Fresh Citrus near WDW?

JollyRoger

One of the things I used to look forward to visiting my Aunt if Florida is getting some fresh, local oranges. Anyone know a good place to get any on the way to WDW?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I had to laugh when I read your post.
Yea....I'm so old I remember flying into the dinky airport and driving down the small roads with stands selling bags of citrus along with the cow herds and open swamp....I can't say when the last time I saw a fruit stand in the Orlando area....

Upvote 0

coasterphil

Orange World is still on 192, but I don't think any of the stuff in there would be considered "fresh". Their focus seems to be on t-shirts at this point, so its really just another one of the tacky gift shops just inside of an orange rather than a wizard/lighthouse/mermaid/etc.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Orange World is still on 192, but I don't think any of the stuff in there would be considered "fresh". Their focus seems to be on t-shirts at this point, so its really just another one of the tacky gift shops just inside of an orange rather than a wizard/lighthouse/mermaid/etc.
Ahh - haven't been inside that for years - I just always assumed they sold oranges. Silly me!

Upvote 0

peemagg

That place was there 3 years ago. We bought oranges from them. We placed the order and they sent them to our house. Man those were some of the best I've ever ate!

Upvote 0

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
It's definitely still there.

Picture100.jpg

But they certainly did seem more focused on T-Shirts than oranges. You could get oranges, but I have no idea of the quality or price.

Upvote 0

MissM

It also depends on the time of year you're here. A friend of mine was surprised to learn that we don't have citrus in season at all times of the year. For example, my friend has four trees in his backyard that give beautiful fruit. But they'll come ripe around February. He'll give a lot of it away, juice the rest and freeze it. The rest of the year, the oranges in our supermarkets come from South America and such. Which is terribly ironic. It can actually be very hard to find Florida citrus within Florida as much of it is shipped out of state for juice purposes.

You can check out something like Sun Groves which ship different types of Florida citrus when it comes into season to anywhere. There are other sites like this, but this was the first I thought of since there's a couple locations in the Tampa Bay area. Might want to look for any other grower or grove rather than a tourist shop. Of course, if you can find someone who grows trees of their own - like my friend - you'll get some amazing fruit!
-m

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom