Indiana Jones is going to cost in the ballpark of $100 million these days. The meet and greets won't be anywhere near that.

Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland was widely reported in the media to have cost over $100 Million, with reports in newspapers and TV news being "well over $100 Million" up to more specific figures of "$125 Million, and the most expensive ride ever at Disneyland". That was 15 years ago, in March, 1995.

I'm sure if they built another Indy today, it would be well north of $100 Million. Radiator Springs Racers is currently being reported as costing "more than $200 Million", so the cost for these big, signature E Tickets is growing.

I'd be fascinated to learn what the FLE M&G's are costing them. It sounds like they are going all out on them and willing to spend some big bucks for showmanship.

It's seems as though FLE was chosen over the MI-esque concept. And then JR went to Hawaii also. So the focus has moved to DHS IMO. Any big new additions such as an MI type land seems to be tied to how much impact TWWoHP has on WDW. Waiting and seeing.
Agreed but I think Star Tours 2.0 is what DHS needs right now.

EPCOT Explorer

Dang you and mousdad figured out what is so great about m&g's. They absorb crowds. :lol:

But seriously, Disney can add m&g's as needed during the day/season. And make it so people have to come back to "collect them all". So much potential for these to become popular must-see experiences for youngsters and their parents.
....If that's the case...why does it need an entire, albeit beautiful expansion centered around it? :shrug:
I'm not sure I understand the complaints i've been reading Pixie Hollow :shrug: I mean yeah, maybe the franchise wasn't as big as Disney expected.. but to me that doesn't detract from how beautiful the area is and the great detail that went into it. I'm curious if you're all familiar with the Enchantment shows that go on at DL's Pixie Hollow. If they could somehow replicate that the MK on a slightly larger scale I think it would look amazing.

I have a question about the meet-and-greets.. Will they run on a timed schedule or will they happen constantly throughout the day? I'm wondering if you will be allowed to tour the character's houses even if the characters aren't present for meet-and-greets.
Exactly. I'd be for that...and even the M/G if it was done the right way. ;)

jt04

Original Poster
:lol:;)

You said:

Sounds simple to me.

You misunderstand. I think they can have elaborate settings as we have seen in the concept art but they could be closed when the queues are reasonable at the other m&g's. The "extra" ones could function along the lines and scope of Turtle Talk and be rather automated. So instead of a foamhead or live character, it could be animated. Something along those lines but certainly not just the standard m&g in front of a cardboard backdrop. Anything to handle the crowds/wait times it appears they are worried about.

EPCOT Explorer

You misunderstand. I think they can have elaborate settings as we have seen in the concept art but they could be closed when the queues are reasonable at the other m&g's. The "extra" ones could function along the lines and scope of Turtle Talk and be rather automated. So instead of a foamhead or live character, it could be animated. Something along those lines but certainly not just the standard m&g in front of a cardboard backdrop. Anything to handle the crowds/wait times it appears they are worried about.

That answers nothing of my question. If they are to be used in that fashion, why is the ENTIRE land based on them? What are they going to do, stop all of the M/G's because of lines?

:zipit:

jt04

Original Poster
That answers nothing of my question. If they are to be used in that fashion, why is the ENTIRE land based on them? What are they going to do, stop all of the M/G's because of lines?

:zipit:

They would always need a minimum number functioning. Then if the crowds are anticipated to be higher than normal the just open additional m&g's. Similar to how the add extra hours on heavy days or run one side of SM on low days and both sides when warrented. WDW74 talks about how they use ride throughput as crowd control all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom